Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas sewing.....

Well, so far I've cut out the fabric for one bag, sewed together all the fabric/felt for the men's pressies. I just ordered some sew-on snaps from the US from Ebay, I got some from Spotlight but they are the ones that each half of the snap clips together (so there are 4 bits to each snap rather than two) and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the back piece which has teeth in it to go through the felt and fabric. So that was an epic fail!!

Also started sewing up DD's christmas pinny. But I think I've done it wrong and am a bit stuck now...Using the same pattern as the other pinny I made, only with that one I followed the instructions and did it like a reversible one, only I won't be reversing it because the other side is just plain white cotton. With this one I *thought* I would take a shortcut and just sew the whole thing together as one, but now I'm stuck on the arm holes because no matter how I do it you're still going to see the hemline...I don't really want to unpick the sides and do it the way it is supposed to be done *sigh*

SS, you could get some bias binding or ric-rac to sew around it to hide it?

Quote Originally Posted by Liviam View Post
    I am thinking 800 x 500. With a draw string closure. Picture and their name on the front - what do you think??
    I think that would be a decent size. I got some for my older three when they were smaller and they were pillow case size and far too big.

Sounds good to me too Dan - one of the ones I was looking at ..ahem..copying last year was around 50 x 65 but I think a bit bigger than that would be good.

SS - I agree, some bias binding around the armholes might work? I can't wait to get started! I have my gf's hens next Saturday and the wedding in 2 weeks today so we are going to be super busy until then so no sewing for me but my list and ideas are growing so by the time I get to Spotlight I should be super motivated!

Enchanted Guest

SO excited!! Went and bought my fabric yesterday to sew the Advent Calendar link that Tan posted the other day!
    I have it all in front of me and am about to start measuring and cutting.... bring it on!! Loving reading what everyone is doing and hearing your ideas!!

The pinny doesn't look too bad now it's finished, but I do need something to cover a few messy bits where the fabric folded over a bit just next to the straps. Thinking I might make a little yo-yo with the two fabrics I used for the main part of it and the straps. Hopefully it will look ok..and next time I WILL follow the instructions

Finished one bag last night and sewed the other one up while DD was asleep today, so now I'm back to cutting more out again!
    have fun starting on yours Enchanted! I love buying fabric/materials..it's a good motivator!

DD and I ventured out to Spotlight and got the fabric for the santa sacks. Livvy picked the picture panel and got Santa faces (ran around spotlight showing everyone saying "Ho Ho Ho"). She wouldn't let me get a different feture panel for DS so I just got different colour material for the sack. DD picked them and got red for her and green for DS. I'm a bit worried how hers is going to look as it is red on red but DD wouldn't have it any other way. I'm going to put their names one it with an iron on christmas tree each. DD loved it so much but gee it made it difficult to get what I wanted. Fingers crossed it's going to look ok.

Sounds awesome Dan!!! I've got some gorgeous material to make a dress for DD but I can't sit at the machine at the moment hoping to get it done in time for Christmas!!!!

Enchanted Guest

How exciting Dan! They're such a crack up how they get an idea in their head and you have to run with it!
    I am sure they will look great!

I have my triangles and ribbon all cut and ready to go! I ended up sewing 1 last night but dinner, kids bedtime etc got in the way! So maybe back to it today!

I started making the placemats yesterday and they look pretty good. I got halfway through and I'm hoping to get more done today. If I get time I will post one to FB and post the link here. I've also decided to make stockings for the kids too - I just have el-cheapo felt ones from Go-Lo and they look manky and cheap. But I won't be able to get the fabric for them till I am able to go to spotlight - my local fabric store has a limited range of Christmas fabric and I want something funky for the kids and less traditional.

here is a pic I took of one of the placemats http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&l=297f62379f. I have 6 done so far and another 6 to go plus the table runner.

Enchanted Guest

Great job Trill!! Looking fantastic!!

Can't wait to see the table runner!

Love it Trill, looks awesome!!

Looks great Trillian!!! They are going to look gorgeous all set out with the runner!

Great thread I'm keeping it simple this year as hopefully we will be moving house over summer. The only project I have on the go ATM is a small cross stitch decoration for the tree... it's in my FB album. If I get it finished I'll start on anothery. Loving all these ideas though!

I was going to join in on the Christmas sewing, but both the sewing machine and overlocker crapped out on me today

I did DD's dress over the last 3 days. Still have to do an outfit for DS & stockings/bags for them

I am going to make a Santa Sack for DD aswell I have decided. Found a nice idea on the spotlight website.

And where do I find felt in Spotlight?? Can someone tell me! I was there yesterday and couldn't find it but couldn't be bothered asking coz there was a line at the counter.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast