Thread: Braxton hicks vs Labour contractions

Default Braxton hicks vs Labour contractions

I am curious to know what your contractions feel like...

What do your Braxton hicks contractions feel like

Painful?
    Where can you feel it?
    What does it feel like afterwards?

Default Re: Braxton hicks vs Labour contractions

My braxton hicks were like bad period pain, so tightness down in front.

Labour contractions were more like serious constipation, so all in the lower back and bum.

For me, I didn't know I was having Braxton Hicks if I didn't have my hands on my belly to feel the tightness. They were painless. Labor contractions started like period pain that got worse and worse, it was all low and in front and the only thing that helped the pain was heat. Then in my first birth I was given fentanyl, in my second I hopped in the bath for a good part and that was fantastic.

I had frequent and strong BH with both girls. With DD1 they just felt like a tightness - a clenching - and they made my tummy look misshapen and feel like a rock! With DD2 as above but this time they were much stronger, definitely uncomfortable and borderline painful. Nothing OTT though.

My BH were felt exactly where my uterus was at the time of the pregnancy so mostly in the front lower to middle of my tummy. They always lingered.

My contractions were felt much lower. More level with the bottom of my hips, underneath. With DD1 I also felt them in my bottom but only in advanced labour. DD2 they were pretty much right between my legs from the first contraction.

It is hard to say why aside from the above- mostly identified in hindsight - but both times I knew the first contractions were the real thing. I wasn't comparing A to B but knew they felt different instinctively.

My braxton hicks were a cringe worthy sudden tightness over my whole belly.
    Real contractions were sort of a radiating pain down low.