1234 ...

thread: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2014 Chatter #2

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Re: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2014 Chatter #2

Hope they all have a good first day back! Still on holidays here ( week 2). We just saw the lego movie! Awesome!!! Lol

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2006
    Melbourne

We had a lot of fun in the holidays, cousins sleeping over, camping, Lego movie and the girls got their ears pierced so there was no drama this morning as they wanted to show all their friends, no carrying on when doing hair either. Had to go to kmart to get dd a warmer jacket and rain coat, the school fleece jumpers are $40 each and it's hard enough keeping track of dd1's the kmart one was $9 so a bargain. Forgot to get new socks but need them too as the old ones are black and gross!

Sep 2005
    In the middle of nowhere

We are currently in week 2. 1 weeks holidays just isn't enough for the littler kids. Between trying to 'do stuff' and fitting in all the stuff that is only on for the holidays, there just isn't really a whole lot of down time. We spent some time at Ayers Rock (in the pouring rain - tedious but awesome at the same time) as DH has a house about 1km from the rock in the NP.
    DS was so tired yesterday already (but I think he is brewing something) that he told me his teacher told him to have a sleep if he needed it - so he did lol. Only 3 days this week, but still....

Thankfully we don't have a winter uniform here (because they'd only wear it about 6 weeks lol) but even we have had a dig out jumpers for a couple of mornings.

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2006
    Melbourne

Poor dd is so tired and in meltdown mode after dancing tonight just got her to bed. Glad for the short week now!

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

It's DSs 5th Birthday today! He's had a wonderful day and so have we. We just played with him all day (I did bake a few cakes for his birthday), and then we went out for 'cino's and afternoon tea. Saw both sets of Grandparents and DS has gone to bed a very happy boy

Advice if I may girls - I gave out DSs birthday invitations a few days before the school holidays (well the teacher gives them out at the end of the day as the kids leave the class). DS chose 8 school friends. I have only had 3 official RSVPs (1 late) and other than one whose Step Grandmother works with my Mum (Mum is checking on this one for me) I have no other way of contacting the others to check if they are coming as they are parents I dont know. Other then searching white pages and hoping for the best (which is a bit OTT and stalker like) I think I'll just have to hope that most of them turn up on the day. I know Easter has probably gotten in the way, I put the RSVP date as the Thursday before Easter to try to mitigate that. Kinda annoyed though. Do you think they'll come, do some parents not RSVP but bring their kids anyway? I will assume they are coming unless advised otherwise???
    Luckily we have 7 kids of family friends (all close in age to DS) so there will be other kids here, but I know he'll be devo if his school friends are no shows - damn holidays! Makes it hard when the birthday is at the end of them.

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2006
    Melbourne

Happy birthday for your ds MN! Can you ask the teacher for a contact list? That's frustrating that they haven't rsvp'd. We had two that didn't reply that showed up anyway out of 20. It's hard chasing them when you don't know who the parents are.

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Can you ask the teacher for a contact list?
    Thanks BR
    It's still school holidays here, we dont go back until after the party, so unfortunately thats not an option

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2007
    Off with the fairies.

Happy 5th birthday to your boy!

No idea if people turn up without RSVP. I hope his little friends turn up and Easter and school holiday stuff got in the way and they might have forgotten to RSVP on time.

We're in the 2nd week of holidays too. It's been ok so far, I just feel weird. It's the first time ever I have worked, during daytime, in the school holidays. (I used to do nights but moved to days when school started at the beginning of the year) I feel like I have/am missing out on my kids. I dunno. Having a bit of a 'poor me' kinda night. Lol. I guess to have good working hours during school terms you gotta deal with working school holidays too.

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

I feel like I have/am missing out on my kids. I dunno. Having a bit of a 'poor me' kinda night. Lol. I guess to have good working hours during school terms you gotta deal with working school holidays too.
    You're allowed to feel a bit woe is me, I getcha, last week I was working and DS had to do a few full days of OHSC, while he enjoyed it, I'd rather spend the time with him of course. Juggling work and school is hard isn't it?

