Thread: Sewing novice - how to care for machine.

Question Sewing novice - how to care for machine.

Grandma gave me her sewing machine months ago and it's been sitting, unused and unloved. Last week I got it out and I'm in luuurve. It's an Elna Lotus TSP and it is the cutest, loveliest thing ever. I managed to make a little skirt for DD with a simple elastic waist and then yesterday I took up a dress that I really like but haven't worn yet as it dragged on the floor. I think the machine makes me want to sew things!

I've done a bit of research online but can't really find the specific answer. How do I care for this machine? It's got a little brush so I've sort of swept out the bobbin area but what else should I do? It sews nicely without any dramas, so I still need to oil it? I am just concerned I'll oil something I shouldn't and then my darling machine will break.

Also - I got creative and tried a zigzag stitch but now it seems to be stuck on zigzag and I'm unable to turn it back to straight stitch. It looks like it's on straight stitch but it keeps sewing slightly zigzag. I've consulted the manuals that came with the machine but apart from being afraid to touch them too much in case they disintegrate, they don't offer me any assistance.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Try and find a manual if you can - other than using the brush to brush the fluff out of it you should regularly oil it as well, there is special oil that you get for it to make it run smoothly, you might be able to find a manual or something on youtube that you can look up too. xox Have fun!

What Tan said.

Keep it covered, the condensation and moisture can be nasty to its gears and motor otherwise. A good clean with the brush after every use and change the needle every 8 hours of sewing or so.
    How old is it? Some newer models don't need anything more than that, except to be serviced. I do mine once a year, but really will depend on how often you use it and how old the machine it.

Thanks ladies

Limeslice - it's old. I looked it up on google and people are calling it "vintage" - hahahah. I might look around to see where I could get it serviced because I highly doubt it's been done in a while.

Tanstar - I've got the manual and it says just put a drop of the oil in a few spots. Thing is, I don't have the oil container it came in so I wasn't sure if I could just use any old oil I get from Spotlight?

Yeah just get a machine oil they are all made for any machines hun!! That should be all you need to do and then service occasionally although I've never done mine because mum used to be a seamstress and did mine for me!! Have fun!!