Thread: Pride and Prejudice

Default Pride and Prejudice

Who else has read? Did you enjoy it?

I've just started. I've never read any classics, but have been reading books lately based in the 1800's & early 1900's.

Its very easy to read a book based in that era, compared to one written in that era. But I just read a series called 'Promises to keep', by Shayne Parkinson & it made me think I'd like to try it out.

Its easier when you've read other books & understand the time a bit better. I'm still not sure how much it'll interest me, but I'll give it a go

I'd love suggestions of good Australian based books if anyone has any I read 'The Light Between Oceans' a while ago. It was based close to where I live now & I really like knowing the area's I'm reading about.

Default Re: Pride and Prejudice

I've read all of Jane Austen's books. I love her.

Yeah, it's a good book. I also like the BBC version with Colin Firth. And Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

Have just finished Wuthering Heights again, which I do have to be in the mood for. Austen I can just read. I am currently reading The Three Muscateers, as I haven't for ages and the BBC inspired me again.

For older Aussie-based books, On The Beach (Neville Shute) and My Brilliant Career (Miles Franklin) are two that stood out for me.

We of the Never Never is one you might like or Picnic at Hanging Rock or All the Rivers Run.

Love Jane Austen. Such a witty ***** lol.

It's not Aussie but you might enjoy Vanity Fair. And ****ens is worth a shot too. Great Expectations and Oliver Twist are probably the most accessible.

Australian literature...... The Harp in the South. Ruth Park. It's set in the 1940's so it's a bit later than you're looking for but it's never been out of print. She also wrote Playing Beatie Bow. It's a young adult novel but if you didn't read it at school it's worth your time.

Miles Franklin wrote My Brilliant Career in the very early 20th Century.

Oh yes The Harp in the South and I read Playing Beatie Bow at school and (though I wouldn't admit it then lol) I enjoyed it! Oh and another 'A Town like Alice' was another goodie - I think it's by Shute.

I remember something about Playing Beatie Bow from school. I'm not sure we read the whole thing, but I remember it came up somewhere.

Might look it up & see how suitable it is for DD.

Thanks for the ideas. I've decided to read the sequel to Promises to keep first. I'll get that out of my head before I continue with Pride & Prejudice.

Have you read any Tim Winton novels? My favourite is Dirt Music. Set in WA too.

Playing beattie bow was one of my favourite childhood books. Must read it again! I think I read it in about grade 6??? Long time ago now!!

If you don't mind a more bleak author, helen garner is good.

Yes to Playing Beatie Bow and The Harp In the South.

I didn't particularly like Picnic at Hanging Rock, and the "secret" final chapter just peeved me right off ...

Came Back to Show You I Could Fly is an interesting one - a younger reading audience (same as Beatie Bow) but very readable.

Aussie ones ... I quite like the John Masden "Tomorrow When the War Began" series, and the Ellie Chronicles which follow them, and Gillian Rubenstein has some similar aged teen fiction.

I haven't read much Aussie adult fiction that I've loved.

I've read The Slap and some others, but I didn't really love them... some of them just seem to be controversial for the sake of it, or they're overly post modernistic which I just don't get a lot out of.

As far as classics go, pick a genre! I like Victorian crime writing, and some gothic fictions, but not all ... pure literature and classics ... shakespeare ... what do you like?

I like to read for information or for pleasure, so I tend to flick between non fiction and biographies, and drama/comedy/easy reads, with a classic here and there that's been gathering dust on the shelf for too long, in the "to be read" pile

I'm not exactly sure what my type is

I'm not into romance, or fantasy. I read the occasional crime/mystery, but not a lot. I like true type stories. I've read one called 'trafficked'. Written by a girl who was. I guess that was close to an autobiography?

I'm not real sure what genre you'd say. Maybe drama?

The last time I was right into reading, I was a teen reading sweet valley high! The kids are finally at an age where I have time, but if it's not a book I can't put down, I usually won't continue reading it. With 4 kids I don't have the brain capacity to read something I'm not really interested in. It just doesn't sink in lol.

I've got picnic at hanging rock in my iBooks. Looked at the slap. Haven't downloaded yet. I've sampled others that I thought would be a really good story, but not well written, so I can't continue
    50 shades I hated. But I read the trilogy so I could give that opinion. I looked at a book about a kidnapping, but it was so poorly written I couldn't keep going, no matter the story line.