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2009
    In my own little fantasy world

IME most people who don't rsvp don't come. I rarely get responses saying no. Out of 10 invites I'd be lucky to get 6 responses and usually only one negative. Often a positive response ends up a no show. Sometimes with an excuse but usually nothing. It's sad for the kids but they can't choose their parents. One parent has apologised telling me her son had hidden the invite them brought it out after the party. I have forgotten once and felt so bad. Perhaps some cultures don't bother. I find it hard to believe that these things happen to 40% of people every time. I think people are just plain rude in general. After having parties for both kids for a few years now I can generally pick who will reply based on who their parents are :/

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

We are at about a 50% RSVP response and I put down today as the date. I can chase a couple of parents, but others I have no idea. I find family friends are the worst for RSVPing and then not coming if something else comes ups, which can be hard, as it means 2-3 are suddenly not coming.
    The school RSVP's tend to be pretty good. I need to know numbers for the party entertainer, as she charges based on numbers and for making up party bags. I tend to over buy on food, so I put some out, then judge if more needs to go out.

I have had the odd invite handed over the night before, frustrating, but the other parent has been understanding when I have called.

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Well I've made up party bags and catered for all just in case. Frustrating. Feeling peeved!

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

How did you go MN - did nay of those who didn't RSVP show up?

How did everyone cope having the LO's home for the holidays?

We just came back today, we headed to our van for a week for Easter and DP's birthday but it seems she didn't miss a lot.
    First day back and the principal calls and says she's fallen off the monkey bars and whacked her face - she was ok, nothing broken just a little embarrassed.

She's really enjoying school which is great and I'm hoping it continues for some time now, I spoke to her teacher today and we have parent teach interviews mid year but if we wanted to sit down and be a bit more formal about how she's going I can organise a time... I'm quite happy at the moment but it's nice to know they are accommodating.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2010

ZF - oh no! What a first day back! I hope she is ok this afternoon.

How was the party MN? Did it go off without a hitch? Happy Birthday

How has everyone who has been back for a while settled in?

I spent most of the morning converting a proper tie into an elasticised one. There were none available anywhere when I tried so I gave up and forgot about it until last minute. Whoops! I just can't see having a proper tie on a 6 year old as a good thing.

I hate that holidays are over. We've had such a great time. I worked one week and had the other off. Gosh I miss our time together and I think so does he, as he was like a completely different kid in that week I was off.

Sleep wise we have been doing some bribery coupled with meditation stories. Its been working well. Until tonight. Because I opened my big mouth and jinxed it Sigh. Oh well.

I'm contemplating pulling him from swimming lessons in the afternoons also. This afternoon was another horrendous lesson and I think it has a lot to do with how late in the afternoon its done. But to pull him from afternoons means pulling him altogether as weekends aren't an option. I dunno, I don't like the idea of no lessons, but we're just wasting money when he can't concentrate by the time we get there.

School photos coming up Eeep!

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

BC our school photos were awesome

ZF oh no re the monkey bars accident, poor love

DSs party was great. We still had 10 kids - only 2 school friends showed up, so rude!

Student free day today so first day of term is tomorrow. Winter uniform kicks in and DS isn't happy as he us a shirts and tshirt kinda kid lol

Sports day on Friday, I have changed my RDO to help out and attend - yay

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

Speaking of school photos ours were taken in March and they still haven't arrived!

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

Nai - did you have to pre-pay your school photos too? I find it very strange to pay for the photos and select a package before they are even taken ..

MN - it's an awkward time of year for parties. I am possibly worst mother as I didn't arrange a party for DS1 - just had his "birthday breakfast" (he chose porridge! I have a strange child!) and pressies then I invited one family for a playdate.

BlackCat - we are having problems with DS1 sleeping - little energiser bunny! I've started a new program where I turn all TVs and computers (so all electrical) stuff off at 8pm when DS2 goes to bed, and then over the next half hour we play lego (nice and calm) and take a couple of sprays of Rescue Remedy sleep stress every 10 minutes in between washing teeth, toileting and getting changed. Seems to be working? Maybe?
    have a good day all

Mar 2009
    Sunshine Coast

Wow, somehow if missed this had moved to a new thread! Whoops, lots to catch up on!

1234 ...