Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Budget Recipes & Meal Ideas

I've been following some frugal blogs lately so I have heaps of recipes to try out. Will post soon.

Made this for dinner tonight. It's lovely. DD wolfed it down. I used less stock (half) so it was thicker and added avocado to the top instead of yoghurt (cos I didn't have any ). We had rolls with it.

Roasted tomato and lentil soup

Ingredients (serves 6)
    1.5kg roma tomatoes, halved lengthways
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 brown onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    6 cups Massel Liquid Chicken Stock
    1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
    400ml can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
    2 tablespoons basil leaves, finely chopped
    1/2 cup Greek-style yoghurt

Method
    Preheat oven to 220?C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, on trays. Drizzle with vinegar and 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes for 10 minutes. Swap trays over in oven and roast for a further 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a food processor. Process until smooth.
    Heat remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add stock, sugar and roast tomato mixture. Cover and bring to the boil.
    Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Stir in lentils and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
    Combine basil and yoghurt in a bowl. Ladle soup into warmed bowls. Top with a dollop of basil yoghurt. Serve.

love it

Okay....I made this last night and have been making it for years. It is CHEAP and EASY!

Continental Curry Chciken Pasta - family size
    Big can of Tuna in Springwater
    Optional - cooked frozen mixed veg

Cook pasta as per packet instructions and at the end add the drained can of tuna and mix through. i leave it on low as I mix it through to heat the tuna through.

Optional - also add the vegies.

Another option - i sometimes put it in a oven proof dish with bread crumbs and grated cheese sprinkled over the top and brown the top!

It truely is my lazy night dinner when it is just the pasta and tuna!

Enjoy!
    xxxx

Just signing up to get in on the cheap life!

Ella did you check out the www.120dollarsfoodchallenge.wordpress.com/ blog? It has lots of great recipes, and Sandra feeds a family of 4 on $120 a fortnight.

Thanks Rouge I had a look at her site last night. I'm thinking that I might sit down and try to do a proper meal plan for the next fortnight and see how much of a difference it really makes! Also really looking forward to those recipes you were going to share, any chance of hearing about them soon?

Can anyone give me some ideas for lunches as DF and I are not keen on sandwiches so we need to find something else.
    Last edited by Ella; June 7th, 2010 at 12:10 PM.

bump

i wnat your SUPER cheap recipes i want to buy this week and be able to use next week..
    I have $130 for all groceries except F&V for a family of 4

Oorki- Give me five mins I'll see if I can find the list I put up somewhere else.

Ok Here it is, this is my meal planning monthly menu, most meals are under $10 to feed 4 (I think there's maybe one a week that is treat night and cost $13-14.)

See if there is anything new there you like and I can give you the recipe:

Tuna Mornay, Bacon and onion tart with salad, Meatloaf with mash and veg, Honey soy chicken wings with fried rice, Chicken and spinach lasagne with salad, Roast Kangaroo with baked veg (very cheap from Coles), Homemade pizzas, Homemade hamburgers, Fettucine carbonara, Butter chicken and rice, Tacos, Roast chicken with baked veg, Sheppards Pie with salad, Pork ribs with potato salad, Home made chicken kebabs with fried rice, Home made fish and chips with salad, Spaghetti marina, Lamb chops with mash and steamed veg, Chicken snitzel and salad, Steak with mas and veg, Salmon patties with homemade wedges and salad, Chorizo sundried tomato pasta, Beef casserole with mash, Homemade sushi, Burritos, Roast Lamb and baked veg, Hamburgers, Terryaki chicken and Fried rice.
    Last edited by Ella; July 5th, 2010 at 08:48 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123