Thread: Placenta previa diagnosed at 19 week scan

Default Placenta previa diagnosed at 19 week scan

Hi there,

I am 24 weeks now but at my 19 week scan I was told I have a complete placenta praevia. It is posterior, covering the os and overlapping by 3 cm. I have another scan next week but just feeling a little worried!

I was just wondering if there was anyone else who had a similar diagnosis? If it had moved in time? If you experienced any bleeding or time in hospital? And if you delivered early? At this stage I'm booked in for a caesarean at 38 weeks.

Thanks

Last edited by Magnoliabud; March 11th, 2013 at 06:23 PM.

Default Placenta previa diagnosed at 19 week scan

My friend had it same spot apparently if it posterior it doesn't move as far as if its anterior (hers didn't move) she had a bleed at 33 weeks was kept in hosp a couple days and given steroid shot and was put on bed rest for 2 weeks and had a c/s at 35 weeks, she had her blood collected for months before her c/s in case age needed a transfusion during cs but in the end only lost 100ml so didn't need it .

Thanks for your speedy reply! I've also had one previous caesarean and 2 d&c's so I'm not liking my chances!
    We have a 5 year old and a 3 year old at home so just trying to get a few things organised incase I need to spend some time in hospital, really hoping I don't have to!!!!
    Last edited by Magnoliabud; March 11th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

I had suspected placenta praevia Dx'd at the about 19 weeks, too, but mine was anterior, and by 34 weeks it was right out of the way, so no barrier to vaginal birth.

A year earlier a friend had the same as you, she was told there is pretty much no chance of vaginal birth, and she accepted that she would have to have a C/S at 38 weeks. Her C/S and recovery went really well, with no complications at all. I don't think she had another scan until about 34 weeks, when they confirmed that it was still covering the cervix totally.

I had complete previa also. was diagnosed at 20 weeks scan. started spotting at 30 weeks. scan at 31 weeks confirmed it hadn't moved. had 2 big bleeds and delivered at 34 weeks. mine was running anterior to posterior. my ob cut through my placenta when I had my c/s. there are chances of it moving. mine unfortunately didn't. there is a group on fb for those with previa who are seeking advice and support from others in the same situation or have been in the same situation if you are interested. let me know and I can pm you the link

good luck and I hope it moves for you!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team