Thread: Yaz, anybody?

Default Yaz, anybody?

Hi ladies,
    Just a quick question for those of you who use Yaz (or who are familiar with pricing for contraceptive pills) - wtf, is it really so expensive?!
    My doctor prescribed Yaz to treat my acne (which I'm absolutely positive is being caused by PCOS but he wrote that one off, I'm currently seeking a second opinion), and I was just having a look online to see where I could get it cheapest in town... but it's so, so, so expensive! I used to use Trifeme/Triphasil and it was about $28 for a 4-month supply, please correct me if I'm wrong (I really hope I am) but from what I can see here, a ONE-month supply of Yaz is the same price, 3 months' worth costs a staggering $65!! That's absolutely ridiculous!
    My doc prescribed Yaz because he told me I won't put on any weight, I avoid hormonal contraception because Implanon, Trifeme and every other pill I've tried before has made me pack on the pounds - I'm terrified of gaining weight and he assured me that Yaz won't... but at that price, I'd almost be more willing to go back to Trifeme and stop bloody eating

Is Yaz really so expensive? Is it even worth that kind of money? Any quick answers would be greatly appreciated because AF arrived yesterday so I need to commence the pill asap or it'll have to wait another month
    TIA!

A friend of mine uses it and swears by it. It has helped with her acne and she doesn't put on weight. It is quite expensive though, I can't remember how much it costs exactly. I don't think it's available on the PBS so you hve to pay full price for it, I could be wrong though.

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

I couldn't handle it. Got some in Thailand cos it was cheaper (was living in Hong Kong). Took it for about 6 weeks, bled the whole freaking time, heightened sense of smell, lots of cramping, felt nauseous a lot. Hmm, this probably isn't a very helpful post! Best advice would be to get a 1 or 2 packets off your Dr first, just to try it out, they usually have samples lying around.

I got a free 2 months trial from my GP. I only used one month though cause it made me go crazy!!! Scarey crazy! GP reckoned I had too much estrogen in my system that sent me crazy. I mean, I told a 5 year old kid at the swimming pool that if he spat at DS once more i would hold his head under the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!! I was the most awful person when i was on Yaz. When the dr said he thought it was cause of the pill i didnt believe it. But i stopped taking it that day and havent been awful like that since, thank goodness!

My sister had been taking it and swears by it, but the cost made her stop using it. My sister never gained a gram whilst on it and it helped her with her moods greatly which was her reason for seeking a different pill from the one she was on as she felt other pills besides the Yaz were sending her crazy.

I agree with the PP, try to get a month or 2 from your Dr to see how you react to it.

Thanks for your replies, ladies
    I ended up getting some free sample packs from my GP a couple of weeks ago and AF arrived a few days later... (warning: a bit of TMI to follow...)
    So I've been on Yaz for nearly two weeks now, taking it at the same time every day as directed. But I'm still bleeding?! Is this normal? I feel... okay, I guess, the normal AF aches and pains (well, really achy and painy thanks to 'mild' PCOS), and I feel a bit sick in the guts within about 3 hours of taking the Yaz (it goes away again about two hours after it sets in), but I thought AF was meant to be lighter and shorter on Yaz than normal? As it is, AF usually only hangs around for 5-7 days but I'm on day 13 of the pill and still have plenty of dark brownish, sludgy discharge every time I wipe and I still have to use a pad (a liner's not good enough). Is something wrong? I'm going to go see the Dr if it hasn't stopped by Monday, but I'm just a bit
    If anybody could help out, I'd really appreciate it. TIA!

Default Yaz, anybody?

I was like that too Glamourcide. I didn't stick on it long enough to see if my cycles would regulate as I got really depressed and over emotional when taking it so I went straight back on my old pill. The dr told me to try it as there are meant to be less side effects - less weight gain, more stable moods etc but I had nothing but trouble with it. Good luck with it!

I just replied to another thread as i started Yaz on the 18th of dec and still bleeding so im going off it. Boobs are sore.get dizzy and headaches. Looks like hubby will have to get that vasectomy!

Yep. I was on it when I was 17 and back then it was 55. (5 years ago)
    Can he give you a sample to try first? Or can you ask?
    I only suggest as when I was on it I felt depressed all the time, and my periods would last three weeks out of 4. However, my skin was fantastic and I never put on weight.

