Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fav kids books of all time - Whats yours?

I'm reading The Enchanted Wood to my girls at the moment and they're loving it (me too - I love snuggling into bed with them). Almost as much as the reading, I love it when I take DD3 off DH to get her into bed and he's saying goodnight to DDs 1 and 2, and I can hear them soooo excited telling him all about what Moon Face has just done, or what world the Joe, Beth and Frannie have just visited.

Default Re: Fav kids books of all time - Whats yours?

Quote Originally Posted by LuluHB View Post
    I take DD3 off DH to get her into bed and he's saying goodnight to DDs 1 and 2, and I can hear them soooo excited telling him all about what Moon Face has just done, or what world the Joe, Beth and Frannie have just visited.
    Ooble Ooble Ooble!

One only? Too hard.

Some fave fave favorites: Picture books - Old hat, new hat (it was the book that told me I could read); The tiger who came to tea; The journey home (by Alison Lester). And about a million more.

Novels - Charmed Life (Diana Wynne Jones); Momo by Michael Ende. I also loved books by Joan Aiken but until recently they've been hard to get a hold of so haven't revisted any of them. Special mentions should also go to E Nesbitt (she of 5 Children and It fame), the Finn Family Moomintroll, and also there was a series of fairy tale volumes named after colours (eg the Red Fairy Book) which I adored and read every single one.

Looking for some inspiration for Christmas - lest I poke my own eyes out before reading some books we have for the 458,345th time

Double

For your kidlets?

My recommendation is have hundreds. Go to ALL the second hand places, and just buy up. We go to an annual second hand book sale in Blackburn where you pay by the kilo, and we just get dozens.

The reason?

Because ANYTHING will make you want to punch yourself in the face the 12th time you read it in 48 hours.

DS1 is currently hooked on the Berenstein Bears picnic one. To the point that despite the fact he doesn't know his letters yet, he can "read" it almost word for word.

Sure, repetition is important, but so is my sanity.

So we have loads, and I mean loads of books. Both my DSs have a bookshelf in their room and it's full (well, it would be if the books were actually on it, and not strewn all over the floor).

So I don't care if it's Dr Seuss or Mr Men or "that's not my meerkat" or Beatrix Potter or whatever - variety is indeed the spice of life.

Isabella's Garden. Beautiful book, very engaging in word and picture.

Usborne book's are great here, they inspire a lot of learning and intrigue. We have so many and I always want more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
    Isabella's Garden. Beautiful book, very engaging in word and picture.
    I love this too, dd1 was given for her first birthday and at 6 now reads it to me. I also enjoy the very hungry caterpillar and Graeme Base books I had then as a kid and now share them with my kids

Graeme base - my grandma lived in gooligulch, Anamalia, the eleventh hour
    witches and fairies - Eva-Montanari
    the blue day book for kids (more uplifting than you might think!)
    those aboriginal dreamtime books, I loved them as a kid! Can't recall the author though.
    ....just googled..... The rainbow serpent was one.... D.ick-Roughsey
    Last edited by myturn; November 10th, 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: It's a name, not just a male body part!!

It doesn't matter how many books you have they will always want the same one over and over for a while. We generally only use library, so if we are not keen on it only has a full four week life span. The Madeline books I enjoy as does DD, I love the pictures in them.

One I read in supermarket which liked the other day was by the same author as Gruffalo and called The Highway Rat. My childhood favorite was The Enourmous Crocodile - Roald Dahl. I also think DD is getting to age where would enjoy Dirty Beasts and Revolting Rhymes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123