Thread: Homeschooling

Default Homeschooling

This is a thread for anyone who is, or is interested in Homeschooling your child(ren).

Hi

I am a potential homeschooler of our 2 little boys, who are 3 and 2. My DH is really keen on homeschooling and I am gaining more confidence but coming at it from a last resort kind of angle.

So is there anybody else out there in BB land that are/ or could be homeschooling?

Hi there = just found this = I homeschool. Have done for 12 years, schooling 5 atm, happy to answer any questions.

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

Halltribe. I always wanted to homeschool and everyone tells me that you cant beat the social interaction of school. also people comment how homeschooling is only really good for big families. I see you have 8. have you always homeschooled, so at one point you would have just been HSing one. how did you find this. How do you get the social side of school when homeschooling.
    So you have a general framework to follow but what about things like sport, do you 'out source' any of these things?? are both you and you partner involved in different parts of the childrens schooling??
    I have a million questions but i think its easier if i just ask you what the biggest hurdles you faced are and what the main advantages and disadvantages you have found over the years, for both you and the children. thanks is advance!!

Hi Becs - I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

Socialization - It is always the first thing people bring up negatively about h/sing. Firstly kids in general are usually as social as their parents are no matter whether they are in school or not. A child sent to school will learn to socialize with his peers a bunch of 5 year olds,etc. A h/sed child will learn to socalize with all ages. There is a huge h/s network out there with regular meetups for sports, educational trips, etc. Often the type of socialization kids get at school is not what we as parents desire or our children. I met my children or most other h/s children you will find that socialization is not a problem at all and these children are not introverted. When I started h/sing my first I was involved with other h/siing families (there are heaps of us around) and my oldest son is more outgoing than all my others!!!

Curriculum - yes you do need to cover all bases of the National curriculum, but in that you can add so much more and go so much deeper. There is 1000's of options out there of curriculum and styles, etc but ask lots of questions, look at as much as you can and you will still probably change around a bit to find what suits your child the best. At the end of the day nobody knows your child better than you. I use a mixture of Australian curriculum, a phonics programme from the States, and bits and pieces of other stuff. I am able to tailor make it for each of my kids different needs and learning styles.

I do the core subjects with the children and my hubby puts in the more practical side, experiements,etc. H/sing is a lifestyle decision and something you just incorparate into your daily life. My younger children and being brought up in this enviroment an are so quick to learn and read it blows me away. H/sing is not to be taken on lightly as it is a huge conviction and committment, do your reasearch. It is a whole nother world.

Check out the Aussie Homeschool site - they have good forums there to ask lots of questions on.

We homeschool.
    Ds started off at school he was there for 2years and 2 months.
    He left as he was being bullied and the school took no responsibility for that. Nor did they do anything to help.
    Since then we have homeschooled we turned to it in desperation I have to admit.
    Homeschooling has been the best thing we have ever done.
    Dd has never been to school although she did go to kinder.

I have found homeschoolers make a special effort to "Socalise" their children. As already stated homeschooled children are not forced to socalise with other children the same age they are free to socalise with every age group, although they do tend to gravitate to other children around their own age.

I do the bulk of the teaching. The only time this really differs is if I am struggling with Maths. Dh is brilliant at maths and on the odd occation he teaches our highschooler a concept I am struggling with and ends up teaching me as well. lol

Homeschool and the smaller family. I homeschooled our son while we had a toddler, it was tricky but it worked out fine.

Advantage; Ds when at school lost his love of learning. He was being held back in maths and pushed ahead in english.
    At home he has excelled at maths and is well above his grade level, with english, spelling and grammar he is well below his grade level. Since he has been home we have discovered he has Dyslexia. We have the freedom to teach the children at their level not where the system believes they should be. I believe this freedom has assisted our ds in learning to love learning again. You do have to follow your states requirements in Victoria these are the 8 key learning areas, but are free to teach what you wish providing you follow these requirements. Some familys follow the "National Curriculum" others do not. I have seen and read the National curric. and to my surprise we had already tought the children what was required at their age level without knowing we had already covered the NC.

There are many styles of homeschooling and not every style suits every family, same can be said for learning styles not every child learns the same way.
    One of my kids is a visual learner the other is a kinesthetic learner. Knowing this I teach each child to suit them.

Disadvantages; I'm sorry at this time I can not think of any.

Sport; We let our children choose which sport they would like to do. Sometimes they do it for a few weeks, sometimes for a season, sometimes for a few years. We leave that up to them but if I have paid for the term, they complete the term. If I pay for the season, they play for the season. The sports they play are after school sports with school kids.

