Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2015 - Chat

Default Re: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2015 - Chat

That is very strange.

Like you Olive i'm really glad i didn't my DD this year, seeing how far she has come this year has been amazing.
    She's confident & she listens to he teachers. I always get told how beautifully she is doing & how helpful she is to the other kids.
    I think next year she will settle in well

She had her interview & she starts transition days in Oct.
    I said we will buy her school bag soon as we pretty much have all her uniform thanks to DD1 & 2 of her friends.

That is so bizarre wysiwyg. I'm assuming this is because the school is zoned? Wonder why something with your address on it isn't enough. Will be interested in hearing what the department says about it, I would not be happy either.

I haven't filled out any enrolments yet! The school is small, only 115 children and the principal says he is accepted...but just want it to be official lol. I am so impressed with this principal. We have met her a few times and mentioned Moo's anxiety when she offered to visit him at kinder etc. Sure enough last week the kinder teacher informs me that the principal has been in contact to arrange a day to visit him!

I have actually been quite worried about him going to school, how he was going to cope, it has been brought up about an extra year of kinder etc. But he just seems to have matured in the last week or two, just turned 5 on Monday actually so possibly has had a leap of some kind. Even his kinder teacher is now saying that school is where he needs to be. A load off my mind for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Hestia~ View Post
    That is so bizarre wysiwyg. I'm assuming this is because the school is zoned? Wonder why something with your address on it isn't enough. Will be interested in hearing what the department says about it, I would not be happy either.
    It is zoned and with an enrollment ceiling (so grounds are not deemed big enough to go over a certain amount) - there was actually an article in the age recently "School zones frustrate parents" which named the school. I sympathize with their position - but it is their attitude that sucks - and the fact they are asking for something which doesn't even prove current ownership. They feel address only is not enough because of all the shenanigans that go on to get kids into the school (e.g. people taking out short leases just for enrollment etc.) - people giving home address as an investment property which is in the zone etc. They are trying to make sure that people who live here do get in, through proof of ownership and proof of residence or things like seeing year long leases and statutory declarations (you can apparently get a stat dec from the local police station stating your intention to renew or lease in the area if currently residing in the area but unable to show a lease for all of 2015 - of course you can get a stat dec and intend to do something but then not actually do it or not be able to do it). But really none of these things actually will stop people who desperately want to go to this school and don't intend to live round here long term and are happy to travel to it.

But we actually do live right in the middle of the zone - and if we moved to someone non walking distance away I would change schools (although the zone is actually quite small (and the school is not the center) - so you can live easily walkable and not be in zone (if we moved out of zone before DS starts in 2017 then he wouldn't be guaranteed a place, I can live with that) - I know they have alot of siblings down to start this year - now some cynical people might suggest that the fact they were so rubbish about having an info evening, or providing any info, and then this - that they are actually trying to put new families off starting - because I know existing parents are up in arms about the siblings if you move out of zone thing (which is somewhat understandable) - and is probably easier for the school to keep existing parents happy.

I am not sure what the answer is for the schools round here - it isn't an area booming with children like some (you would think with the school expecting 110 for foundation I would know another parent wouldn't you but I don't - where they all hang out is beyond me :-)) - the bilingual thing distorts things somewhat (although plenty of people are put off by that also) but the next two closest schools are also zoned with enrollment ceilings - so it isn't just that.

Anyone started with their transitions or have heard what they are going to be?

I took Moo on an official tour even though he has toured the school privately about 3 times already lol. He went to kinder beforehand and when I picked him up, came out yelling 'are we going to my school now?!' Safe to say he is excited! His transition dates are 3 Friday sessions in a row, the first two being an hour and a bit and the last being half a day. There is an option for extra sessions if need be and his new principal will be visiting the kids at kinder too.

Found out that the Foundation kids will do whole days straight away but have Wednesday off for the entire first term.

I haven't heard from it school although they did tell me that they don't send out anything until October so I'm expecting to hear in the next month. As far as I'm aware the foundation kids start straight in with normal full 5 days from the start of the year.

Hi all, it's time to join this thread officially, although I've been reading along since it started

Dd2 starts kindy next year. I've spent the first half of this year convincing her that school is a positive not a punishment, and finally she has started to get excited about kindy. We've enrolled, dd2 gave them her paperwork a couple of weeks ago. It's the local public primary school, dd1 is in yr1 there and so far it's been overall good.