I know this is a really old thread, just wondered if you found what caused your acne G?

If you didn't go and see a dermatologist - GPs are completely useless at diagnosing it, they just love to prescribe Yaz and Diane and hope it clear it up, never mind the actually effects of taking such a massively high eostrogen based pill!
    Anyway, so glad I went to a dermatologist, I haven't had a problem with my acne since.

Hey Lime,
    Well I had no idea that post-preggo hormones could last so long post-birth (ie, over a year!), but I guess that was probably it - for the last four or five months, my skin has been pretty clear apart from my monthly pre-AF pizza-face.
    I recently had another scan for the suspected PCOS and whaddaya know, the mystery cysts that were only found after DD2's birth, have magically shrunk, some of them disappearing completely - it's so weird! I still have horrible period pain (which I never had in my life before DD2 was born) and clotting/heavy AF, but my Dr is telling me that it must be my body's version of 'normal'
    I guess in a way it's a good thing - no PCOS is good obviously, a week's worth of super-strength codeine is not, but you can't win 'em all! I took the Yaz as prescribed for a full cycle (Dr gave me three sample packs when I explained that the cost was difficult for me) and the bleeding persisted so I gave up.

My Sister is on Yaz for her skin conditions but was warned that it's not very effective as an actual contraceptive. Weight gain...a bit, but it's probably normal gain rather than the pill.

I personally am never touching the pill or Implanon ever again. Not worth the acne, and this pregnancy was a result of the pill (which NEVER failed me before!) and the morning after pill....so not sure what path I'm going down next.

My acne only cleared up ith zero chemicals and washing with water *only*, patting dry and leaving the skin to regulate itself (no toner or moisturiser). Now I moisturise with a no chemical brand once or twice a week. The washing with water only thing was something I found while searching long and hard for a last resort, after trying a gazillion things...I never wanted to go to the Dr to get drugs for it but was close to resorting to it...I was *really* skeptical but honestly, it's been a godsend.

I am still a tiny bit bumpy and still have typical pink toned british skin...but no more acne in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by angelaartsstudent View Post
    My Sister is on Yaz for her skin conditions but was warned that it's not very effective as an actual contraceptive. Weight gain...a bit, but it's probably normal gain rather than the pill.

I personally am never touching the pill or Implanon ever again. Not worth the acne, and this pregnancy was a result of the pill (which NEVER failed me before!) and the morning after pill....so not sure what path I'm going down next.

My acne only cleared up ith zero chemicals and washing with water *only*, patting dry and leaving the skin to regulate itself (no toner or moisturiser). Now I moisturise with a no chemical brand once or twice a week. The washing with water only thing was something I found while searching long and hard for a last resort, after trying a gazillion things...I never wanted to go to the Dr to get drugs for it but was close to resorting to it...I was *really* skeptical but honestly, it's been a godsend.

I am still a tiny bit bumpy and still have typical pink toned british skin...but no more acne in sight.
    how long does it take the skin to regulate itself??

You mean on a daily basis, when you don't tone or moisturise, or how long does it take to get results? I'll answer both.

After washing and drying, it might feel tight and dry. Within a half hour, the skin's natural oils have provided enough lubrication to not need to moisturise.

In about 3 months it was all cleared up....it went through stages of being uncomfortably dry and tight but I just waited it out and it's sorted itself out. And I am never an oil slick anymore - which was a major problem for me, with the acne. I am still a *tad* oily around the nose, but no more shiny oil slick. It's not that gross, thick type of oil you get with bad acne.

Oh, make sure it's cold tap water, not warm water. I did read why somewhere...something about the opening of the pores I think. I even stopped using an abrasive exfoliant - to exfoliate/scrub now I use a dry towel. Wash morning and night. I use a non chemical face wash in the shower only a couple of times a week, same as the moisturiser.

You can read a lot about the water only method on the net. It won't produce instant results, but after a couple of weeks I really noticed. If you're used to using major chemicals for your acne, it may take longer, as the skin is used to all those chemicals providing for it.

I still use a spot treatment for the odd pimple, but have not had any gross pusy acne for ages. I am starting to get the good skin again that I had in highschool!

Sorry I have babbled bigtime!