Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2016 chatter

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Default re: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2016 chatter

Kinder applications here must be done at age 2 to have a chance! I sent DS1 to kinder that is next door to the school, 6 from his kinder group are going to 3 prep classes (2 straight and 1 is a prep/1) and he only has 1 friend in his class and rest are all on another class!!! So the having friends for school doesn't really work!!! He will be fine but ahhhh wasn't my plan!!

Wow peanutter thats a lot of schools!! I looked at 2 only and liked both, the one we picked for DS1 won because it is close and walking distance so DH can do drop off at before school care where as other one I would always need to drive them to and pick up on way to and from work! Plus this is a much smaller school.

Ah it is hard work!! Starts with pick a hospital or OB, pick a CC, Pick a kinder, pick a primary school then high school!!! Constant stress and decisions and always worry have you made right choice!

Default Re: Foundation (Prep/Kinder) 2016 chatter

**Just changed the thread title to Foundation to be inline with the Australian Curriculum **

I've chosen which school I want DD1 to go to, hopefully they're able to take her. It's across town, and there's about four schools that are closer. I want this one purely for their LOTE program - they do AUSLAN I've heard other good things about the school of course, but that's what drew me there to begin with.

I really should check if it's easy to get public transport there, I doubt I'll have another car by then

With the 'foundation' thing, is every state going to call the first year Foundation? In SA we call it Reception.

I think it's the curriculum rather than the name of the year. In the Territory we call it Transition, but NSW calls it Kindergarten (they don't have a kinder program like all the other states).

We call it prep

The Australian Curriculum v5.2 Talks about Foundation to Yr 12.

Personally have found that during 2013, the communications from the local primary schools transitioned from using Prep to Foundation. Alot of this discussion has been had in the 2014 thread.

Considering there is often confusion with the whole different states calling the first year of Primary school something different, the use of Foundation should make it easier for members to know whether they are dealing with a preschool/kinder thread or a prep/reception/kinder/transition/ first year of prep thread.

It makes sense for them to have a uniform term for the first year of schooling - but the change of this thread has been the first time I have heard it called foundation (including in my email correspondence with 11 local primary schools, discussions with other parents with kids in school, colleagues, friends, family, playgroup people, friends who are teachers ... etc).

When the thread title got changed, I actually googled it - and found that the Victorian government based sites (Live In Victoria, education.vic.gov.au, etc) that I looked at all still call it prep. The link you've now posted is the only thing I've seen using that term.

I'm not having a go at you for changing the thread title, I'm saying that from my perspective, the term "prep" is still the common term being used in Victoria.

In any event, it's a side issue.

So how are people deciding what school to enrol their LOs in?

What's on the "must have" list?

I'm confused as to which age group this is. DD will be 2 in February, which means she will be 4 in the Feb of 2016 and starting what we call Kindergarten here in WA. We go K, Pre-Primary, Years 1-12. Is this the same year group you lot are all talking about?

I've never heard it either, but agree that it makes sense for all states/territories to call it the same thing. It gets confusing that some states call the first year of school kinder, where we use that term for the four year old year before school.

We never used to have a question where our kids would go to school. The local public primary and high schools were both great so they'd just go there. There was only one local private primary school and one private high school and their education programs and reputations were very comparable to the public schools.

Now we've moved, and have a choice of one public high school with a horrible reputation (and I've met quite a few of the graduates - not people I care to meet again!) and two private high schools. We've chosen a high school based on its size, cost, reputation, and acceptance. By that I mean both private schools are religious, but one appears less pushy than the other and is very accepting of all cultures and religions. We loved the tour we did.

So for primary school, we can go to the primary school on the same campus as the high school, the tiny one in our town (only two classes and 30 kids) or the small one in the next town (one class for each year level). I'm leaning towards the private one because DD can keep the same friends and campus the whole way through, her two besties from childcare are going there, and I really like their teaching style. We are checking out the small one in the next town once school goes back though.

Quote Originally Posted by phebee View Post
    I'm confused as to which age group this is. DD will be 2 in February, which means she will be 4 in the Feb of 2016 and starting what we call Kindergarten here in WA. We go K, Pre-Primary, Years 1-12. Is this the same year group you lot are all talking about?
    This thread is for what you call Pre-Primary. SA also calls the four year old year Kindergarten

What Teeki said, phebee

In Vic, you have to be 5 by the end of April. DS1 doesn't turn 5 until May 2015, so he'll be in prep in 2016.

I have heard that you can sit some sort of "test" to get let in anyway, but I haven't looked into it, and can't see any merit in doing that for DS1 anyway. He'll be fine to wait another year. From the little reading I've done about boys and schooling, being that bit older will probably actually be a really good thing for him.

The things we're looking at are:-

1. active use (and not just lip service) of the inquiry learning method.

2. class size and school size.

3. being able to walk to school (a big plus in my book).

4. plenty of outdoor activities.

5. sports programs there, or linked (particularly soccer).

6. what music and arts programs they do (again - there's obviously the curriculum, but different schools have really different approaches).

7. what (if any) languages they teach.

8. what (if any) parental involvement is expected, encouraged, etc.

9. what kinders feed into it (and whether we're happy with that/those kinders).

10 what (if any) animal involvement they have.

I'm obviously also doing a fair bit of reading on the "my schools" site, but I'm doing it with a large grain of salt.

That reminds me nutter, I was very interested in classes outside of the regular English, maths, etc. The private school we like has music and dance classes, a language (either German, French or Indonesian) class, excellent sports, and as it's attached to the high school which has an ag program there are farm animals on site that they interact with and learn about.

It's not all done at the same time and there is choice, but I love that those extras are there, I didn't have any of those options as a kid.

Our school is changing to foundation this year in Vic, which means dd2 is in F-W, there is also an F-O glad the kids don't know what it can stand for but there were a lot if sniggers at the info night.

Our school is public and reintroducing Indonesian this year, love the idea although it wasn't something we actively looked at when choosing a school.

BR it used to be just grades 3-6 doing Indonesia but now it's from grade 1-6

PN yes it's changing to foundation

Ah I got confused then! DD will be starting NSW kindergarten (pre-primary? In nsw we have pre-school (4), kindy(5), 1-12) in 2016, as she will be turning 5 in feb 2016. Methinks I need to find the other thread! so confusing with all the different school structures!
    Last edited by xXHopeXx; January 12th, 2014 at 10:18 PM.

Nope, you're in the right thread Hope! This is for the first year of formal, five day a week school when they're five years old.

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

In qld it's now called prep. My son is 5 in feb 2016 and the but off for that year is born before June 30.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast