thread: Differences between one and two (and three, four, etc)

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

Differences between one and two (and three, four, etc)

I know you're not supposed to compare your kids, but lately I can't help it! DS is coming up to the age DD was when he was born, and I can't help remembering what she was like at this age. Does anyone else do this?

Eg we were having home midwife visits, and DD would hold the doppler and chat to the midwife - I just can't see DS doing that. He doesn't talk much, and a lot of his words need interpretation. DD was learning, numbers, shapes, colours, letters, etc. DS says everything is pink, hoping he's right. We correct him but he says pink again next time. DD loved books, and when she started swimming lessons at 6 ml ths she picked it up immediately. DS rarely looks at books and still doesn't do everything they ask of him at swimming.

On the other hand, he can run and jump far better than she ever could at this age. He is very expressive and loud, just not with actual sentences. He has a much stronger sense of "mine" and is so much more stubborn and argumentative.

In the end, I think it comes down to how we parent them each. With DD we'd read her a story or five at bedtime and we never do for DS. He just won't sit through it. But we don't really give him books during the day either. DD always had those baby books with big simple pictures and that's how she learnt colours etc, we've never eally done that with DS. We are now and he's learning it all well, so I'm feeling guilty that we didn't do it for him earlier

Drawing and colouring is something else he's never done, DD doesn't want him to use her stuff, and they're always off doing something else. It doesn't come up. But as a result, I don't think he could do more than a scribble, so I guess we should work on that.

What have you done differently with your kids, or noticed that's different?

Add Khaleesi on Facebook

Feb 2007
    Wonderland

Re: Differences between one and two (and three, four, etc)

Sounds just like my DS Teeki.
    Seriously I could of written the exact same thing lol

He is just so different to the girl, I look back at videos of the girls & they were so different to him.
    I always thought it was cause he was prem but know I just think it's him.

Mar 2008
    Where dreams are now reality

Yep, that is us here. One particular example is DD would climb a fence - she would size it up, take the most direct and calculated approach, she would be precise and accurate. DS will climb a fence and he doesn't care if he breaks 3 limbs, smashes 3 teeth and needs a tetanus shot in the process!!! By his age DD could write her name, name every colour on earth (including shades of), draw, play with play dough building snakes and birds nests with eggs etc etc. Talking was like an adult. Words like diplodocus, names of trees etc. DS he is just happy to exist. He is rough and tumble, prefers to scribble on the wall not on the paper, throw the play dough at his sister and be loud. Oh so loud! His tantrums at the same age are far far more exaggerated and 'baby like'. Hers began about 3-3 1/2.

Two kids, genetically from the same stuff and could not be more different!

Aug 2010
    Albs, WA

my kids are so different! my oldest has always been very switched on and a real people person. next one isn't social at all

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

My first is my little lawyer / actor / storyteller / salesman.

My second is my little engineer.

The younger is better at counting and alphabet, lego and puzzles.

The elder can create, narrate and act out a completely original six character story with a plotline off the top of his head, and had over 250 words by age 2.

They're different. They're awesome.

I heart them so much.

Jan 2006

There are so many differences, starting from pregnancy! But I've just learnt a new one.

Liebling loves having makeup on. Less so now due to society, but he'd attack my make up to put it on himself as a preschooler and loved me making him up. He loves dressing up too.

Stormageddon hates it. Was unsure about the powder today and cried at the eyeliner. His David Bowie transformation is no longer happening.

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

I'm so glad it's not just my two! I was worried I'd start getting comments from childcare about why he's not doing better on the "academic" side of things.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Nov 2008

I am glad to hear it is not just our house too!
    the difference between DD1 (5) and DD2 (3&1/2) and now DD's 3&4 (18month fraternal twins), but not just that, the difference between the twins as well!