Re the zoning thingy, our school is really strict on it, but we know of so many families that use work addresses, relatives addresses etc just to get in. Dd1's class was the biggest in the schools history, and next year is looking just as big (this years kindy was a little smaller though).

Dd2 gets one or two orientations, and they only last an hour or so each time.

We haven't had confirmation of enrollment yet, I assume transition will be Nov time, but some schools round here have started transition already.

MM I would double check on the 5 full days if is a public school in VIC as every school I have heard of do either Wed off first term, or finish an hour early every day first term (which is what DD will have) - is meant to be something to do with the teachers doing 'individual learning plans'. It isn't well communicated in my opinion though, I only know because of the after school care mentioning it, and speaking to people with kids already in school. For working parents particularly the Wed off is kind of important to know really.

Most schools in Vic have Wednesday off till March.
    Our school does 2 half days, Wednesday off then 2 full days. Then every Wednesday off till Labour day.

DD2 starts orientation next month, she will have 4 sessions in Oct. 3 sessions in Nov & then the half day on Dec 9th where she meet her teacher & fellow classmate for the following year.
    She is so excited, we have brought her school hat & will buy her bag next month. We have a lot of uniform from DD1 & DD1s best friend has given us her old uniforms as well.

I'm jumping in too My big boy - DS1 starts kindergarten/foundation in NSW next year. He was 5 in July and could have gone this year (NSW cutoff is 31/7) but he definitely wasn't ready. He is ready now though and is really excited. He goes to daycare with a preschool program 3 days per week and is loving learning his letters and sounds and so much more. He is going to our zoned local public school. They have a really long orientation program - he goes every second Thursday morning from 9-11.30am for 11 weeks. We are about halfway through I think. He loves it and it's been great for his anxiety about new people and places. My main concern at the moment is the fact I'll be starting back at work from Mat leave when he starts and I'll need to take a few days off - I'm a teacher and it's a PITA to have time off in the establishment phase of the new year - but it can't be helped!

We've officially enrolled but haven't started on uniforms etc yet - I'm in denial about having to iron his school shirts!

We start transition at the start on November, DD is very excited!!

For us school goes back on Friday the 30th, they do a half day, the following week it full days with Wednesday off for the first term.

How do you find out start date? Or will it be the same across the state - VIC? Have a form from daycare where they want to know last day, but know nothing from school yet (ours is useless IMO at informing anything).

We start feb 2nd I think.
    We have interviews on the 29th/30th.
    Pretty sure its those dates anyways.

For DD1 I was given an info sheet on her last day of transition.
    It had her class details, term dates, uniform list etc...
    Public schools tend to start back & finish on the same date

I'm in here too!

DD will start at the local school- 5 minutes walk down the road.
    We have our acceptance letter- transition starts early November.
    2 x 2 hour sessions with parents attending and then another 2 hour session without parents.
    She is very excited and looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    How do you find out start date? Or will it be the same across the state - VIC? Have a form from daycare where they want to know last day, but know nothing from school yet (ours is useless IMO at informing anything).
    Just had a look at our information pack and it states all children start on Friday January 30th. Maybe call the school to confirm, they would know by now I would think. Oh edited to add this is a public school.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaunet View Post
    We've officially enrolled but haven't started on uniforms etc yet - I'm in denial about having to iron his school shirts!
    Iron? i didn't know that was part of it!

DD has been to some story time sessions at the school, with official orientation In Oct/Nov. There are 6 sessions plus a meet & greet BBQ on this weekend.

The boys school shirts are an awful fabric that really need ironing Every other local school just has polo tshirts! Just my luck lol!

I just asked our school office when school starts back!
    Our school uses the Wednesdays off to test the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    We haven't had confirmation of enrollment yet, I assume transition will be Nov time, but some schools round here have started transition already.

MM I would double check on the 5 full days if is a public school in VIC as every school I have heard of do either Wed off first term, or finish an hour early every day first term (which is what DD will have) - is meant to be something to do with the teachers doing 'individual learning plans'. It isn't well communicated in my opinion though, I only know because of the after school care mentioning it, and speaking to people with kids already in school. For working parents particularly the Wed off is kind of important to know really.
    I had thought the same thing re them doing one day off or short days but the teacher said they just start straight in with full weeks. I may not have been clear when I asked though so I am looking forward to the information coming.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast