Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drugs and Pregnancy

Default Drugs and Pregnancy

I just thought I would post a list of all the drug category’s for use in pregnancy and breastfeeding and what they mean. I hope some of you find it useful

Category A

Drugs which have been taken by a large number of pregnant without any proven risk to the to the foetus or neonate

Category B1

Drugs which have been taken by only a limited number of pregnant women and women of childbearing age without an increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the foetus having being observed. Studies in animals have not shown any evidence of any increased occurrence of foetal damage.

Category B2

Drugs which have been taken by only a limited number of pregnant women and women of childbearing age without an increase in the frequency of malformation or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the foetus having being observed. Studies in animals are inadequate or lacking but available data shows no evidence of any increased occurrence of foetal damage.

Category B3

Drugs which have been taken by a limited number of pregnant women without increase in malformations or other direct or indirect harmful effects being observed. Animal studies have shown an increase in foetal damage the significance of which is considered uncertain in humans

Category C

Drugs which have caused or are suspected of causing harmful effects on the fetus or neonate without causing malformations. Most of these effects will be reversible.

Category D

Drugs which have caused or are suspecting of causing an increased incidence of human foetal malformation or irreversible damage.

Thanks Alan.. thats really helpful

Ive often wondered what they all ment!

Hey look I'm a sticky

Joyce Guest

Talking Vaccination and Pregnancy - Can I do both?

I recently had an operation on 30/1/08 to cure my endometriosis

I was given medication called Clomid to increase my chances of getting pregnant. However, I am currently sick and the doctor has given me anti-biotics (Amoxil) to take.

Can I take both Clomid and antibiotics at the same time during my period? Will this affect the effectiveness of the medication?

I am also currently studying Aged Care (Nursing) at TAFE.

The blood test I took last weekend shows I need to be innoculated with
    the following vaccines before I can take the practical section of the course at a Hospital/Nursing home:

Diphteria, Tetanus, Pertussis acellular (dTpa) vaccine

Hepetitis B vaccine (Serology) My results were 145.20 so the Dr said I can take this next year.

Influenza vaccine

As I want to get pregnant as soon as possible, can I be innoculated with all the above and still take the Clomid fertility medication at the same time?

Also, will being innoculated for the above cause any problems with pregnancy? How long should I wait after being vaccinated before getting pregnant.

If I take the vaccinations next week and find I am already pregnant, will it affect the baby?

I hope you reply to me as soon as possible as I am about to have my period and I need to start taking Clomid when I start my period.

I am worried that if I need to take the vaccinations above, it will conflict with the Clomid medication/antibiotics and affect my health/chances of pregnancy.

Thanks

Default Panadol Forte

What category does Panadol Forte fall into. I think its 'A' but is it really ok to take? Have any of you mothers to be taken it during pregnancy?

Panadol, panadeine and panadeine forte are all category A.

For generic brands - if it's paracetamol and/or codeine, it's fine.

BW

As BW said it is safe to take any form of panadol and/or codeine. Just make sure that you don't excede the reccomended dose. Also codeine can cause constipation

Default Drugs in pregnancy

What about medicated nasal sprays i.e Dimetapp..... it says it contains Oxymotozoline and Hydrochloride.

What category does that fall in?

drugs containing Oxymetozoline Hydrochloride are a category c.
    However there have not been any adverse reactions to this drug if used for a short time.
    There is a possability that this drug can reduce the blood supply to the uterus

Hi Sandip
    I think that you have misread this thread. The drugs being discussed here are all legal, most of them you can buy over the counter at your local drug stor and some need to be ordered by a doctor

Hi Alan, Just wondering if you know what category Zofran is?

Hi Willow
    Zofran is category B1

Thanks Alan

Great thread! fantatsic Alan, saving the day again

Umm what about Diazepam?

Like... just taken once in the third trimester?

Just wondering what category Naprosyn falls into?

I am currently on it for a form of arthritis, I am not pregnant but we are thinking of starting to try for our second bub....

Am heading to the GP to have a chat about this, but just thought I would see what info i get get here

Many thanks....

Bugalug, NSAIDs are a no-go in pregnancy, so you will need to stop taking the naprosyn. Prednisone is ok.

Is naprosyn the only thing used to manage your arthritis? Many other drugs are ok, but your options will depend on what form of arthritis you have. I have a rheumatoid arthritis and we found safe medications to manage it while I was pregnant, and I also had some remission of symptoms during pregnancy as well.

BW

A friend of mine is 37 weeks pregnant and asked me if she can take telfast for her cold. I told her it would be best not to, basically she can take paracetemol and thats about it.
    She went to the chemist and he said as she is 'term' its ok for her to take any medication she wants! So he gave her cold and flu tablets. Does this sound right to you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast