Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it ok for DS to go to playgroup when I have shingles?

Thats why Im confused too. It doesnt make sense.
    I totally get why they want us to stay away. Id probably say the same thing.

Thanks Lulu, me too, its making me want to rip my skin off.

Is guess its more about the fact that even though the baby may not touch the affected area 'you' may have intentionally or inadvertently touched it yourself then touch the baby (or someone else who will later be in contact with baby). It's not likely a nb would catch it but better to be on the safe side iykwim, I know that's what id want for my baby. Sucks not to be able to visit when you want to so badly though, not to mention just having shingles- bummer! Have you been using pinetarsol or calomine lotion to help with the itch/healing??

I have calamine lotion but it doesnt do much. I have an antiviral that Ive been taking. I forgot to take a couple of doses the day before yesterday and felt crappier again all day yesterday so it must be doing something.

I was near my newborn with shingles and neither of my kids got it.
    The first time I had shingles I was around someone else's newborn as I didn't know that's what it was until I seen dr and I was so worried but the doctor t the time reassured me that the baby would be fine. As you have to come in direct contact with the wet fluid from the blisters. But having said that I would not go near other peoples babies or pregnant women if I have them. And generally stay home but it is unavoidable at times so when I do go out I cover them with a dressing.

Thanks Em, I feel better about going out knowing that.
    I think Id stress anyway until we knew for sure he didnt have it. Best for everyone that we just stay away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12