thread: transition?

Dec 2006
    perth

transition?

Hi everyone Ive just been reading the birthing stories (they are amazing) but I noticed a few times people talking about being in transition? What is it? And why does it make the pain worse?
    Thanks for filling me in! I realise now I know nothing about pregnancy and birth! So much to learn so little time!

Jun 2006
    Sydney

Nay, transition is a stage in labour that affects all women differently. It's widely considered the hardest part of labour - where perfectly normal women lose their minds for a while LOL. I believe it's when the cervix dilates that last 1cm and is very painful. I know of women who have screamed and sworn even though normally they would blush at such words and other women who retreat into themselves and go very quiet during this stage, so obviously it's different for everybody.

Feb 2006
    NSW Central Coast

Nay,
    As far as I know, (which isn't much really, LOL!) it is when the cervix is fully dialated and baby is ready to decend/is decending into the birth canal. The reason why it is so much more painful (I think) is because it is when bub is stretching everything to get out! But as I said, I don't know too much- just what I have read here and in mags/ books. I have never been through it so can't give any first hand advice, but as Disgirl said it is different for everyone for some it is painful, for others it can create a trance like state, others still go a bit batty and try to refuse to go any further in their labour, LOL I think it's too late by then!!! I reakon I'll be one of the latter and try to go home, hehehe!
    Last edited by MrsFabuloso; March 16th, 2007 at 01:50 PM. : Psyco computer!

Sep 2004
    Sydney's Norwest

When I was in transition with Joel I closed my legs and said that I wasn't doing it anymore and was going home !!

I was vomiting in my labour with Tehya and thought it may have been transition but no such luck.

Oct 2005
    A Nestle Free Zone... What about YOU?

Hi Nay,
    Transition is known as the time between the first and second stages of labour. It is experienced differently by different women and differently by the same women in different labours!!! (is that confusing???...)

For me it is the most painful time in my labour and one where I can't find a position I feel comfortable in - I feel "lost" and have said that "I just want to go home now". I retreat into myself and cannot stand anybody touching me or talking to me at this time.

Some women get very agitated verbally and emotionally and some become introverted. Some women pass very quickly through this time and barely register a difference.

Somewhere amongst this your mind and your body make the decision that it's time for second stage and pushing....

You will experience transition in your own way and probably only later on reflection will recognise "aaahhh so that was transition..."

Good luck with your labour - I am sure it will be beautiful ...

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

An excellent explanation girls. I have had many women who, when in transition, promise me that if I let them go home now they will come back tomorrow to finish giving birth. Other women can get very vicious and say some very rude words. Others just drift off into a special dreamy place. It is a great sign for the midwife. It lets us know that everything is going as it should and that the baby will soon be out

Aug 2006
    Perth WA

I was very dreamy in transition with Jasmyn. I kept hearing my husband and the Ob discussing football (It was August, so grand final discussion was rampant), but I was on another planet. I also had no pain relief through labour, so it wasn't the drugs!

Dec 2006
    perth

thanks heaps everyone
    That really cleared it up for me. At least now I know a bit more about the whole experience. You all explained it fantastically and I am not scared at all about it now (before I was afraid that it was the worst part of labour) thank you again!
    Take care
    xox

Feb 2004
    Melbourne

Can I add on a question to this.... When is transition? Is it the point when you hit 9-10cm, but before the pushing urge?

Nov 2006
    BrisVegas

I'm pretty sure it is Sarah. I read last night, it's the transition between first and second stage of labour. I've come to the conclusion it's mother nature giving us a break to recoperate before we start pushing something so large through a hole so small
    Last edited by Meluchja; March 17th, 2007 at 07:48 AM.

Sep 2004
    Sydney's Norwest

Sarah, here is something for you to read

Transition
    The last part of active labor — when your cervix dilates from 8 to a full 10 centimeters — is called the transition period because it marks the transition to the second stage of labor. This is the most intense part of labor. Contractions are usually very strong, coming about every two-and-a-half to three minutes and lasting a minute or more, and you may find yourself shaking and shivering.

By the time your cervix is fully dilated and transition is over, your baby has usually descended somewhat into your pelvis. This is when you might begin to feel rectal pressure, as if you have to move your bowels. Some women begin to bear down spontaneously — to "push" — and may even start making deep grunting sounds at this point. There's often a lot of bloody discharge. You may also feel nauseated or even vomit now.

On the other hand, some babies descend earlier and the mom feels the urge to push before she's fully dilated. And some babies don't descend significantly until later, in which case the mom may reach full dilation without feeling any rectal pressure. It's different for every woman and every birth.

