Thread: Low lying placenta..

Default Low lying placenta..

Ok so i was told last Friday i have a lower lying placenta, it's not covering the cervix but the Sonographer did say i will need to come back around 34 weeks to check on it again. The thing that's got me confused is that i've had a scan at 7wks, 12wks, 16wks and it wasn't till last weeks at 19wks that something has been said. Does it mean it has possibly moved down cos as the 16wk scan i asked where the placenta was and he said at the back... is that even possible? How close to the cervix can the placenta go before they opt for you to have a c-section? The thought of a c-section completely freaks me out after having two natural labours.

I don't think they look at the placenta and it's position before the 18-20week scan ?? It could also move as your uterus grows, so it might be completely out of the way by the time bub is ready to be born

I'm really hoping so and that's what he seems to think so lets hope the placenta plays by the rules.

It will most likely continue to move away.

The chances of needing a cs for a low lying placenta are low, and it is unnecessary until you move into the realms of praevia.
    Don't stress, there is absolutely nothing you can do to effect the outcome. But if it isn't ON your cervix now, then it never will be.

HTH

I had a low lying placenta with my first baby and was told the same as you have been told, but also assured that most of the time the placenta moves upwards with the growth of your uterus. By the time I went back for a scan at 33 weeks it was well and truly out of the way.

They do check before 20 weeks. At 12 weeks mine was anterior high, but at 20 it was anterior low, and covering the cervix by just a little. Your care provider will have a distance they want it to be away from the cervix for a natural delivery, and that's what they will check at 34 weeks. In 19 out of every 20 cases of LLP at 20 weeks, the placenta will move up as your lower section expands.

My antenatal midwife encouraged me to visualise the placenta moving upwards, so I did. It helped me to gain confidence, I guess, and feel in tune with my body. And it moved

Hi Danni. I was told I have this too at 20 weeks. I have another scan booked in three weeks time to see if it's moved. I was concerned because he said if it doesn't move i may need to have a caesar, but then he followed with 'but it's only a 1% chance it won't move' so I decided not to think about it too much until I know what's happening at 34 weeks! I figure it's another chance to see our little bun! Good luck xox

Hi Danni, my placenta is low lying as well, I don't think they really check before your foetal anatomy scan anyway (18-20). The obs told me that it corrects itself in 90% of cases by 32 weeks, so you may have to wait until then to see whats going on

Thanks ladies the info has helped me and i will speak with my doctor tomorrow about it as well to see what he says.