12311 ...

thread: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2015 - Chat

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Sep 2008
    Melbourne

Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2015 - Chat

Seeing as there are threads for 2014 and 2016 - thought would start one for 2015.

DD will start next year, until very recently I was 100% sure of where she would go - the state school at the bottom of the road - as it has a very good rep, is easily walkable and has a bilingual program.

She probably will still go there, but recently have been wondering at the sense of our plan. We live in a small two bed flat, the area is very expensive - we can live here ok for a good few more years but will have to move at some point - but may never be able to afford to buy here. The public high schools are good enough here so that is a benefit of staying round here.

The zone for the primary school may change our flat is not likely to ever move out of it as is bang in center but the availability of 3 bed housing to buy or rent within the zone at the moment is limited and if the zone shrinks is likely to be even more so, and it seems that in future if you move out of zone even siblings won't necessarily get a place.

I wonder if we would be better off living elsewhere (a better demographic/ideology fit), but then I think the decision is probably too late to make before starting of primary schools - as don't enrollments have to be in May sort of time? Plus don't really have an idea of where to go :-) Also DD also refers to it as her school and talks about it all the time. She doesn't have a specific friend who will go there as a lot of her childcare friends will either go to private school or are in a different zone for primary - but she does know a few people who will go there.

Oct 2008
    Victoria

re: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2015 - Chat

I don't have any real advice but I can understand your concerns. We had our school picked out and then decided to buy in another area and moved just before xmas last year. We are not likely to get into the original school, and seeing it is now a 20 minute drive away (not in school traffic) we are looking elsewhere. I don't know anything about the schools nearby. Decision needs to be made by June!

Add Khaleesi on Facebook

Feb 2007
    Wonderland

DD2 will be starting school next year, She'll turn 6 in March so i'm hoping she'll be more ready to start school.
    She's really looking forward to going to 4yo Kinder this year, we brought her new shoes & a backpack etc..

Public schools don't really have a cut off for enrollments, if your in their zone they have to accept you but that doesn't help much if you don't know where to move.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Oct 2007
    Outer South East Melbourne :)

DD1 will be starting prep next year too. She turns 5 on 21 Jan this year but we decided (in consultation with her Kinder teachers and the council Field Officer) to start her next year and she'll be doing another year of 4yr old Kinder this year. The extra year is for maturity more than anything else.
    she will be going to our local Catholic primary school

Add Khaleesi on Facebook

Feb 2007
    Wonderland

Where about are you GW?
    I'm also outer south east

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

DD2 will be in prep next year.
    It's a very small school (19 kids total) 2min down the road.

DD1 will be in grade 1 and they will be in the same class for the next 5yrs!

BellyBelly Member
    Add leckert on Facebook Follow leckert On Twitter

Mar 2008
    still on the teaching contract roundabout

Ds1 starts next year going to a local Lutheran primary school - did interview for that earlier last year; glad we got in earlyish on that as now I hear there's a waiting list for his year. I think it's a max of 2 classes per year for the school and they're capping themselves at about 300 students. SA is single intake from this year otherwise he probably would have started term 3 this year; not sure if he'd be ready maturity wise this year anyway, although he'll be 5.5 yrs when he finishes childcare :/

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

Dd willbe starting in 2015. She is beyond ready already according to her! We haven't decided on a school yet. We have one very nearby but it's reputation is questionable.

Apr 2009
    Epping, VIC

Subbing- will reply later :-)

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Mar 2008
    Vic

We're here. DD1 turns five this March, so she'll be nearly six when starting. I've seriously struggled with deciding on a school for her and now I'm resigned that she'll probably move schools somewhere in her primary school years.

She talks about primary school all the time. One of her friends asked her why she isn't starting school this year and she just looked at us as though she was missing out. Quite a few of her friends are starting this year, they're the same age as her. It never crossed my mind that she would feel left behind and I hope her friends don't treat her differently because she's still a kinder kid. Intellectually, she's ready. She's staring to teach herself to read, talks about what different words start with ("Mum, flower starts with F"), can count and write numbers to 100, can write a fair amount of words without help. Emotionally is where I've always worried about her. Her kinder teacher said we're not doing he wrong thing by keeping her back. I've heard many parents say that they've regretted sending heir child early, but nobody has said it about keeping their child back.

The school we're thinking of is in a large country style town about twenty minutes away. Have heard mixed reports about it. Has good arts and music programs, lunchtime instrument lessons. I think she'll be okay there. They run an entire year of pre prep classes, kids go for a session each week so that it's all pretty familiar when they start.

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

Re: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2015 - Chat

Just edited title. Foundation is meant to be the new term for Prep/Kinder (depending on the state you are in)

Feb 2006
    melbourne

DD2 is also going next year, she turns 5 next month, she's also socially and academically ready but we feel not emotionally, though we decided when she was only 1 that she wouldnt be going early.

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

At this stage, DD will be starting in 2015. She is an April baby, so will be one of the youngest. She did 3 year old kinder last year (2 x 3 hours), and starts 4 year old kinder soon. They are all new kids and teachers this year, but she generally makes friends easily. Many of the kids in her kinder class this year will follow on to the same school.

Oct 2007
    Perth,WA

My dd will be starting foundation next year too. This year she will be starting kindy - which is part of the school she will be starting foundation (pre-primary), for 5 days a fortnight. Ds1 was in prep last year so she knows what it's all about, and although she's only turning 4 in May, she's well and truly ready for it.

Sep 2008
    South West Sydney, NSW

DD starts kindergarten (if it will still be called that who knows LOL) in 2015. For me this year is about celebrating the last of our mostly informal timetable at the moment we have scheduled things but I have the freedom to schedule and reschedule as needed - next year that flexibility goes out the window

We haven't yet decided on a school

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2008
    Perth, WA

DS1 starts pre-primary/prep/foundation next year. We are in WA at the moment, but there's a good chance we'll be back in Qld by then...not sure how the change will go. Either way, the education system seems similar between the two, and DS will be one of the youngest. Academically, I have no qualms about his readiness. Socially and emotionally he's made great progress in the last six months, partly from going to 3yo kindy, so I'm hoping he'll continue to mature over the next 12 months. If it's too much, he'll do kindy again next year.

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2008
    Yarra Valley, Victoria

DD starts next year, and is also a March baby (1st of to be exact). We have one primary school very close, easy walking distance, but does have some bad reports.
    Otherwise, there are 2 primaries within a 5-10 drive and then another 4 within a 20 minute drive (radius) so I will go have a squiz at all of them. I really want the walking distance one to be great, as I much prefer the idea of bundling twins into pram vs car, but we shall see...
    WYSIWYG - I would enrol your DD into your local primary school so at least she's in for this year and them change as needed. It won't harm her any to move when/if needed...

BellyBelly Member

May 2007

DD is going next year. She is going to be turning 5 next month. She will go to the school her brother is already at. I am confident with our decision for her to be a late started. We decided a long time ago. DS struggles academically, and I didn't want to end up with two struggling even though I am confident she could have gone with no problems.

12311 ...