Thread: What's the difference?

Default What's the difference?

Ok so novice sewer here! I had a mini sewing machine as a teen and loved it. No idea what ever happened to it...

So, I was given my grandmother's overlocker and know NOTHING about them. My Nan isn't around anymore to ask so I thought the next best place is here

What's the difference between an overlocker and a sewing machine? Do you need both or just one? Thinking of starting to make some dresses for DD and some cushion covers etc to start with until I'm more confident. Should I go out and buy another sewing machine or will the overlocker do it?

Basic understanding is that overlockers are more for trimming off seams after sewing - at least that is what my mum does. The overlocker cuts as it sews - so things like buttonholes, zips, some seams could not be done with an overlocker, you would need a sewing machine.

I know virtually nothing, but I remember in home ec at school we made jumpers. We used the sewing machine to stitch the fabric together and the overlocker to go over that stitching to make that thick complicated looking stitch you see on the underneath of your tshirts and things (and if you were wondering, it sucks to unpick!)

Over lockers trim and bind the seams do they don't fray. Four thread over lockers also sew a seam. With an over locker you could make a basic cushion cover by overlocking three seams but you'd have to hand sew the final side and any closures.

A sewing machine is a great investment, and I think you really need both to make most items (depending on the fabric).

Default Re: What's the difference?

Thank you ladies

Guess I'm adding a sewing machine to my wish list