Thread: Husbands Lunch Box

Default Husbands Lunch Box

Hi What does your husband take in his lunch box, my husband takes either left overs from the night before for lunch but if there are no left overs he takes a sandwhich, but I struggle to think of healthy filling snacks for him for the rest of the day. He takes rice cakes (salt and vinegar) which he loves and some sort of muesli bar but they are not really the best. No point putting fruit in because he works with it all day and can eat as much as he likes.

What ideas do you have?

We're pretty boring here..DH use to take leftovers, but found he was eating too much, (putting on weight) so now he has the same lunch 90% of the time. Mountain bread with ham, tomatoes and cheese and salt and pepper.

Sometimes he will take a steak sandwich if we have leftover steak.
    Like I said, pretty boring here

Dh used to work 12 hour shifts so I used to do a cooler bag of stuff for him. He worked in a very physical environment so I could get away with more "fattening" foods. Giving him a huge variety would stop him going to the snack wagon to get greasy foods.

He'd have leftovers for lunch or makins for a sandwich (cold meat, salad stuff, bread, container of butter). Then there would be the snacky stuff

Fruit'n'nuts (usually a tupperware container full)
    museli bars
    small packs of chips/popcorn etc
    tiny teddies/bite sized chocolates
    home made bikkies or slices
    cheese & crackers

bricks of drink - for helping with cooling
    small bottles of ice coffee (usually 2)
    frozen bottle or two of water - also helping with cooling

Wow, aren't you good girls packing lunch for your DH, or maybe I'm just a slack wife for not packing lunch for mine?????

Hehe Kris I was just about to post that my DH packs his own lunch. And mine too sometimes LOL.

Baking some scones, pikelets or muffins at the start of the week lasts for a few days of morning teas. Likewise, a roast dinner or corned beef gives a couple of days of yummy meat sandwiches.

Hmm, i've just started packing Shel's lunch, I do it the night before. I've bought a whole roast chicken and deboned it, frozen bits and she's had lavash wraps and tomorrow she'll be having chicken noodle salad (chicken + cooked instant noodles + some vege... cucumber, carrot, corn, alfalfa), ham and salad wraps, i made some mini baked omelettes with eggs, cheese, tomato, carrot, onion, ham, corn which have been frozen for her lunch too. Pita bread is good too for a change to normal bread. If I'm feeling extra specially nice I'll make pies or something. I make mine at the same time, even though I am at home I generally wont make myeslf lunch so end up snacking or just not having anything. Or she'll take leftovers... lasagne, fried rice, roast meat + salad wraps/sandwiches...

I don't really do much in the way of snacks as shel doesn't get time for a snack, but for her shorter break I make some muffins or cake (fruit or carrot if I'm feeling mean...erm I mean healthy LOL, chocolate if I'm feeling nice LOL). But you could send some of those SaKaTa biscuits? Rice chips? Those vegetarian snack things you can get near the chinese-y type food?

I always try to pack his lunchbox because he has hereditory high cholesterol so have to keep him away from the take away food shops.

Now I'm really feeling like a slack tart - Leasha you are one fab girl!

for a healthy snack you could try to do some kind of avocado spread on some crackers, or instead of butter/mayo, or incorporate some avo in a salad sandwich?

Hubby won't eat what I pack him so he just buys his own from a salad bar....i think. hahaha...I HOPE.

He's not so good at remembering to eat. Hence any food I pack him gets wasted.

DH is such a sook that he comes home for his lunchbreak (because if he stays at work he can get called back out to serve customers or cover for someone else while they go on *their* lunchbreak, so he comes home to make sure he actually gets a lunchbreak rather than a glass of water and then back to work)... He's not big on huge lunches, he gets all lethargic and can't function properly for the rest of the afternoon if he eats too much so lunch here is just two sandwiches with cold meat and salad, or maybe a hot dog if the weather's cold and he wants something to warm him up.

Aaron usually has a ham, cheese, mustard & mayo sandwich or leftovers for his lunch, he's pretty fussy! On top of that I usually pack in a few of the folowing for snacks, almonds, dried apricots, apple, grapes, vege chips or whatever Zander & I have baked that week (muffins, cookies, cake etc). Sometimes I will put in an after dinner mint or some other sort of chocolate as well.

chocolate doesnt last in our house he just cant stop at a couple of pieces he has to eat the whole lot, oh sorry he does leave one piece for me usually just to make it look like he considered me hhehehhe, cant even hide the chocolate he would sniff it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Salad View Post
    chocolate doesnt last in our house he just cant stop at a couple of pieces he has to eat the whole lot, oh sorry he does leave one piece for me usually just to make it look like he considered me hhehehhe, cant even hide the chocolate he would sniff it out.
    Lol..that sounds like my DH, which is why, when I don't want to share, I buy chocolate with mint...as long as it has mint in it, DH won't go near it...hahaha