Thread: Fabric Grain...

Default Fabric Grain...

I am looking at making sunhats for our three little people for Christmas. Im glad I started now as I'm already stuck!!

The pattern has arrows on the pieces stating "grain" now I know this has to do with how much stretch there is to be etc. But I have no idea which grain to put it on. The pattern doesnt tell me if it is to be the bias grain, the cross grain or the... whats the other one... well that one. Is there a standard assumed grain when its not stated? I'm trying to remember back to high school and using google and I lost.

The pattern is for the "Oliver + S reversible bucket hat".

Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

The grain is normally straight with the fabric not diagonal unless it specifies to cut on the bias (diagonal). You can put on the grain either way that fits your fabric - so either straight across width or straight with length. Hope that makes sense.

The fabric should have a finished edge, which is called the selvedge. The arrow on the pattern goes in the same direction as the selvedge.

If it is stretch material you are sewing the "grain" is the least stretchy direction........same direction as the finished edge.

Thank you guys so much!! I've pulled the fabric off the washing line and its ready to be pressed and cut. Can't wait now that I know my starting point

Post pics when you finish!