Thread: My toddler is asking questions about body parts

Default My toddler is asking questions about body parts

Hi Girls

My DS (3) is asking about body parts and the differences between boys and girls. He knows he is a boy and I am a girl and dad is a boy etc. He knows he and dad have a pee pee (thats that we call it) but now he is asking what I have. He keep asking to look in my pants to see what I have instead of a pee pee.

He sees me in the shower but the question never arises then. Its becoming a bit uncomfortable for me to try and avoid the conversation. I have been saying I dont have a pee pee I have boobies instead but he still wants to know whats in my pants.

What do others call their downstairs area? I know we should use the correct names but thats too full on for me. I don't even use them myself. I say downstairs or who har. My friends daughter calls her downstairs Minnie, but DS is confused by that and thinks I have Minnie Mouse down my pants . He has a Mickey toy that he sleeps with and its all a bit weird to call it a Minnie.

Any suggestions most appreciated.

Default Re: My toddler is asking questions about body parts

I use the words penis and vulva for simplicity when they are older. Most people don't use vulva so it's still a strange code word in a way.

I would use the opportunity to remind your 3yo that inside the pants are private and you don't ask to see inside pants and, crucially, no one should ask to see inside his.

Thanks Ca Plane. We have discussed multiple times that no one is to see whats in his pants and he is not to show whats in his pants to others. Or to ask others whats in their pants. Not too sure how much sinks in but he is a modest little thing and hates taking his clothes off. Getting him dressed each morning is quite the battle and one I have to syc myself up for.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

We call it giny (ji neey) here, because DD kept calling it her bum so it was confusing for everyone. Its an abbreviation of vagina so it feels like its still the right word.