The biggest hurdle for us is I'd say family and friends that do not agree with our decision to homeschool on a long term basis.
    A lot of people think "school" is the only way to educate our children.
    My parents get it, my sister does not, so we don't talk about it. She does things I don't agree with and we don't talk about them either.
    Dh's family are fine about ds homeschooling, he is their step grandchild but dd was another matter all together. It took them a while to realise that she is our child not theirs and we are homeschooling her as it's our decision not theirs.
    Friends well alot of my friends are teachers, most were very supportive but one in particular took serious offence in the beginning. I was attacking her profession and way of life. Now though, 4 weeks ago she said she can see how ds and dd have matured since we started homeschooling and now agrees it was a wonderful decision.

I think the hardest part of homeschooling is deciding to homeschool followed by which curriculum to use (if any).
    Homeschooling does not have to expensive. Do you have a library card?
    If you like the idea of homeschooling but are worried about choosing the curriculum there is always "Distance Education". It's sort of school in a box. Homeschooling school curricula.

It took us a while to find our groove and settle on curricula that works for us but now we have there is no turning back.
    I'm sorry about my spelling and grammar. I'm very tired tonight and my spelling and grammar are the first things to fail me when I'm tired.
    Last edited by fromscratch; May 14th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to get more information on homeschooling in NSW? Is there a site with the Curriculum outlined? Local groups etc? Its an option next year for our DD and I want to look into it further before having a debate with my husband over it. I'm not sure where to go from here.

G'day Mildez,
    I am in Vic so different legalities but you could try Home Education Association Inc. (Australia) - supporting homeschooling parents in Australia They are called the home education assocation. They seam to be based in NSW from what I can see.
    There is also Otherways: Home Education Network this is a Vic. orginasation although they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Otherwise you could try Homeschool specific forums such as Rockpool Homeschool (caters for both secular and religious homeschoolers) or
    AussieHomeschool (although there is a small secular community this community is mostly made up of religious homeschoolers)
    Both forums are friendly supportive places to go. Both will give you the opportunity to ask questions and search their old threads. You can ask anyquestion you wish and they will try their best to answer them for you. These forums are very good places to make friends with other homeschoolers in your area or close to your area.
    Have fun. There is a wealth of information out there.

Secular basicly means non religious.

I'm not sure there would be a site to specifically answer your question about curriculum.
    Though in Victoria we do have to follow the requirements outlined by the V.R.Q.A. Victorian registrations and qualifications authority They stipulate that vic homeschoolers follow the 8 key learning areas. We are free to teach what curriculum we wish providing it falls within these guidelines.
    Is this what you mean?
    I really do advise that you contact hea or hen as well as at least one of the forums for some sort of guidance. There will be homeschoolers in your state that will be able to guide you better as to the requirements in NSW.

I hope I have helped.
    Last edited by Epacris; June 6th, 2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Please do not link to other forums as per BellyBelly guidelines. :)

Thank you for your reply. You have given me some great starting points to go have a look at.

my daughter is almost 8 and in grade 2 this year, she is doing very well at school she has gotten into a enrichment program, but we go away alot well did and sometimes i am so over school, i was wondering if anyone does home schooling and what your opinion is, we are in QLD so any info would be great, not something i will rush into now, but maybe future depending on how this carbon tax thing goes and expenses and if we can live here, we already moved from the gold coast to hervey bay due to not being able to afford it down there, thats another worry is rental prices and what not dont want to have to put her out of school all the time if we move from one place to another, she started school at hervey bay so that was a good time to move,

Hi - re homeschooling in Qld - I have all the info but not time to answer atm - I will try to get back here tonight. Or you could pm me. We also travel alot for work and hospital appointments and like you lived on the Gold Coast for a while but moved to Hervey Bay - beautiful town.

hey what is ur email and ill email you, mine is [email protected] wow your in hervey bay to, small world lol

great thread...i'm very interested in this myself...
    i have a question i hope someone can answer for me...

how do you tackle homework? do you aim to get all of the work done during the day?

We do all our work during the day,unless the kids want to do more work on their own. Yes it actully happens, children wanting to do extra work on their own, in their own time.
    While homeschooling, homework becomes redundant. By definition you already do all your work at home, hense the name homeschool. You can if you wish set extra work but I have found this unnecessary to date.

Children are naturally curious and want to learn.
    When my ds was at school and in prep, he loved dinosaurs. School didn't cover them at all but he wanted to learn as much as he could. So he did. We read books, went to the museum to see fossils and devoured as much info on the net as we could. So he learned about something intetesting and educational on his own. No need to set homework when you nurture a childs natural love of learning like this.
    I hope I answered your question.
    Last edited by fromscratch; June 23rd, 2011 at 12:05 PM.