Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drugs and Pregnancy

BW

Yes, I am only on naprosyn at the moment. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, in lower back/right hip. I have had conflicting advice from my rheumatoligist who has told me it is fine to take, but then when i have done research on the net I have read thats its not. ???

Will definantly get this sorted with the GP.

Thanks for ur reply BW

I don't know a great deal about AS and how it is treated. But I'm really stunned by your rheumy's advice! NSAIDs are most definitely not good for pregnancy!

And Ubba, that sounds very wrong to me. Doesn't matter that she's at term, drugs can still cross the placenta.

BW

Quote Originally Posted by ubba82 View Post
    A friend of mine is 37 weeks pregnant and asked me if she can take telfast for her cold. I told her it would be best not to, basically she can take paracetemol and thats about it.
    She went to the chemist and he said as she is 'term' its ok for her to take any medication she wants! So he gave her cold and flu tablets. Does this sound right to you?
    There is no evidence that Telfast causes any damage to a developing baby, however it has not been proved that they are fully safe either and so there is usually a warning on the package.

I think this comes to the Mum balancing her beliefs of risks and benefits. I don't think i would medicate during pregnancy just for a cold (cos there are other things you can do, and it's not going to last), but for other people it might be really tough to have a cold.

I thought it was largely in the 3rd trimester that NSAIDs were an issue?

Just doing a basic search on Naprosyn, there is some balancing of effect on Mum of stopping the medicine vs potential for damage to baby. Bugalug if you are not sure about the info you have been given and how it compares to what you have found take the written stuff to your rheumy (or another dr) and get them to explain how it relates to you. You need to be happy with your decision, whether it is to continue or to stop medication.

What about mersyndol?? I get pretty powerful migraines and it's the only thing that works (other than ibuprofen & codeine which i know ibuprofen is a no-go)

how do you find out what classification medicines are? is it on the pack?

Mishmash, I was told no mersyndol (other than the day strength which doesnt have the calmative in it).

Full strength is a no, no apparently.

you should talk to your dr or your pharmacist for advice specific to you- however here is some info on mersyndol http://www.sanofi-aventis.com.au/pro...rsyndolTab.pdf

Use in Pregnancy
    Category A. There have been no observations of an increase in the frequency of malformations or other direct or indirect harmful effects on the feotus of pregnant women and women of child-bearing age who have taken those drugs found in Mersyndol

I agree with hot. From memory with my last pregnancy my hubby who is a dr said I could take nuerofen but not in the final trimester. Mostly I believe that is because it makes your blood less flirty and if you go into labour you need to be able to for clots as your placenta is born to stop bleeding. Having said that I think you use caution with all mess during pregnancy.

I don't know who asked about panforte in preg, but I used to have 1 a day for the last few weeks of my pregnancy due to bad back pain stopping me sleeping.

Damn the text on tapatalk!!! I meant to write less clotty, not less flirty! Lol... Maybe flirty is in my blood!

Quote Originally Posted by Bella29 View Post
    Damn the text on tapatalk!!! I meant to write less clotty, not less flirty! Lol... Maybe flirty is in my blood!

According to the Royal Australian College of General Practioners guidelines, " Like most medicines of this kind, Mersyndol is not recommended to be used during pregnancy." (http://www.racgp.org.au/cmi/swcmersy.pdf)

Both my FS and the pharmacist at the Epworth Freemasons Hospital told me not to take it when pregnant.

Are things like Dettol ok to use on the skin still for cleaning cuts? I have a cold sore and have been just using Ice and some Dettol dabbed on twice a day to try and get rid of it as I'm aware anti virals aren't safe. I can't seem to find any information around classifications for it but dont really want the cold sore to get infected either.
    Last edited by Lolpigs; May 16th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12