Thread: What are the 'healthier' pre-packaged snacks?

Default What are the 'healthier' pre-packaged snacks?

I know it's not great to have all of the packaged snacks in kids lunches, and I am trying to not include too much crap in my kids lunchboxes. My biggest problems are that my DS's are both really fussy and won't eat a lot of healthier things like meat/tuna/eggs or any vegetables. Also, my husband insists that they have some sort of packet stuff too (mostly because he never did, because his parents couldn't afford it for their 3 boys, and he felt deprived a lot).

So in trying to make everyone happy to some degree, I would like to try to find the more healthy pre-packaged foods. I've tried googling, but I can't seem to get any specific brands to come up.

Default Re: What are the 'healthier' pre-packaged snacks?

Not sure whether these are the kind of things you're after but my kids eat:

GoGurt
    Fruit sachet puree things
    Sunbeam have individually packaged fruit and nut mixes
    Parkers Pretzels
    Popcorn
    rice wheels
    Mini Babybell cheese
    Sakata rice crackers

Thanks Tinks. We do have yogurt, I usually buy the big tub of Jalna stuff and put it into little tubs to freeze for them. We can't have nuts in their school lunches (they have some severely allergic, anaphylactic kids in the school), we do have the mini parkers pretzels, though I think we have an issue of over-kill, because they're not eating them lately. I make home made popcorn for them sometimes, though I've been lazy, I should do it more often it's so easy in the microwave! I chop up cheese wedges for them with crackers and cabinossi as a treat sometimes.

I would like to avoid colours and additives as much as possible. DS1 gets a bit crazy with the overly processed stuff.

Most things that come in a packet are going to have the colours and additives in them though which is a problem. I buy bags of Frugos - you can get them in a big bag or in individual bags and they are just yoghurt covered fruit things. They aren't too bad.

Yeah, I know most packet stuff is crap. I would like to try to find the least crappy stuff, lol! The kids will only be getting one packet thing each in their lunches, so it wouldn't be too bad. They always get a sandwich, fruit/vegetable, something like yogurt/home made custard or cheese, a home made thing (muffins/biscuits/ slices...) and a packet treat.

Those frugos looks yummy, I will have to hunt some down!
    Last edited by MrsFabuloso; April 1st, 2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling

It's the catch 22 of it isn't it? You want to have the occasional convenience, but it's hard to find the good stuff. The frugos are generally in the health food aisle.

Eatrite (brand) Brown rice seaweed crackers. They have no added nasties and are the best rice cracker I have found. In the healthfood of both Coles and woolies.

Hommus on mountain bread is an easy snack but not completely packaged.

Rice or Corn thins with a spread.

My kids like the seaweed from sushi rolls, cut up in little pieces straight from the packet and they eat them!

Most so called healthy choices are not actually healthy. Don't be misled by marketing. Check your local healthfood shop for snack ideas too.

Good question, thanks for asking!

Popcorn
    Babybel and other less processed cheeses

Yeah, Baybel, Stringers (seem to be real cheese, just processed in such a way that they strip)
    Carmans have some kid/school friendly snacks like popcorn bars, apple star shaped biscuit things etc (I think they are based around being nut free)

We get the Chobani Greek yoghurts, dried fruit, sultanas or the dried fruit punch one (can't remember the actual name) there's not a lot of 'healthy' ones out there though. I think the rice wheels are good or sesame snaps just my kids won't eat those.

Thanks everyone!

I will have to go and see if our little IGA has any of this stuff. Another part of my problem is that we are in a remote town, with only a small IGA to shop in. Plus everything is heaps more expensive out here. I buy things here and then go to my mum's place in Sydney and get the same things, and they're so much cheaper!

The only prepackaged items I let in the lunch box are colby cheese sticks (Bega) and a half a mini-box of sultanas (even though it's a small box because too much sugar and my 4yo goes off the rails). I did buy some packaged plain mini rice cakes but they had more salt than the ones I usually buy and I didn't want to get the ones with added flavours so I reverted back and give him a couple of plain ones with a smear of jam (as a treat). I also put yoghurt into little containers and freeze them so they defrost before lunch. Other than that, make vegetmite cheese twists and these always go down well. He loves them! Just defrost a sheet of puff pastry, top with vegemite and parmesan, fold over, cut, twist and bake.

Oh, and your husband sounds like mine.....grrr - he'd put heaps of "no's" into the lunchbox if I let him.

My hubby would fill their lunch boxes with junk if he could! But I think I need to respect his view and be reasonable. Some people might think it silly, it's junk food and no-one needs that in their diets, but clearly to him, it's more than just about the food. He's 35 and it still bothers him that he didn't get packaged foods or treats in his lunch box when he was a kid. So it's more than food to him, and that makes it important to me too. But I will draw a line. One shop brought snack a day is fine. I don't mind, but too much more than that and I will turn crazy protective mumma bear!

Dried fruit is much sexier in the little individual serve boxes. They come in a variety of fruit combinations, so you might have dried apples in with the sultanas.

I use many of the ideas already suggested, but I also add an occasional rotation of plain potato chips (but only brands that contain nothing else except potatoes, oil, salt). It's not the maximum healthiest thing but the kids appreciate having it every so often.

In summer we freeze individual yoghurt pots, and on very hot days I send frozen fruit juice (the kids rip them open like icecups).

FWIW - I think lunch box "treats" have more to do with variety than whether it comes from a shop or not. I often send a container of savoury leftovers (eg pasta) or a small container of dip with things to dip into it. The kids love that kind of thing.

That's fair enough MrsF. I didn't get treats either so I know where he is coming from.
    The occasional packet of crisps isn't going to damage your child.