Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Food Hoarders Challenge

Default Re: Food Hoarders Challenge

Yay for awesome bagels. Boo for yoghurt. I found brisket bones in the freezer. Roasting them and the chicken frames now for the soup.

Think I need to join in with this challenge, I have so much stuff in my pantry that I could probably go a month with buying minimal pantry items.

My fridge and freezer are close to bare so I'm going to have to buy meat etc though, but first I'm going to go through my pantry and buy the ingredients that correspond with all those damn recipe bases I keep buying!

I will make some banana bread with the frozen bananas I have today. And maybe some cinnamon scrolls and cheese and vegemite scrolls with the 3, half used bags of flour!

You can freeze bananas??

I must learn what is freezable and what's not

I freeze and fruits or vegetables that are over ripe, and almost ready to go into the bin. I make them into muffins, smoothies, and (with my thermomix) slushies.

I totally made a large Portuguese tart for dessert and I chopped up salted fudge and dotted it on the bottom of the tart. So amazing. Made the soup and the bread. I swear we are like kings. Totally pulled a Mcgyver in the kitchen today

This makes you much more creative with cooking, that's for sure! I imagine it's how people cooked way back when, when shops weren't open 24/7 and produce wasn't available all the time.

I've been thinking about this more. I thought I had nothing meal-worthy in the pantry but had a look today and noticed a few things. I think I'm gonna see how long I can go with what we have here too. I know I'll need to but some things but, for a challenge, I'm going to limit the most I can spend to 'top up' what I've got to $5 a dinner. I figure that if I'm spending more than that I'm probably not doing a good enough job at using up what I have. I wonder how long I can go with this $5 max rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Rouge View Post
    I totally made a large Portuguese tart for dessert and I chopped up salted fudge and dotted it on the bottom of the tart. So amazing. Made the soup and the bread. I swear we are like kings. Totally pulled a Mcgyver in the kitchen today

I really don't think there is any need to ****-shame the Portuguese woman, truly.

Rocked it tonight here - chicken, couscous, last of the 3 different bags of frozen pea/corn/carrot mix from the freezer, left over caramelised onions from the pizzas, roast sweet potatoes and pumpkin, garlic, fresh parsley and a bucket of tumeric (luuuuurve tumeric) and the end of the Moroccan spice mix. So. Damn. Good.

Broke out the slow cooker this arvo (thanks Melbourne "summer") and defrosted some chuck steak from the freezer, plus a recipe base that I dug out of the panty and some veggies. Mashed sweet and normal potato. Yummy.

But we are absolutely out of fruit and veg. So, to the shops tomorrow. I will only buy fresh produce. Oh and things like cheese.

Edit: Rouge, recipe for the tart?

This week (since the 1st Jan) Ive spent $30 on groceries, minus two lunches (though one cost $30, but it was 230 with unfed kids, so we had no choice )
    Will probably hit $50 total tomorrow, as we have limited veggies, and are hosting a lunch playdate, and my sister/bi for dinner, so need salad for lunch and fruit for arvo tea, then some ricotta for my sisters cannelloni (the rest of us are having a tuna and veggie bake and I have the ingredients for that already)
    Not bad for feeding 4 people for the week, and another 7 people for 2 meals.

I just found a big bag of red lentils in the pantry. Any suggestions of what I should do with them?

Dahl, Soup or lentil burgers.

I didn't do anything yesterday. Ended up having eggs on toast. Tonight is chicken drumsticks and something. Don't know what the something is yet.

We have lots of potatoes ..
    Tonight I'm doing potato with lots or left over vegies , beans , lentils , tin tomatoes . Stock and some herbs from the pantry .

Yep dahl...yummm might see what i can dig out and make some tomorrow. i also add them to stuff with mince and veggies. No-one notices and it bulks it out.

Using some of my 17 pounds of flavoured butters tonight - steak and frozen veg, nothing special, but I luuuuurve flavoured butter!
    Herb, garlic and cayenne tonight.

Yum!!

I've hit boring!

I'm doing teriyaki chicken drumsticks and fried rice.

I did make an awesome smoothie after a good treadmill session with fruit stashed in the freezer

Teriyaki chicken and fried rice is exciting in my house. That's how bad I am at cooking I'm making a concoction out of chicken and pasta tonight.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast