Thread: Succenturiate placental lobe

Default Succenturiate placental lobe

Ok all you lovely knowledgable ladies. I am looking for some information on succenturiate placental lobe. Have had a little google but can't find much.

My sister is currently 21 weeks pregnant with her second child and was hoping for a VBAC. Today she was told she has succenturiate placental lobe and they aren't really giving her much information except telling her the basics, that her placenta has 2 parts and is apparently held together by a few veins/arteries. This is all relayed by her so may not e their exact words.
    She also has gestational diabetes and her DD was over 10lbs so they have labeled her as a history of bigger babies.

Is a vbac still a realistic goal with the placenta issue? Will the GD and "history" play against her when added to the succenturiate placental lobe?

Thanks in advance and sorry if it's a bit muddled. On my phone.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I don't know much but my friend has this. She has been told they will monitor by u/s in the weeks leading up to her EDD to see how things look before deciding if she has a CS or VB.

In my experience, the msin resdon you need to know is when birthing the placenta to ensure it all comes out. Also to know the location so as there is no chance of knicking it or the blood vessels (same as normal placenta) if an arm were to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Joeve View Post
    I don't know much but my friend has this. She has been told they will monitor by u/s in the weeks leading up to her EDD to see how things look before deciding if she has a CS or VB.
    See, that's what I thought would be happening with my sister but they didn't say anything like this to her just that they will need to monitor it during labor because it could break/pull away? and be careful when it came to delivering the placenta. How could they monitor it during labor? I'm so confused. Wish I could go with her and support her through this.

Quote Originally Posted by ~TT40~ View Post
    In my experience, the msin resdon you need to know is when birthing the placenta to ensure it all comes out. Also to know the location so as there is no chance of knicking it or the blood vessels (same as normal placenta) if an arm were to happen
    You are a midwife aren't you ~TT40~? Or have I got you mixed up with someone else? Do you believe it is safe to birth naturally with this issue?

Yes I am. It would depend on the location of it and the placenta. So I can't say one way or the other without more information.

On a side note a csec would have its risks because of the lobe too.

I had an undiagnosed one with my last pg, it wasn't until I had delivered my placenta and the midwife commented as to why I hadn't mentioned it, I told her I hadn't even know. But as TT40 has mentioned it mostly is a problem if only the main bit of the placenta comes out and the lobe is left in, it can cause a fair amount of bleeding I was told.

So basically tell her to discuss all her options with her care providers and go with her gut feeling? She sounds a little lost on it all. She is worried they are going to use this to scare her out of a vbac. Thank guys for your replies.