thread: Are peapods any good?

Feb 2009

Are peapods any good?

I will be a new mum in July and am trying to get an idea of good cloth nappies to buy.
    I was just about to buy a stack of second hand Peapods and then read a bunch of shocking reviews which has scared me off a bit.
    Are they as annoying as reviewed? leak all the time? Pain to dry? Poor fit? Wear out quickly?
    Just when I thought I was getting somewhere!
    Has anyone used them from the start and loves/reccommends them?
    Thanks

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

I haven't used them for the same reason as you - when I was doing my research I saw far too many bad reviews - more than good.

I picked ones that have more good reviews than bad reviews. Figured I couldn't go wrong that way.

Jul 2006

Another thats not a fan of them. Always leak and not a good fit on my kids at all. They are emergency nappies here..

Oct 2006
    1 hour from Melbourne, in a tiny-tiny town once described as 'abandoned'

We haven't had any problems with leaking, and we used pea pods overnight (well boosted) until I discovered baby beehinds fitteds. But I don't like the pea pods, the fit seems all wrong so every time I put one on DD I spend an extra minute or so fiddling with the nappy in a vain attempt to improve it.
    As a comparison, the other pocket nappies we have are Hautes (i think that's what they're called), which fit much better but the absorbancy isn't as good. ( I tend to end up combining the two and using pea pods boosters in the hautes pocket)

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006

I have one of these and it is my last nappy to get used as the insert takes too long to dry. I haven't had it leak before, but then I rarely use it...

my preference is bumgenius, and second is haute pockets.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    South Eastern Suburbs, Vic

In my experience, some really like them, and some really don't. Given that they're a decently priced nappy, it's worth trying just the one, and seeing which category you're in.
    I've not heard anything good about the red ones in terms of colourfastness though...

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Sydney

Sorry, I'm another that doesn't like them.
    But like Nelle suggested, how about getting one and seeing how it fits your bub?
    I only know one person who liked them, but she only had peapods so didn't have anything to compare them to, LOL! Once her bub grew out of them she bought some Baby beehinds and thinks they are marvellous and hasn't bothered with the peapods anymore.
    I'm not sure about how much they cost, but another reasonably priced pocket is the BubbaJ and I find them a great fit for my babe. (Though you have to buy the boosters separately.)

Feb 2009

Thanx

Thanks so much!
    I have done a backflip and am now looking at Bumg and Happyheinys, amongst others.
    Thank you Thank you Thank you for your time and advice! ;-)

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

Bumg's and Happy heiny are some of my favs to use

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2006
    Sydney

LOL, I started off a huge fan of both of those but am not so much anymore! Ah, they all have their good and bad points, and they all fit kids differently. (Plus, HH have some ADORABLE prints, so if they fit your kid well, then you can have heaps of fun with them!)
    I find the BumG's elastic has worn out and the HH don't seal so well around my DD's legs. (After a nasty poo leak in the shops, I have sworn that they're a home-only nappy!)
    Can I suggest you get a few different ones to try and see what fits? Rather than buying a huge stash of the same type.

Feb 2009

ha!

OMG! This whole experience is hilarious!!!
    There is a magic nappy out there somewhere - I can feel it!
    One that has no pitfalls..
    the hunt is on!
    ;-)

Dec 2007
    Sunny Qld

Hmmm. I dunno about that!!! LOL

Everyone has their favourites..... If you were into something other than pockets, then I'm sure everyone could list off their favourites of those too - which probably won't match up to anyone elses!! LOL

BellyBelly Member

Jun 2008
    Tassie

itti itti itti d'lish are lush and you wont go back

I have peapods and we haven't had any problems with them. There are some things I would change about them if I could, like the snaps and the sizing (Ash is in M/L everything else, out of medium in most things but only JUST fits on the smallest setting on a small) but really for the price they are a good stash filler in this house. I haven't used them heaps of times though (about 20 all up) and they certainly aren't the first nappy I grab.

Wild Child are another good one

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Nov 2005
    Where the heart is

I used them and loved them. I worked out how to avoid leaks (it's all in the stuffing!) and in winter we dried them in front of the wood heater, no problem and had nappies for the next day.
    Had a bumgenius but found that overnight they weren't nice - they didn't wick away moisture like the peapods and DS got an angry rash around his waist after a while, so we used the bumgenius for emergencies, instead.
    My sister made some peapods for me and used velcro, which worked really well, too. I liked that if I got really stuck, I could use a folded flannel flat inside.
    I found them too easy to use and am hoping not to need my stash for the next one because I'll be doing EC and only needing really small ones (didn't have small for DS cos used flannel then terry flats till he was size M) till we've got EC worked out