Thread: Please help. I Can't get rid of cream residue.

Default Please help. I Can't get rid of cream residue.

My son had a badly infected cut on his penis so we had to use an antibacterial cream for a while. We used nappy liners, but somehow the cream got on the microfleece of my Bum Gs, Green Kids and Happy Heinys.

Then he started getting bad nappy rash so I set to stripping all his nappies, which is when I noticed the cream residue. I tried scrubbing (and scrubbing and rinsing and scrubbing) with a toothbrush and diluted detergent, but I couldn't get it all off.

Now I notice that when he wets his nappy, there are big patches where the absorption is noticeably different, even if I can't see the cream on the entire patch there must be residue there.

Also, I drypail but the buckets always stink of ammonia. The gas buildup burns my nostrils when I take the lid off. What's going on? I thought drypailing was supposed to be odour-free?

If they weren't PUL nappies, I could use vinegar or bi-carb to clean them, but these damn PUL nappies require more loving care than a newborn baby. Why can't you use vinegar or bi-carb on PUL?

How can I clean them?

PS. I've been using these nappies for over a year, but in recent months they've become almost unusable with the problems I am having.

And that would be why alot of people DONT use these types of nappies. the build up that just wont budge.

I would go the hottest option and do a bicarb and vinegar strip wash. Vinegar used all the time will break down elastic and PUL so itsnot advised to use them all the time.

As for nappies being odorless......hahah sorry but dry pailing DOESNT take that smell away. Your not ment to soak them as it will deteriate the fabrics and elastic again. Its for this reason we use a swivel top bin so I can aim and shoot without having to go near it . I has a can of eucalyptus disinfectant spray that I use before I empty it out and I then use inside the bin afterwards.

Maybe get your hands on a few different type of nappies to see how you go. IB's are fab, so are baby beehinds.

I use bi-carb all the time on my nappies!
    As maz said, its long-term use of vinegar thats not recommended as it breaks down the PUL but I think a once off would be ok?
    I hope you find something that works

what about a really hot wash and a few drops of dishwashing detergent? That's supposed to cut through grease.....

Thanks for your replies. I just tried bicarb and vinegar and nappies are on the line, not that it's very sunny so I don't think they'll dry.

I think I'm out of ideas. I was wondering if sard wonder soap would help. In the mean time I am single handedly draining the reservoirs of SE QLD, so I think I need to give up.

Detergent didn't work. I used detergent, a toothbrush and a whole lotta elbow grease and I barely made a dent on it. I don't know what the cream really is, maybe it's zinc cream, I don't have the old tube to check and I can't remember what it was called.

Anyway, don't have money for new nappies and can't afford disposables so I'll have to work with what I've got.

Hi.

I just wanted to update the results of my nappy strip wash. The bi-carb and vinegar worked really well. There are a couple of minor spots of cream left, but miraculously the nappies don't smell bad anymore and my nappy buckets no longer stink of nostril-burning ammonia gas (I'm really not exaggerating about that).

The 1/4 cup of vinegar didn't ruin the PUL, but the blue background on my monkey print Happy Heiny nappy looks like it might have faded a tiny little bit, but I might be imagining it.

Best of all is that the nappies don't give instant nappy rash to Jude. So I'm very pleased to have saved the nappies and not wasted my life's savings buying them in the first place.

Thanks for your help.

awesome!!!!! so glad it worked foryou hon. try it again in a months time and hopefully the rest will come off then

Happy to help another cloth mummy anytime

What about a using rocking green and doing a soak and then wash? On their australian website they have steps on how to do it, and say that their product is really really good at getting rid of build up on nappies, and inserts and things.

You can buy their product directly from them as well. Hope it helps.