Thread: SPD

Default SPD

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there has had SPD before that has not gotten it in subsequent pregnancies?
    I had it with baby number 5 at 26 weeks, and from what Ive researched once you've had it, you will get it again earlier and much worse. I am currently at 22 weeks with nothing yet (touching a whole heap of wood right now).

Thanks ladies

leekee, I'm a physio who's worked in women's health and treated musculoskeletal problems in pregnant women. So although I haven't had SPD issues, I've seen it heaps, and have read the research on it, etc.

Many people, including GPs, will tell you it's always worse or comes on earlier in subsequent pregnancies, but that's simply not always true. You are a bit more likely to have problems in subsequent pregnancies if you've had it before, but you're not guaranteed to get it, not does it have to be worse if you do get it. One factor is how long your body has to recover between pregnancies... how much strength you regained in the abdominal and pelvic floor muscles and the muscles of the hips and thighs that help to support and control the pelvic joints.

It's great that you don't have it now, and there's a good chance it won't come back at all, or to any great extent. It would be sensible, however, to put into practise some preventative tips that all pregnant women should be aware of. You'd know most of it because you probably had no choice but to avoid certain positions and movements last time... Squatting or bending, or coming up from squatting, with all or most of your weight on one leg, taking big steps over things so you jar the leg that you land on, taking long strides, that kind of thing.

You should also keep your knees together when you roll in bed, roll all the way onto your side before swinging your legs together down to the floor when getting out of bed, keep your weight even on both legs when standing still for any length of time (not with one hip ****ed out, like we do when we hold a child on one hip), avoid heavy lifting or carrying, avoid wonky-wheeled shopping trolleys...

Of course, none of us are perfect - I did something stupid when making the bed the other day and felt my SIJ (one of the two joints at the back of the pelvis) take a lot of strain. Thankfully settling, but it was a real warning to me to be more careful!

Ho Pholi,

Thanks so much for your reply. Ive only ever had it with my last babe (17 months old) and did it when I twisted slightly to pick up some dishes off the bench (Oh yes I know that's a no-no. Lol). Anyway this time round Ive been trying to take extra care with the way I walk, bend etc. Sometimes this can be hard though as a student midwife women tend to birth in all sorts of crazy (yet surprisingly comfortable) positions
    Anyway here's hoping to no SPD and a comfortable pregnancy this time round - already it's been a much nicer experience.
    Cheers hun

Ah, yes, they're the sort of relatively slight traumas that can set it off. Hopefully you'll avoid it entirely this time, and you're already paying close attention to how you move, and so on. Best of luck for you staying pain-free.

I had SPD with DS2 that required a support brace. It was horrible. Thankfully I didn't get it with DD2 or DD3. I was advised that taking calcium & magnesium tablets can help, so I took those through both pregnancies but got pretty slack with taking them with DD3. I got a little pelvic pain at the very end of my pregnant with DD3 but nothing out of the ordinary. I put it down to bet bring ready to come out and weighing 9lb 3oz.

From my iPhone.