Thread: Reviving stale bread/rolls

Default Reviving stale bread/rolls

Was just making my lunch and remembered a little trick I learnt from an old newspaper clipping in a 50's cookbook I have.

If you have whole bread (not sliced) that is getting a bit stale it's really easy to bring it back to beautiful freshness. Pop it on a tray in a preheated moderate oven (180) for about 5 mins. When you get it out it should be hot to the touch and slightly hard. Then take the bread and wrap in 2 tea towels and leave to rest for about 5-10 mins. You'll find your rolls are good as new. Soft inside. Lightly crunchy and taste as fresh as if you baked them yourself. A lot of people will reheat in the oven but the trick is to steam them afterwards in the tea towels for the best results.

I did it today with rolls purchased on Sunday. Tastes better than they did on Sunday and are perfect for my egg salad

Default Re: Reviving stale bread/rolls

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely be using it!

Awesome tip, will use that one for sure!

Oo will have to give it a go, thanks for the tip!

Similar tip: pass the whole loaf under the tap (ie so it's just wet) and then wrap in alfoil & heat. It rejuvenates thr gluten strands.

I'm not sure I could do that MD. I'd be scared of over sogifying it. But it's the same premise by the sounds.

Also my mum used to revive crackers and store bought biscuits by rebaking them for a few minutes. No need to steam though. Works for dead dry herbs too. Brings them back to life.

Really, it's just a quick splash. It works with dense & crusty type bread just fine. I've never tried it with a flimsy/fluffy bread.

I've refreshed cookies & biscuits in the oven too.