Thread: Placental Position: posterior to OS

Default Placental Position: posterior to OS

Placental Position: posterior to OS

At my 20 weeks scan OB said 50/50 chance it will move..!

OK, what are my realistic chances that this placenta isn't going to cause me issues??? I have another scan booked in for 34 weeks to see if it has moved enough! The only bit that scares me is the "if you get bleeding you'll feel like you wet yourself, come into the hospital".....AND "possible bed rest" .... Oh I hope it moves away enough! What is everyone's thoughts/experiences with this.

I'm not sure how much it's covering.. on my pregnancy summary it just says "Placental Position: posterior to OS".

OB has also advised no running, jumping or bedroom funnies!...

Default Re: Placental Position: posterior to OS

postior to OS just means it is on you back . os does mean cervix, but doesnt mean anything about if it is covering or anything at all. basically just that is normal!! just your OB actually say it is covering or give you a number or anything?

nope no number... just that it's low lying!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

From what you first wrote it does not indicate low lying.

If low lying there is a very high chance that it will move up out of the way. As allready posted before me posterior at your back.

this is what confused me also.. I would have thought that she would have put something on the summary sheet that she makes me carry around....maybe she forgot to edit it??

the sonographer also said it was low lying... but it would only effect delivery so I would need another scan to check at 34 weeks..! BUT I didn't think to ask how much was covering or grade will have to wait until my next appointment in 4 weeks to ask her again!

low lying doesnt mean covering. just that it is low =) as your uterus stretches and grows it is more likely to "travel" up, so they do the scan at 34weeks to see where it is at.

dont stress just yet =) (if at all)

Default Placental Position: posterior to OS

I agree with what the others have said. Example: with my DD I was told my placenta was anterior (on the front) and 2mm from my cervix. Sonographer said it will probably move out of the way, but just to be safe get your Ob to book a 32 week scan. Went for the scan, sure enough placenta had moved up.

Most will move, but just to be safe they check.

Quote Originally Posted by ~TT40~ View Post
    low lying doesnt mean covering. just that it is low =) as your uterus stretches and grows it is more likely to "travel" up, so they do the scan at 34weeks to see where it is at.

dont stress just yet =) (if at all)
    Yep, this. Mind moved away by 34 week scan and I had no complications during my pregnancy

thanks ladies... trying not to worry about it and taking it easy!...I wouldn't have worried at all except that she had mentioned bleeding and bed rest! ..... will take it as it comes and hope it's moved enough by the 34 week scan!