thread: [A bit venty] Normal 2 year old behaviour

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

[A bit venty] Normal 2 year old behaviour

Another thread reminded me I've been meaning to post this for a while.

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed, I'm tired and cant think straight.

Isaac is already ridiculously "busy". He does. Not. Stop. Ever. From the minute he wakes up to the minute he goes to bed at night he is constantly moving (he wont sit and read books except at bedtime, he wont play with his toys). And not only moving but being deliberately naughty! He doesn't listen to a word I say unless I yell it or threaten to send him to his room and shut the door. I am going bonkers! It's like he enjoys getting into trouble.

I am (usually) consistant, I try very hard not to yell and smack because it makes him worse (not to mention I HATE doing it), but lately nothing is working. I dont know what else to do.

We are currently living at someone elses house and I cant let him do things that would normally be ok, I cant ignore certain behaviours because they are not ok in someone elses house. ie, going into our hosts bedroom and bringing things out / following them to the toilet/ shower/ into thier room when they want to be alone.
    If we go out he just wants to bolt. He used to happily hold my hand, now he pulls and throws tantrums until I let go. No amount of reasoning works he just wants to RUN.

That's another thing. He never used to throw tantrums, I could reason with him and when he listened and understood he would quite happily do what I asked. Now he is chucking them left right and centre, over everything.
    He either doesn't understand or doesn't care for the word "no", I explain things to him, I know he understands because he used to listen but now he just doesnt care.

I'm not really sure what kind of response I want. I guess I just want to know if this is "normal".

Or maybe how I can get him to calm the heck down and stop for 5 mins!

Jan 2008
    Central Coast NSW

I have no idea if its "normal" but my DS1 is EXACTLY the same!

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

And mine. He's doing my head in and I feel bad because I just want to enjoy him instead of being crazy all the time.

Mar 2007

DD1 at the age of 2 was very full on. I think it's her personality. She's strong willed, stubborn (in a cute way ), determined & feisty! That's just her perhaps your little dude is the same. Now that she's 3 she has calmed down a lot, way less tantrums

Some kids are quieter, more chilled out by nature..... My DD2 is one of these so I hope she'll be an easier 2yr old.

Rach83 Guest

Glad to hear that Shanti.
    Your daughter sounds exactly like my daughter at the moment. Glad to hear it settles down!

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

Gosh I hope so Shanti. I dont know how much longer I can take it

Thanks for the replies, it's good to know we aren't alone...

Mar 2007

I have found since the 3's started, it presents different challenges lol! DD1 has become very stubborn and it's her way or the highway lol! But she knows what she wants and is one of the most confident 3yr olds I know so it's a good thing!
    Tiring yes, but it's them!!

Each age presents different challenges/stages.

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

My almost 2yo was going free to a good home on Facebook this afternoon Nuff said.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

It is so exhausting. By the end of every day I am shattered. He still wakes up at least once a night, sometimes for a play for a couple of hours! I am a walking zombie, I cant keep up with him and he is constantly screaming for attention.

I spent ALL day, literally - didnt even wash the dishes, playing with him on Monday. And not just playing; jumping, running, hopping, making up new games - really physical stuff. And still when it came to 4pm and I HAD to clean up the kitchen and cook a quick meal, after 5 mins of me having left him playing by himself he was running around doing things he KNOWS he's not allowed to do to get my attention.
    I dont know what more I can do

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Dec 2008
    Melbourne, VIC

Hun, sounds like my DS too. He just never stops unless I offer him a snack, then he runs off with it half the time anyway (eat and run! lol). I don't know where all that energy is coming from. Not to mention taking him out for a walk or to the shops. He runs everywhere and runs off on us all the time. Does not walk!! If I say hold mummy's hand, he just does not obey. Please tell me it does get better