Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it ok for DS to go to playgroup when I have shingles?

Default Is it ok for DS to go to playgroup when I have shingles?

A friend of mine has offered to pick up DS and take him to playgroup this week as I have shingles and cant take him.

Is it ok for him to to go? He has never had chicken pox and doesnt have any symptoms at this stage.

TIA.

I would think he should be ok? Where is your shingles rash? As long as its covered, you are actually ok to go as well. I had a shingles rash on my back and for someone to catch CP from it would have required them to come into contact with it iykwim?

Shingles is the chicken pox virus re-activating in you. You are therefore contagious and can pass on the virus. Your DS may be incubating it. He may be OK, he may not - you'll find out in a couple of weeks' time. The longer the virus has been incubating, the more contageous the infected person: most people catch it from a person who gets the spots 1-2 days after contact.

I say give playgroup a miss until 3 weeks after your shingles has ended, to be safe. Or hold a pox party at your house. Up to you.

I agree with flying butter. Chickenpox has an incubation period of 2 - 3 weeks, you will probably need to keep him home for at least a month.

Thats what I thought but we arent allowed to visit my new nephew until the incubation period is up. Thats why Im confused.
    I'll stay home as I'm feeling pretty crappy still. The rash is on the bottom half of my shoulder blade and under my boob. So it will definately be covered. Lol I've been covering it with a guaze dressing while BF DS so he cant touch it.

I'm just really confused.

Eta- Damn. I was afraid thatd be the case.

I just read in your sig that you don't vax, my DS has had the CP vax so he was at a lesser risk I guess and he didn't get CP. My Doc told me I was fine to even go to work (I'm a teacher) as long as my rash was covered - I wasn't contagious UNLESS they touched the rash, I guess that's not to say your DS isnt incubating...

Chickenpox is spread by both contact and air droplets, so you don't necessarily not to touch someone who has it to catch it.

My Liebling never had the chicken pox vax, but even with major exposure to other incubating children he never showed signs whilst BFing - he got my antibodies against it. So your DS may be a carrier but not show it this time around.

Soon as he was exposed after stopping BFing, he came down with chicken pox.

I thought the air droplets was only if the blisters were in the mouth?

So I should have been staying home the last week? S**t

What confuses me is that Im told that its fine to go out, its only contagious if someone touches the rash or discharge from the rash but I cant go near a newborn. And despite them having no symptoms, DS and DF might be contagious during the incubation period. Is this because shingles and chicken pox are different? So Im fine but DS and DF are not becuase they might have chicken pox?

I wondered the same thing about the antibodies TFB, just have to wait and see I guess.

Chicken Pox and Shingles are the same virus. Once you have CP it lies dormant in your nervous system, but can be later triggered as shingles.

If you've never had CP, you can get it from someone who has shingles. You cannot "catch" shingles though, it's the virus re-activating without an external agent.

Yeah, I get that but they present differently so I wondered if they can spread differently.

Sorry if this is really frustrating anyone and that I keep going on about it.
    I am trying to understand this but keep getting conflicting information and cant get my head around it.

I have just had shingles (on my face though) .....lasted about 3 months because it kept reoccurring. Both girls were faxed and never got cp bohtnstill went to dc. Dr to
    D me as long as they didn't directly touch it they would be fine.
    Prob doesn't help but that shuts my experience.

When i had shingles when DD was around 7 months my doctor also said she couldnt get CP unless she touches the affected area. I also got told the same when getting phnergan at the chemist.

I was around my nieces, other children, i went to work and nothing came of it.

Shingles does not spread like CP, it's not "air borne", contact only

So as long as he hasnt touched it he should be fine for playgroup?

And, a little ot, DF should be fine to visit the baby once Im better?

He can go! But you can't just to be safe.
    Shingles is not as contagious as chickenpox. Chicken pox can be caught Via air borne droplets shingles can not. To catch chicken pox from shingles you need to come into direct contact from the fluid in the blisters.

Take this from someone who has had shingles 10+ times and has read a lot into it.

The person who was going to pick him up has just messaged me to say shes looked into it and doesnt think its a good idea. So hes not going. Obviously Im not the only one confused by this.

Thanks Em. I believe you, but I guess if the person picking him up is uncomfortable with it, its up to her. He'll get over it. I was hoping for a nap though. Lol

Sorry your little guy didn't get to go.

I'm confused though. If you can't give anyone either shingles or chicken pox unless they touch your rash, why can't you visit a newborn?

I'm not trying to be controversial - just genuinely very confused and interested. Either it is or it isn't contagious. I get that its probably just being extra cautious given the vulnerability of a newborn (and if it was my newborn there's no way you'd be coming near him - sorry lovely!) but it is a contradiction.

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better and rash free soon Calluna, and that your little man stays ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast