thread: Very sore pelvis/Hips

Aug 2003
    Redcliffe Peninsula (Brisbane)

Very sore pelvis/Hips

Hi,

I am 22 weeks and carrying twins they are normal sized for 2x22 weeks and in the past week or two I have been experiencing a new level of pain in the pelvic region.

Sometimes it is a burning muscular pain and more recently it feels like my pelvic bones are being prized apart.
    I understand about relaxin and how our ligaments stretch but when does discomfort/pain become something you worry about ? I am finding it hard to sit/stand or even lie in one position for more than 10 mins at a time and it seems to get worse as the day goes on.

By 6 pm getting up and down is excrusiating.
    I was actually restricted to bed for 12 hrs 2 on 2 days last week due to the pain.
    Do I write this pain off as "normal" or do I prompt a visit to the docs?
    On a scale of 1-10 it is at least a 6 or 7 .. and panadol does very little to ease it.
    Last pregnancy I had some discomfort.. but that was post week 32.. now it is twice as bad and much earlier?

Thanks in advance

kaety

alex c Guest

hi kaety,i can relate to you and what your describing is exactly what i had im 31 weeks and sort of get it from time to time but usually got it around 20-28 weeks i was told that all your bones are moving to get itself ready for labour...

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Kaety sounds to me like you should get yourself to a physio. Sounds definitely like Pelvic Instability and it can cause permanent damage if you leave it untreated... I have it so I sympathise greatly!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

I'm no expert but burning is definitley a sign of pelvic instability I'm afraid, so I'd definitley go to your Dr and get it checked out. Have you had any clicking when turning? Thats another sign.

*hugs*
    Cailin

BellyBelly Life Member

Jul 2004
    House of the crazy cat ladies...

I would recommend seeing a physio Kaety, I too had similar problems with my pg during the last trimester - however probably nowhere near as severe as yours.
    My physio (just at the public hospital) was able to recommend some gentle stretching excercises, and also gave me a sort of brace/belt to wear around my hips which is supposed to help support your pelvis more.
    It sounds like you are a fair amount of pain, so I would definately recommend going to talk to your Dr about it and seeing what they can recommend for you.
    *hugs*

Aug 2003
    Redcliffe Peninsula (Brisbane)

Thanks Ladies!!

I have a referral to the physio for unrelated symptoms (carpal tunnel) and I think I may be in for a visit to the docs this arvo anyway...

So I will discuss it with them asap!

Thanks again

kaety