Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips, tricks and FAQs for Clueless Sewing Members

Default Tips, tricks and FAQs for Clueless Sewing Members

Welcome! Here is the place where sewing ignorance and expertise shall meet.
    Where helpless, hapless and clueless members trying to learn to sew can be instructed and guided by our more learned members and their resources.

If you have a sewing question, post in this thread. If you have an answer, post in this thread. Let's try and keep things to the basics, if you're trying to figure out how to sew a wedding dress, perhaps that's worthy of a thread all on its own.

Sometimes a picture or video is worth a thousand words, so if you have a link to a tutorial, feel free to post it BUT remember that usual BellyBelly guidelines apply (no links to commercial related sites or other forums, for starters).

If you haven't read the Welcome to find out who the mod team is for this area, it's HERE. You can direct any questions, suggestions, constructive criticism or gushing praise towards them.

(Tip - try using the 'Search this thread' function or Ctrl/Command + F to find a tip you're looking for)
    Last edited by ~TT40~; March 31st, 2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: fixing link

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

great idea Nelle!

It was Astrid's idea actually, I'm just doing what I'm told.

This is great, I might learn to sew after all

Okay.

Why does my thread come out of the top needle every so often? Is it just cos I don't have enough spare thread pulled through? I've done it on a few different tensions, so I don't know if it's a tension issue. Or is it just the result of having a cheap machine?

With tension...what do the numbers mean? My manual's in a sort of translated English so it's a bit tricky to grasp.

Do most people press things like hems before sewing, or just pin them?

That'll do for now.

Are you sure you're threading it properly Nelle?
    Mine used to do this too, but I worked out it was because I hadn't threaded it around the bobbin bit very well (yes, I use really technical terms lol)

I would check how you are threading your needle, then make sure you are holding onto it when you start sewing, and thirdly the tension may be too tight and the thread isn't feeding through, what brand is your sewing machine, that one someone may be able to give you a specific answer for your machine

Ooo oo have you oiled it lately, and given it a clean with the little brush that comes with it, also sometimes if you thread the needle the opposite way and see if that makes a difference, I had a really old machine (the motor was separate and if I didn't thread the needle from the correct side it would do the same thing

After just making some clothes for myself, I would definitely press the hem before sewing, it makes it a LOT easier and a neater job as well

Nelle - with the tension, mine goes from 0 - 9. 0 being very loose & 9 being very tight. If I have it too loose the bobbin thread will be loose on the bottom of whatever I'm sewing & will be untidy. If its too tight the top thread will pull too tight & break. Most stitches on my machine need it between 2 & 3. My machine is also tempremental & I have to change it often while sewing.
    Some machines from what I've read can have the numbers oppisite as far as I know. Mines a Jenome.

Oh I have a tip. Someone saved me a few months ago by sharing with me. Now mine is a pretty new machine. Has an auto thread bobbin etc. I was having problems with my top thread getting tangled on my bobbin case every time I tried a stitch. It almost drove me insane trying to work out how to fix it, thinking it was something to do with the bobbin case being broken.
    But all I needed to do was completely unthread & rethread the top thread & it was back to perfect
    Last edited by ~clover~; May 3rd, 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Oh it's a Homemaker, you know, the Kmart brand? DH has a really very wise policy, which is 'let's buy a cheap one first in case this is one of your 'phases''. I had to use a really cheap brand mixer for a few years before I got a KitchenAid, so it does pay off if I can prove I'll use it.

I'm threading the top thread from the front. I can't really understand the instructions, but that's what it looks like in the diagram! Although...they seem to also thread it through a part near the needle I can't even find. Errr...

I just oiled it and brushed it yesterday! It's amazing how much maintenance I do, just because I'm not actually sure how to USE the machine.

Thanks for the tension info! I think I actually have the bobbin thread sorted, after years of being scared of bobbins (after not listening in class and so not even knowing where it went).
    I've heard you can get little pressing irons just for sewing. They sound handy - I can't decide if that's incentive to get a cute little iron, or actually sort out my laundry system so that I can get the iron out for clothes efficiently. I know which option sounds more fun......

great thread Nelle!!! Ive only just learnt to iron a crease into something and OMG it makes the biggest difference!!! Word of wisdom though...dont iron in the lounge as the hot iron might fall on the carpet and leave a nice outline

Can someone explain binding to me please? I see 'binding' stuff everywere lately..it looks like a cotton ribbon and I want to know whats its used for.

Do you mean like bias Binding for necklines, sleeve holes etc? So instead of an overlocker edge, the binding fabric goes on top of it and is sewn down.

Gee I hope that's not confuzzling

ahhh yep I hink thats it P hon. How does it stay on then? does it have to be ironed on in place first?

Tbh I've been too scared to use it as I have NFI. It looks hard :/
    I will get my aunty to show me she's a seamstress

I think I may let google be my friend aswell
    thanks P hon...will let you know how I go

OH OH OH

found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUVCeYBUQ64

WOW it actually looks quiet easy.
    Last edited by maz; May 27th, 2010 at 08:57 AM.

There are some cool little tutes on Bias Binding on the net, I'll see if I can find one. I followed that to sew some bias binding on the bottom of a doll's dress, and it was atrocious, but I think I get the idea.

Here it is, it seems like there are (as usual) lots of different ways to do it, but here's the one I found.

Can anyone help explain why my sewing machine is dropping stitches?

It was sewing fine and then all of a sudden it started just sewing blanks... after I re-did the bobbin actually. I double checked the threading instructions and made sure I had the bobbin threaded correctly but it's still doing it. Every now and again athread will catch so it can look like my threads are 1cm long when they are supposed to be about 2mm.

When did you last change your needle? Is it an appropriate needle for the fabric (I.e what type of fabric is it? And if it's pul then I am running for cover...I have to use my industrial machine on that stuff).

Hmmmm...otherwise I would suggest checking your bobbin to make sure it's thread properly.

Double post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast