Thread: Flu vaccine at 7 weeks?

Default Flu vaccine at 7 weeks?

Hi all,

I'm 5.5 weeks atm, and going to get my BT next week (as recommended by the doc). She also said when I come back in to get my results, that I should get both the fluvax and whooping cough vax at the same time, and that DH will need it too - is this normal?

Since this will be my first I'm being a bit overly cautious. I normally have the flu vax every year but I'm wondering if it's worth the risk to a still-developing baby - even if there's any risk at all. Or should I wait until the 2nd trimester to be on the safe side? (But by then it might be too late anyway lol!) Plus it may be better if I do get the flu this year because I didn't get the shot, that would build a natural immunity for bub as well.

Any thoughts or experiences? Advice? TIA xxx

Default Re: Flu vaccine at 7 weeks?

I have never had the Flu Vaccination. When I was pregnant with my third (during a flu outbreak as well), my OB advised not to get it and just be super careful.
    The whooping cough would be different matter and that is one I would not hesitate for myself or family to have.

Perhaps discuss that option with your OB? Are you generally in the high risk category for needing a Flu Vaccine? That could be your other determining factor of getting both done.

I've never had a flu vaccine either. I can only remember 2 or 3 times I've actually been really sick with the flu though.

But the whooping cough vax I did have after dd3 was born, before I left the hospital. I do think all adults who'll be in contact with a baby under 6 months should have the pertussis booster.

this is a hard one and a personal choice.

I personally never get the flu vaccine, even though I'm aware of the potential complications of influenza during pregnancy.

I suggest getting as much professional advice as possible and making an informed decision from there.

We can only tell you what we did, which may not be right for you.

Good luck!

Thanks ladies - I've just realised that the doc said the Boostrix shot (for whooping cough) is in the third trimester, which sounds like the norm. So won't need that one for a while!

I've also done some reading about the fluvax and everything so far has said it's completely safe to get at any stage of pregnancy. And since I've had it every year for the last 5 years, with no adverse side effects, I'll probably just get it again.

And yes Mama, you're right it is a very personal choice. I just like to hear others' experiences before I make my own!

So panic attack = over (for now!) haha

Yes, I've had the flu vax when pregnant twice. It's said to be safe, although I guess there are no guarantees with anything. The hospital gave me whooping cough after bub was born, I didn't think you could have that one during pregnancy, that's why they gave it at birth... But I could be wrong. It might just be a routine to make sure people are vaccinated.

BRAN it.

For me, benefits of vaccinations are a no brainer. Except for flu, as you may not be vaccinating for the strain you end up getting. It's a calculated risk.

Risks include being injected with live viruses and heavy metals. If mercury is ok, let me eat swordfish and tuna!

Alternative is doing nothing and hope you don't get ill... which, if it isn't life threatening, is an option imo.

Nothing, well, only you know this. For me, I got flu 2 weeks before I was offered the vaccine and had it mildly, as my immune system is great on flu. Whooping cough, not enough long term data for me but I'm already vaccinated and will be bfing, so risk to baby is very low. If whooping cough is doing the rounds at term, I would get the vaccine post birth in a strategy discussed with my midwife and feed baby the antibodies then.

Yeah I'm all for vacc's as well Ca Plane. I've read a bit more about Boostrix and seems it can be given in the 3rd trimester safely so will most likely do that. But then everyone who will be in contact with the bub in the first 6 weeks should have the shot as well, so will have to get my family on board with that otherwise they can wait till the bub can have its own shot!

Still umming and ahhing about the flu shot though - I agree with you Ca Plane, it is kind of a pointless vacc when you don't even know if that's the strain you could potentially catch. Spoke to a different doc yesterday about it and after some googling (I'm assuming special google doctor sites?) he said there is one which is safe for all stages of pg (started with a V I think), otherwise it's best to wait till 2nd trimester to get it. I really question these doctors' experience sometimes - I'm sure I could've googled that myself with the same answer!

Seems a bit contradictory to what my other doc said - she said to just get Fluvax, but that's the one the other doc said NOT to get, as that one's not recommended to give to young children.