thread: how much raspberry leaf tea a day

Sep 2005
    Portland Victoria

how much raspberry leaf tea a day

Hi there.

Is there a certain amount of Rasperry leaf tea you are meant to drink or not meant to drink.

Thanks

Jacci

BellyBelly Life Subscriber
    Add sushee on Facebook

Sep 2004
    Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Jacci,

I was told 3 cups a day from 32 weeks and I have been trying. but in this heat, I am lucky to manage 2 cups a day!

love
    sushee

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

I've heard you need to drink quite a bit of it in order for it to be of any use.. like up to 6 cups per day?? Which is why a lot of people just go with the tablets. I know I'd be hopeless with the tea, coz I don't like herbal type teas, so I'm taking the tablets. Even they are 6 per day!

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

What's it supposed to do again?

What does it taste like?

Cheers. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Jun 2005

Wow, 6 cups a day, I didnt realise you had to drink that much, I have only been managing one cup!

Scrappyfish: I rather like the taste of it, I had heard it was really bad but not for me, I just add one teaspoon of sugar with it. I cant say however that it tastes like rasberry to me though.

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

Don't quote me on the 6 cups! hehe. I'm pretty sure you have to have a fair bit tho. I don't like the taste of the tablets let alone drinking the tea! I guess coz it's the leaf rather than the fruit that it's not too pleasant.

Sep 2005
    Portland Victoria

Ok - I have managed 5 cups yesterday!
    I actually don't mind the taste at all - it is really quite refreshing...
    I don't add sugar to mine.

I found a website that will answer what it does -
    Raspberry leaf is used for the following:
    *Ease the symptoms of morning sickness.

*Sooth and prevent bleeding gums which many pregnant women often experience.

*Relax the smooth muscles of the uterus when it is contracting (Burn & Withell, 1941).

*Assist with the birth of the baby and the placenta.

*Calm cramping of the uterus.

*Provide a rich source of iron, calcium, manganese and magnesium. The magnesium content is especially helpful in strengthening the uterine muscles. Raspberry leaf also contains vitamins B1, B3 and E which are valuable in pregnancy.

*To aid fertility.

*To promote a plentiful supply of breastmilk.

*To help stop excess bleeding after birth.

*To treat diarrhoea.

*To regulate irregular menstrual cycle and decreases heavy periods.

*To relieve sore throats.

*To reduce fever.

How is Raspberry leaf taken?
    *Tablets - Take two 300mg or 400mg tablets with each meal (three times a day) from 32 weeks.

*Teabags - 1st trimester- one cup per day -2nd trimester - two cups per day -3rd trimester - up to 4 to 5 teabag cups throughout the day.

*Loose leaf tea - Bring one cup of water to the boil. Remove from heat and add one teaspoon of the herb. Stir, cover and let sit for ten minutes (do not boil the herb), strain and sip. Adding sugar or honey many improve the taste. 2 to 3 cups per day is often recommended especially after 28 weeks of pregnancy.

*Tincture - A tincture is an alcoholic extract of the herb raspberry leaf. The dosage will depend on the strength of the tincture.

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

Interesting that it says promotes plentiful supply of breastmilk. This is what was on the handout that we got at the antenatal class.

Although it is supposedly helpful in enriching the colostrum supply, the herb is an astringent so it may decrease a woman's milk supply once breatfeeding is established. It is therefore recommended to cease consumption 3 days after birth.
    It also says that mild hypoglycaemia may be experienced after taking Raspberry leaf. This is why it is recommended after food.

Aug 2004
    Hunter Valley, Wine Country, NSW

MY SIL is a nurse and Mum to 6 children, she swears by Raspberry Leaf Tea and told me to drink as much as I can right throughout the day which is what I was doing towards the end of my pregnancy, I was also taking the tablets.

Jul 2005
    at Tieri now

Yeah I was going to say girls there is a blackmores tablet that you can take rather then drink the actual tea. My SIL's neighbour who is a midwife recommended to start taking it at 32 weeks. Meant to help you with labour etc.... So I will be taking it.