Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding it VERY difficult to provide a urine sample without wee going everywhere!!

Red face Finding it VERY difficult to provide a urine sample without wee going everywhere!!

OMG I am just wondering if anyone else has this problem!!

For these last 3 weeks at my ob. appointments I have to provide a urine sample.. I havent had too for the rest of the pregnancy so I havent realised just how difficult it is!

I thought it wld be quite simple... the little sample container isnt THAT small! But gosh how wrong was I!
    I thought I had the little cup all lined up perfectly, I started to pee and it was like a water balloon exploding! Pee went everywhere! I stopped, re-aligned the container and tried again. The same thing happened!

I have now come to realise my pee doesnt come out in a nice skinny squirty trickle anymore.. it comes out in an explosion! Its terrible! All i can put it down too is that I am actually puffy and swollen down there even tho I havent noticed any changes.

Thank goodness the label that surrounds the urine sample container is water proof so i cld give it a bit of a wash after managing to get SOME wee in it! Luckily the ob. gave me the sample container for next wed's appointment so i can do it at home beforehand.. I think I will have to go outside and squat naked or something!

Funnily enough a couple weeks ago when I was peeing my dh walked past and made some comment about the way it sounded as i was weeing... I cant remember what exactly but it made me realise that i did actually sound a bit like a horse peeing or something!!

Has anyone else found providing a urine sample is very very difficult like I have?? Or am i doing something wrong or not aiming it up properly or something??!

Yes, I've had that problem, I get it all over my hand! Blugh!

If anyone has any 'straight' tips i'll be sure to listen

I'm not usually a fan of toilet humour so early on a Sunday morning, but this was too funny (the way you wrote it, not your actual dilemma).

Try pressing the container on to your skin around the urethra and catch it that way. Failing that, I think you may need to invest in a small funnel.

Good luck!

I wish mine was just contained to my hand!! Gosh i had some on my knickers..the floor.. i think i even got the cubicle wall!!

Oooh a funnel wld work!! (well i hope it wld..!) Thankyou!

if you are collecting at home, you can pee in a clean ice cream container and then transfer it to the specimen jar.

THis is tmi

I found spreading my legs apart as far as they would go and leaning forward helped. It took lots of peeing on hands etc to discover that though

LOL, I hate giving samples.

Oh yeah been there! just picturing the funnel Lucky you have the specimen jar for the next visit to do at home, imagine the looks as you headed for the toilet with the jar in one hand and the funnel in the other

I am bad at it too! I get it alllll over the container and my hands, and now with my huge prego belly I can't even see down there! haha!

There are 'instructions' posted to the back of the toilet door, which i only noticed on my last visit, but they are like reading how to disarm a nuclear bomb so I gave up on that too :P

Funnel beats a bucket though!

Buy yourself a packet of paper cups. Handy if you ever have to catch a sample from your kids too.

Such a great thread!!!!! Paper cups! Awesome!!!!

Man I had enough trouble peeing on sticks before getting pg, not looking forward to having to try and catch it in a cup!

Am I the only one that had trouble aiming when NOT pregnant? :blush:

If you can reach down, hold your open lips apart, put the container so the entry to the urethra (in the area between your clit and the entry to your vagina - if you can get to check out where it is with a mirror it is helpful so you know exactly where it is) is in the middle of the container.

Other option is to use a funnel, which does get hard if you have to get a mid-stream flow.

If you want to be a bit more adventurous, then stand in the shower, with your foot up on a stool/chair and get the flow that way.

Urine is the most sterile liquid to come from the body, so don't worry about getting it on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sopdet View Post
    If you can reach down, hold your open lips apart, put the container so the entry to the urethra (in the area between your clit and the entry to your vagina - if you can get to check out where it is with a mirror it is helpful so you know exactly where it is) is in the middle of the container.
    That's what I was going to suggest too but I think it's a lot easier without a preggy belly in the way Worth a shot though.

I can't remember what I did, I think I just weed on my hand You could always do it in the shower then wash yourself straight away. A bit gross but it would make the clean up a bit easier

ETA: Sopdet - I should have read your entire post! SNAP!

Wink

ha ha you ladies are so funny

its taken me a few tries on the pregnancy test to get the hang of it, but with a big belly? that would be a challenge.

I think trying in the shower would be the best if you could do it at home. then if you make a mess it doesn't matter too much.

ah the joys of being a woman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast