Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone tried Slushy Cups?

Default Re: Has anyone tried Slushy Cups?

We got the ones from big w that you squeeze. One of them wouldn't work not sure why do I bought a new one and it was fine. I find the cordial takes longer to slush and doesn't go as slushy as soft drink. If you put the drink in the freezer first and then into the cup it slushed up almost instantly.

By the way, how do they work?
    Last edited by 2CheekyMonkeys; January 15th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Hmmm not sure, will look tomorrow

Thanks for the tip, will give that a try tomorrow

Thank you both!

We got one each for the kids for Christmas (Chill Factor)
    Lachlan's never froze at all. The inner lining was a funny colour as well compared to the other two. For them to work well they need to be in a deep freeze. Our freezer on top of the fridge doesn't really cut it. They say if it isn't freezing then you need to make the freezer colder if you can. I tried that but still didn't work, so into the deep freeze they went and have been fine since. They don't get used until I can push on the inside lining and have it crunch under my finger.

I went to get Lachlan a new one from Big W but they had sold out nation wide. I had to get it direct from Chill Factor.

Coke and soft drink work great in them, as does milk products. I ordered one for myself too and regularly have a slushee iced coffee which sort of resembles icecream at the end lol. Ashton had room temperature cordial the other night for the first time and it took ages to slushee, but did get there.

Bailey's doesn't slushee lol.

Soooo maybe I just need to be more patient lol
    Will try using really cold cordial from the freezer & yes mine live in the chest freezer as the regular freezer didn't freeze it.

We've got the squeeze one, works GREAT with soft drink but juice & cordial take extra squeezing, might try freezing the drink a bit first

The cup cells/cubes contain a salt water slurry. Salt water has a freezing point lower than water so salt water ice is colder than fresh water ice. So when you add another liquid, the heat from the liquid will transfer to the saltwater ice to reach thermal equilibrium. The heat will be taken from your beverage and cause it to chill, perhaps forming ice crystals.

Pure water should freeze best. As additional ingredients are added to the beverage, the freezing point will decrease so it will be harder to get them to turn to slushy. Diet drinks should freeze faster, having less sugar in them. Highly sugary drinks and things like juice with a complex matrix will take longer.

If you are having trouble getting cordial to slushy properly, you could try making the slushy with water then adding the cordial syrup on top.

Fat and sugar don't freeze well.
    That's why icecream works
    Like Arte said, use just plain water and add the cordial after.
    And I use chilled water in ours, and only have a freezer above the fridge and it works fine. Bunt I can only use it once a day, as it takes that long to refreeze again.
    We have the chill factor one.

The instructions say if you are having trouble getting it to freeze to add drink then pop in freezer for a few minutes and then squeeze away. I think it is talking about dairy drinks, but worth trying for cordial.

We have the squeeze ones and they work fine with cordial. It does help if the cordial is already cold, but we've had them work with room temp cordial too - it just takes longer and it's not as frozen.

My grandies have them, they love them. I think their mum got the slushy magic ones for them. They may have been appropriated for alcoholic beverages for the adults over xmas

Tried using cordial from the freezer this morning & it worked great.
    Slushed up nicely & was perfect.

Thanks for all the help ladies

I bought DS and all the nephews an ice cream making one, I think its the chill factor brand.. (from BIGW) I just pour in cold milk and a bit of flavouring then squeeze away, the kids love them..

These are a life saver! Have the ones from Big W, as it's a treat, the kids have had soft drink in them and it works very quickly.
    I find if the freezer is too cold, they don't freeze up as well.

DS1 was given and electronic slushee maker for his birthday, it's works well, it's a little noisy and takes more time than the Big W squeeze ones.

Someone posted on FB a gin and tonic one in it. Looked very refreshing. Might try a few ****tail like ones in them when the kids go to bed

I have the freezy hard inner cup one - I found that they don't work as well if you over fill them.

It was me who did the G&T in it and it worked a treat!

So..... Our two slushy cups from Xmas that were working fine have both stopped working. What's up with that? Not doing anything differently they are just not freezing as hard and either taking ages to get a semi slush or not slushing at all. Do they only work for a limited time?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12