If you've had an epidural, you'll feel varying amounts of pressure, depending on the type and amount of medication you're getting, and how low the baby is in your pelvis. If you'd like to be a more active participant in the pushing stage, ask to have your epidural dose lowered at the end of transition.

How long it takes
    Transition can last anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. It is much more likely to be fast if you've already had a vaginal delivery.

Coping tips
    If you're laboring without an epidural, this is when you may begin to lose faith in your ability to cope, so you'll need lots of extra encouragement and support from those around you. The good news is that if you've made it this far without medication, you can usually be coached through transition — one contraction at a time — with constant reminders that you're doing a great job and that the end is near.
    It is from an American site, but as far as I know, American women labour the same as us, despite the spelling difference

Feb 2004
    Melbourne

Ok cool, that's what I thought

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

I have had many women who, when in transition, promise me that if I let them go home now they will come back tomorrow to finish giving birth.
    Oh that's too funny Alan! What do you say to them?! LOL

And yep, I learnt the other night that transition is from 8-10cms. It sounds like alot, I hope mine goes quickly LOL!

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

Yes transition is from about 8cm to fully
    Sezjm
    It can be really hard to find the right words. You have this woman looking into your eyes with tears in her eyes asking you ti let her go home for a break.
    I have a few things that I say and it depends on the woman.
    Often I will make a deal. 'If you stay for another 45 minutes and then you still want to go home then I will let you.
    Others need the truth.
    Some need distrating

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

I was sleeping through transition! LOL - well not really... but I was flaked out on the bed trying to sleep between contractions. I had just got off the loo where I was crying to DH that I can't do this anymore. It was where I caved and had a puff of gas... and it turns out that I had that puff of gas on my 2nd last contraction before pushing!

I understood it to be about 30-45mins before pushing. If your support person can recognise transition, they can keep telling you that it means you're nearly there! I think my poor DH altho he knew of transition, coz he hadn't seen it before, was getting a bit worried at how worn out and upset I was getting. Hopefully he'll recognise it next time, and there won't be any puffs of gas! (and yes.. i was getting ready to scream for an epidural too!).

clare076 Guest

In our house, transition is affectionally known as "the shower scene" DP had spent 2 hours standing behind me with the hot water on my back and I just went crazy! Demanding drugs and crying, walking from the shower to the loo to the bed, I think it was the only part of labour where I felt like I had lost control. THANKFULLY it didn't last too long and I had delivered Shelby within 60 mins of first starting transition. In the end I didn't need any drugs, but just needed to refocus on my breathing and getting some of the control back.

Alan, I do feel sorry for you guys as midwives. My poor midwife was following me around with a pillow, every time she put it on the ground betweeen my legs I was off again I can still remember her saying "oh we are on the move again" I also spent the whole time asking if I was doing it right!

Nov 2005
    Ontario, Canada

With Elyse (#1) transition was when I thought I was going to lose it. I remember saying "Please just make it stop!" I threw up then too, and the contractions were hard and close. They actually gave me a shot of pain relief then (narcotic, I think - Nubain.) and then I totally relaxed. The pain was still there - it didn't go away or ease at all, but I could relax anyways. She was born about an hour and a half later. I started pushing about half an hour after the vomitting. So it was pretty quick.
    With Marieke (second bub) I didn't really notice transition at all. (Maybe DH would tell you differently, but honestly, I don't remember any big change from regular contractions to pushing.) But maybe that is because I had the shot (demerol this time.) before transition, after they broke my waters. Again, the shot DID NOT affect the pain. It still hurt just as much. But I could relax more.
    So I'd say transition can be overwhelming, but it means you are almost done, and you CAN do it. As some of the PP mentioned, if your support person knows what to look for when you go into transition, they can encourage you through that stage, and let you know that you're getting close.
    You'll be fine! And try not to be afraid of your labour pains - fear makes the pain seems worse. Breathe and think of the contractions like waves, coming in, washing over you, and receding. And personally, I'd highly recommend getting in the water somehow.
    All the best!

Oct 2004
    Sydney

I didnt realise it at the time, but now that I have read this, there was definately a bit of time (not sure how long) a bit before I started pushing where I started to freak out and tell everyone I couldnt do it anymore and asking how much longer and when would it stop! I definately felt pressure in my butt at this time. I think during this time I started asking for more pain relief than the gas. They checked my dilation and I was 10cm.. so I suppose that was transition for me?