Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did your chosen school provide in terms of information sessions prior to enrolment

Default Re: What did your chosen school provide in terms of information sessions prior to enrolment

Our school doesn't do an open day and doesn't do scheduled tours. What they do is a "prospective new parents" talk in May (must be education week, I didn't realise), which is for all prospective parents, prep or otherwise. I did get the feeling that it is geared at prep parents but anyone else is welcome too. They talked a lot about the standard prep day and the prep staff were all there to present bits and answer questions.

The principal said at the time that he was open to tours at any time, to just turn up and he'd be happy to walk any prospective parents and students through the school.

So we took him up on that and turned up one day with the kiddies in tow (all three of them). Sadly he was out for the afternoon but the office staff grabbed two of the house captains, grade 6 kids, who took us around. It was great, we got an interesting perspective from them and could ask them questions. They spoke to DD and took her around by the hand, very cute.

That was about it, pre-enrolment.

And we finish an hour early on last day of term too - another Melb school.

Default Re: What did your chosen school provide in terms of information sessions prior to enrolment

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    What they do is a "prospective new parents" talk in May (must be education week, I didn't realise), which is for all prospective parents, prep or otherwise. I did get the feeling that it is geared at prep parents but anyone else is welcome too. They talked a lot about the standard prep day and the prep staff were all there to present bits and answer questions.
    That is what I thought we would be getting the other night, as did the other parents there.

Did you put that to them?? Like maybe something happened and they were supposed to reschedule or something and they didn't get around to it..?

Quote Originally Posted by OceanPrincess View Post
    Did you put that to them?? Like maybe something happened and they were supposed to reschedule or something and they didn't get around to it..?
    Yes I asked a couple of times, to make sure was understood - honestly she looked at me like I had two heads. Once you are enrolled in November there are lots of sessions apparently, and I am free to go on the tour any of the first three Wednesdays in the month - that was their best offer. From what I can work out, they had the open evening Tuesday where existing parents and children could come and have a look at classrooms etc, the grumpy/rude reception lady had told lots of prospective parents this was on - but not made it clear that it was not really for prospective parents (e.g they weren't doing anything special for prospective parents (no foundation teachers there either)). So when we all showed up they had no one there to do anything - hence being taken on a tour by another prospective parent.

I get that mix ups happen fair enough, wouldn't hold that against them - but I would if I were them and had all these interested parents there, at least sat us down somewhere and attempted something - or offered to do it another evening. A comment was made about how they structure the tours or they would always be being disrupted by people who are just vaguely interested in attending but not even in the zone - I wanted to say well why not just hold one prep info evening a year and then you wouldn't have to have people traipsing through every Wednesday!

Yes our school doesn't do tours all year round. It does a whole lot during May to coincide with education week. I am sure they would accommodate individuals for interviews as well.
    Hope you get in there and stir them up next year. One thing our school does really well is communication. Weekly newsletter has everything and people would definitely know school finishes early at end of term! Is it a small school?

Quote Originally Posted by anney View Post
    Weekly newsletter has everything and people would definitely know school finishes early at end of term! Is it a small school?
    No is about 500, so not small. They have a parent login on their website so maybe inside that it is all fantastic with reams of info :-) Maybe the neighbor doesn't know about the parent portal (I work in IT and the number of times the information is out there but no one has been told - it wouldn't surprise me) - you would expect though that instead of the Australia comment they would explain where he should have seen it and where will get info in future.

The reason I favor a general info evening is - I really am just interested in how it works in general not in the exception cases - (pure Q and A tends to be dominated by the "what if my child is ahead, how does any accelerated learning work" type questions, certainly was the case on Tue anyway) - also I think that you can tell alot about an organization by what they choose to tell you, it shows what they think is important more than just answering of questions. I don't want to be given the answer they think I want to hear based on my question. I want to know what they are really about.

I will just have to quiz some parents, hard when I don't really know any well, I may appear a bit crazy like in the thread on here about first question being about giving birth, but hopefully thay will get rid of my negative attitude.

My youngest DD goes to a different school than my other 2 went to. We did however go to both of the school tours just to compare the 2 and know that we were going to be making the right choice for our DD. The tours were both done very well, but the first school, our old one, they really wouldn't answer questions properly, they changed subjects or went off on another tangent, like they were hiding something! Came away from there thinking it was a great school but not 100% sure! The 2nd school, well, the tour was great, we did the tour with the students and the principal sat down with us afterwards and asked for questions and answered every single question, totally honestly, he was so up front and made sure that we all knew that if we ever had questions or problems that his door was always open! We are in our 4th year there now and what he told us that first day is certainly true! He knows every students name and makes a point of talking to all the students as he passes them in the playground or corridor! Issues that we have had have been dealt with immediately, no mucking around and consequences have been handed out! The teaching has also been great, my DD has had some issues with things and they have handled it all so well.
    Go with your gut feeling on a school. Seriously, the first school we looked at, has the better reputation around here for academics but not for the all round stuff, like the well being of the child. This school looks at the child as a whole, yes, they like them to do well academically but its not the only thing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12