Thread: How early in Foundation/Prep did you start using out of hours school care?

Default How early in Foundation/Prep did you start using out of hours school care?

When your child starts school and you need to use OHSC, when do people start using it, first day, second day, second week etc. ?

We will need before and after three days a week ( first term prep finishes an hour earlier than normal school ) - trying to work out whether will need my parents around or if people start using OHSC pretty much straight away.

Default Re: How early in Foundation/Prep did you start using out of hours school care?

DD is in daycare so the long hours don't concern me as much as whether many preps will be there.

Default Re: How early in Foundation/Prep did you start using out of hours school care?

Mine started 2nd week (in theory was only 3rd day of school). This was only due to my ex working and they go 5 days a week on the weeks they are with him

They all have been In LDC so long school days didn't bother them

My dd started 2nd week. Would've been week 1 if DH was on afternoon shift.. It just so happened that I was able to do drop off, and DH home for pick up.

We started using OSCH within two weeks, it was morning from around 7am and afternoon as well. He coped very well as he was a Creche kid to start with. That helped.

You do what you have to and kids adapt quite well as the program is well run if they have the right staff on.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

DS1 started Before and after school care 2 weeks (given first week was only 2 days and 2nd week 4 days so really after 6 days at school) after starting school. He attends before and after school care 3 days a week (apart from the 2 weeks with no school Wednesdays in prep) He loves going before and after and actually gets upset if I pick him up too early.

He had been at CC 2 full days a week last year 0730-1730. So was used to long hours.

Second week here also. First week I took off work as they finished at one and up until mid march I had to shuffle one of my work days (I work 3 days) as they didn't attend on weds.

Cool, thanks for the replies, so I think school will start on the 29th which is a Thursday so we can plan to sort something for first day, Fri I don't normally work and then Monday can start the OHSC. I think my mum will be disappointed, but they are due back to England 31 Dec so is better that don't have to have around.

Feeb, DD is like that with daycare she wants picking up as close to six as possible and moans if I am earlier :-) (although the other day I picked up at 5:40 and she moaned I was too early, but ten mins later when I told her I had to go out at 7:00 she said "but we haven't spent any time together today" - you cant win :-)

Seems a bit strange that they charge $10 for prep gap 2:30 to 3:30 and only $17 for 3:30 to 6:00 - why should that hour be more? Pro rata the prep gap hour should be $6.8

Probably as they have to bring the staff in earlier to cover the early prep time