Thread: Pop-ins - value for money?

Default Pop-ins - value for money?

A friend with an 11 week old is sold on pop-ins as her cloth nappy solution. Compared to other pockets on the market, are they value for money over the longer term? Are there others that are as good but cheaper.
    I'm not really on top of what MCN cost. I can find pop-ins for about $34 on the net.

TIA!

Personally, I don't like them.

They are All-in-2's - not pockets (so similar to Itti Bitti's).
    They are fiddly, and not as easy to use as other AI2s and are more expensive than IB's for example. They are also velcro closure, which by the time bubs gets to a certain age they are much easier to take off, hence why snaps are a more used option.
    They are OSFM, not sized like IB's which is good so offer value that way, but personally i found Charlotte was only ever in the Med IBs anyway, and way TT by the time we were on to Large sizes.
    The Organic OSFM Bum Genius are a similar 'lay/snap in' style are easier to use and are available in snap closure. They are a little more expensive again, but I am happy to pay extra for organic and natural fabrics, over microfibre - which is also not anywhere near as absorbent as other fabrics)

Have a couple, but I would not use them as everyday workhorse nappies, they aren't as purdy as other options available, and DH found them WAY to fiddly to use with the 5 snaps you need to put the main booster in, then another 2 snaps for the other booster in it.

Basically there are far more options out there that tick more boxes and offer better value.

:yeahthat: I like them, but I only have one. I certainly wouldn't make them my whole stash. They're as boring as gettup to look at and fiddly to put together (my DH won't use it unless it's ready to go). They fit well on all settings IMO (and that's only based on their fit on DS)...but yeah....there are better.

I loved them, and still do, they fit well on both my baby and toddler and they are very absorbant, however the bamboo in them is starting to fray, I am not sure if this is a common problem but I thought that they would of lasted longer. Itti Bittis are my first preference, I have just ordered a dozen more (like I need them) .

I'm with LS and Kim. Too many snaps and I always imagined they'd be uncomfortable for DD lying on her back, the snaps at the back seemed really bulky and like they'd dig into her. She never complained though. They only come in boring colours too.

I have two and after only about 6 months use the inserts broke. The snaps just tore out of the fabric and like DD's they started to fray too. Not worth the money for me.

I love Itti Bitti's and Baby Beehinds

I found them great - but they dont seem to be lasting as long as I would have hoped. They're almost a year old and leaking a bit and coming apart. Mostly with the inserts.
    I prefer the bumgenius organics and BBH Multifits.

actually now that I think of it my inserts are fraying too.....only a year old.

I like the pop-in's but they are at the bottom of my stash in terms of how often I use them..... lately I seem to be using them more than I had in recent times but I think it's because they fit DD better now. Only problem is like someone mentioned is the velcro tabs aren't too good when you have an older bub who thinks it's great fun to rip them off all the time so we always have to wear pants over ours! Which isn't a bad thing when she's wearing a Pop-In I guess because they aren't as 'attractive' as some other nappies you can buy!!!! They're a bit boring but otherwise they do the job and are quite absorbent I've found. They are a PITA to put together after you've washed them though to line up the snaps etc I find it does take a bit longer than say a nappy that only has an insert to throw into it..... but in saying that, my stash is a mix of all different types and brands of nappies which I like. (keeps it interesting!! LOL).

I have 6 but only because I got them very cheap during a closing down sale from someones e-store once!!

eta - my inners also tore on 1 of the nappies and I sent it back and they fixed it up and sent it back to me quite fast. (so they should!). I've found that you can have problems with any nappy too, even if it's meant to be a good brand!!

I have 4 of these, for use as night nappies with the boosters. I have little britches pockets and prefolds and covers for daytime use. As a night nappy they come recommended due to absorbancy but like the others say with all the snaps I dont know i would use them as my whole stash.

Last edited by Lolpigs; August 25th, 2011 at 07:51 AM.