Thread: Sewing machine help

Default Sewing machine help

My sewing machine keeps jamming, through trial and error I think I've worked out the issue is either with the thread travelling through the needle or the bobbin, possible both.
    Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Sometimes when I use cheap thread I find that happens?
    Or when the bobbin isn't wound tightly enough?
    Does the machine need oiling?
    Or an adjust of tension?

Does it jam at the start of a seam or when you're chugging along happily?

It's a new machine but has been sitting for a while so might need oiling?

I looks like it's working fine to start off with but jams up now long after, haven't been able to get past a few stitches.
    I've tried a few different threads, tried adjusting the tension.
    I did notice that the bobbin sits a little loose in the casing thingy and the thread is getting caught up around the inside of where the bobbin sits.

try taking your bobbin out & putting it back into the casing the other way round. So the thread comes off the roll the other direction

What are you sewing? Is it PUL by any chance?

Try using two layers of cotton and put it on a straight stitch, with moderate tension. I would also wind a bobbin from the start too and rethread the machine. If its still jamming then it could be the thread you are using.

I've had issues in the past with the wrong size bobbin. Was causing the thread to catch around the bobbin. Just a thought maybe??

First thing is to pull it all apart and give everything a good clean (in the bobbin housing area - actually taking all the parts out - and everywhere, ensure if your machine needs oiling it gets it, etc). The second thing is to change your needle. Third is to check your tension is right for the fabric and thickness you are trying to sew. Fourth is to change your thread to a different brand / quality.

But in my experience, the issue is usually the first thing.

Yes to everything above, but also this:

I've done this in the past when it was a case of operator error. Pull the manual out and read the instructions. Pull all the thread out, and rethread the whole thing, making sure you hook the thread through every single little hook. Missing one will stuff it up. Also, rethread the bobbin and check that it's in the right way. Finally, check the tension, make sure the feed dogs are up/down (appropriate to what you're doing), and make sure the presser foot is at the correct height.

If you've tried all of that, the problem may be that the timing is out on the machine, in which case it might need to go to the shop for a service. It will purr like a pussycat after a bowl of cream when it's had a service.