Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kebabs??

Default Kebabs??

I have been craving kebabs and finally gave into it yesterday. But today am thinking I shouldn't have. How bad are they? Should I give them a miss?

Yeah they are a definite pregnancy no go. There is a high risk of listeria from the salad and there is a salmonella risk from the meat... not worth it if you ask me.
    I used to make my own at home... It was a long and drawn out process (roasting the meat etc) but soooooo worth it in the end

kebabs are a definite no-no while you're pregnant. But definately take Lisa's advice and make your own if you're craving them

Just wondering how theres a risk of listeria with the salad since its the same as subway and subway is fine during pregnancy.

There actually isnt anything wrong with eating kebabs - the meat itself is not a risk factor any more than any other meat.
    By law now, the meat must be carved from the spit and the fried up on the grill before it is served anyway, to ensure it is properly cooked. You can ask them to do this anyway, just let them know you are pregnant.
    As far as the salad goes, again this is no riskier than buying a salad sandwich from a sandwich shop...You can mention that you are pregnant, ask them if they have washed all their salad vegetables, and even ask them to use the freshest product they have cut (even if it is not on display) iykwim.
    Most places are very aware of these things, so long as you let them know you are pregnant, they should be happy to oblige you.

Antheia I thought subway was a no go because the salads just sit there and may not be fresh?

I had a Kabab for lunch today, it was great. he carved the meat and popped it on the grill. I have had them quite a few times this pregnancy and also last. Just check out how fresh stuff looks if you are worried.

Matryoshka Guest

Don't do it! You have no idea how old the meat is, and having worked in a kebab shop (and a major chain one at that) i know that they would take the meat on the stick at the end of the day, refrigerate it over night, then cook it again all the next day, then refrigerate it again the next night, cook it again the next day............... meat should not be cooled and re-heated more than once - even if its "fried" again before you get it, it is still not healthy.

I've been told numerous times that subway is fine, even by a midwife...

hmmmm subway! had that AGAIN today!!

Antheia - It depen on how strict you are being really I suppose. If you eat any food you dont prepare yourself, then it shouldnt amtter really.
    If you visit a busy subway for example, their product turnover is such that it shouldnt be a problem, because the product they are using isnt old. Your local ma and pa milk bar that doesnt sell too many sndwiches may use older product.

So long as it is washed it doesnt really matter. It just comes down to personal choice I think about how padantic you are about it.

Oh, and meat can be cooled and reheated twice. (not including cooking)

mmmm kebab......
    I guess it depends on the kebab place - if you go to one of the places that cooks the chunks on a skewer instead of carving it off the big rotating thingy the meat is probably safer.
    If you go somewhere busy the salad will probably be fresher.
    I ate oodles of kebab when I was pregnant.

I used to eat Kebabs all the time when I was pregnant! Now I know for next time...thanks ladies

I'm not normally once to say don't do something - but on the kebab subject whilst pregnant - don't do it!!!

I ate one from a food court when I was shopping at about 15 weeks pg - I have an iron guts anyway and was sooo hungry - the kebab was totally delicious - but I spent the next three days with cramps, vomiting and nausea! Bad...

I eat salad only subway rolls all the time though....

Probably just depends on the individual store than because i ate kebabs throughout both my pregnancies and nothing went wrong.

I wouldn't risk it. I believe the risk is mostly in the salad though. I haven't had salad from any fast food restaurant throughout this pregnancy as I'm just not willing to risk it. No lettuce, tomato etc on burgers. You have no way of knowing how long the salad ingredients have been sitting around for or if they have been washed thoroughly (this is the main risk due to listeria). Also there can be problems in the sauce they put on a kebab or burger, sandwich (say from Subway or Kfc etc) that could contain raw egg (also a listeria risk).

I read in a magazine recently that there had been (I think, preggy brain is hitting pretty hard today) 16 listeria cases so far this year in NSW alone - 4 of those people died two of which were babies.

The thing to remember is that listeria can live in your body for up to 70 days (this info was provided to me by my hospital) and you may not know you even have it as it can have no symptoms and if it does they are more like cold/flu symptoms so you wouldn't attribute it to something you ate. If you have it and it crosses the placenta it can do a lot of damage to bubs.

My rule throughout this pregnancy (having already had 3 unexplained losses) has been if I haven't seen the salad washed I don't eat it. I also do not eat cooked cold chicken unless I've cooked it myself and only within 24 hours (as directed by one of my doctors). so that means I say no to all chicken sandwiches outside of my home, and no deli meats unless they are piping hot like on a pizza and no white salad dressings.

Just a quick note on the "listeria" topic. I had my OB appointment last week and my OB was handing all ladies an information sheet on Listeria risks as there has been an increase in listeria cases this year. It outlined the risks and also listed the items to stay clear of, both of which pre-made salad and meat which you are not sure is fresh are on the list.
    Just thought I'd mention it.

P.S. All this subway & kebab talk is not helping my will power!! 12 weeks until hubby brings me a chicken fillet sub!!

I have avoided all deli meats, salad bars etc and only make my own salads that i buy from the shops and do up myself.
    I avoid subway & kebabs.

HOWEVER since finding out i've been pregnant i have had the biggest cravings for Red Rooster Chicken Rolls..... i've had two in the last 3 weeks..... are they okay? They are served hot when i eat it and i eat it straight away..... there's no salad on them.... just chicken and like that mayo sauce stuff.......
    Should I be worried??? I don't want to worry unnecessarily cos' it only puts stress on ourselves and bub!

ETA -- just googled red rooster in pregnancy and found old BB thread from 2006! all the girls in there said its fine phheeeww!!!
    Last edited by Shanti; June 4th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast