Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to begin?

Default Re: Where to begin?

I have read alot from Feist, Hobb and Eddings. I have read the Belgarid. Though nothing recently, I suppose I should see what I have and haven't read, and what is new!

I just worry with those types of books that it might get a bit mixed up because the story lines can be so intertwined and in-depth. Maybe something a little more 'fluffy' would be good to start with.

Traci and Trudi are easy reads. Fluffy and girly with the fantasy angle in there - there are some twists and turns. But these are my go to easy reads when I just need something.

Then... There's twilight....

You inspired me MF!! Half way through january I decided I'd join you. I can't remember the last book I read.
    So I bought a couple of ebooks (Buddhism for Mothers and another fiction novel), and I couldn't put them down!
    I've decided I'll aim for a self help and a fiction each month.
    I've already finished my Feb fiction which was a book I bought by accident (clicked the wrong button lol and didn't realise until it downloaded ) but I couldn't stop reading. It was not a genre I'd generally even look at but I was sure hooked. Now have the last half of the 5 Love Languages of children to go

I so look forward to it, so thank you!

That's awesome Kim! I have been doing well, 4 books down already, lol. Well, 5 if I include the short one I downloaded too.

I ended up going with the Game of Thrones Series. Since I have watched the first few seasons of it, the first few books were fairly easy to keep up with despite being about 800 pages each! The next book will be the first one I haven't watched so we will see if I fly through them so fast if I don't have a sense of what is going on in them!

It feels good to be reading again. And you know what? My kids are reading more too. When I sit down to read a bit of an afternoon at rest time, they will sit with me and read or go through their story books too. Or they draw pictures and make up stories with them. So being a role model is an added benefit of doing something that I thought would be a pretty selfish pleasure!

My recommendation would be to go on goodreads.com and browse the genres that interest you. You can order them by general consensus and rating and read excerpts or short plot overviews, to give you an idea. This is how I usually choose my book. Depending on your previous knowledge of literature I would also suggest going back to some well-established classics. A lot of modern authors reference them and it is good to have at least some basic knowledge on older works of literature
    I hope you can find some nice stuff. My personal recommendation with rather easy-to-read language, but amazing content is Albert Camus' "The Stranger". The English translation is very good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12