Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orthodontist - no adult teeth

Default Re: Orthodontist - no adult teeth

Wow, you know i didn't even knpw this was a thing!!
    Wishing all the best for your daughter

From what I've read, its quite common to still have one or 2 baby teeth. It's more common for people to be missing teeth than having extra teeth.
    But once there are a few more missing it can be an issue. I've read that the whole shape of the jaw can change & you can eventually loose the room to have adult sized teeth in that place.

Her 2 top first molars haven't come in. Her eye teeth have now decided to spread out & sit where her molars pretty much should be. I actually had a look & now see why her teeth are so gappy. They're just making the most of all the room!

So I'm thinking braces might be the first step. Bring the teeth back to where they should be?

Again, just me guessing.

Debt, come at me! Lol

How old is she Clover? None of us are experts and don't really know what treatment she'd need. I'd probably have a consultation with an orthodontist (or 2) so you have an idea of what needs to be done and whether it's urgent or not. You don't need a referral.

She's 9. Will be doing that when I can. Will make it for after christmas now I'd say, as we have to travel.

I wouldn't panic yet, she's still within age range for this teeth to appear, DD has a tooth missing from almost 2 years ago, it's there, just slow to come down. She needs ortho work next year (she's 8) to make room for adult eye teeth as they're impacted, your dd may have similar issues, you need an OPG done before you see ortho, dentist can give you referral and that's bulk billed, if you like pm me a photo of her teeth etc...
    Xxxx

Thanks, I might do that.

20141205_210121.jpg

I can't attach a photo to pm unless it has a url? How can I do this? I can post one/post here though from my pc??

The one I've attached here is the top. On one side she's missing her eye tooth, but has 3 molars. The first of these molars is the 'sunken' one. On the other side she only has one molar & her eye tooth is right around where a molar should be by now. This is why I think braces or something may be needed before anything else is done? There is no room now that her teeth have moved for them to come down even if they are there...

20141205_210130.jpg

This is the bottom. Eye teeth still missing. I can't remember when she lost them though, so may not have been that long ago.

Ok, there are issues I'm afraid with the top, yes she's missing molars, did she get molars at 1 and 2 years?? That single molar looks like her 6 year old molar but could be her D or E tooth (baby tooth) the sunken one could mean she's missing the adult premolar but you can't tell without X-ray.
    Bottom teeth, did she get her baby eye teeth? If she did and they've exfoliated, then the might nit be through yet due to lack of space.
    My guess would be for the uppers would be braces to align teeth, upper plate with molars attached (partial denture) with a view to getting implants later, BUT the adult teeth may be there, just high/ impacted. Get an OPG ASAP, either where you live or where your travelling too, get the films to take with you. PM a photo if you like, but darl, don't panic, it's fixable, get in touch with your public funded ortho program xxxx

Check out giveasmile.org.au

She saw a dentist at 4 & they didn't think there were any issues. I know she had her 2yo molars. Got them around 13 months. The next lot I couldn't be sure. Maybe she didn't get that one. I haven't paid attention & she didn't see a dentist again til 18 months ago. That's around 3/4 years between visits :/

When I say I'll be travelling, I mean I have to travel to see a dentist. There is one 60kms away every month or 2, but they travel. The nearest actual dental surgery is 140kms away. The next around 200kms. I'll get in contact with a couple on Monday & see where I can get in & what I can do.

I did see the give a smile page. Will be trying to get some help anywhere I can. Might even contact child support again. For fun

Thank you so much for your input Olive. I had an idea, but only because I googled... It's always good to know what I may be in for before I walk in

Pleasure lovely

With molars, they get one lot around 12 months, second lot around 2 year, these teeth fall out around 12/13 and become adult premolars.
    Around 6 they get their first adult molars.

OPG gets done at radiographers, most should do them.

Ok. Well she hasn't lost any molars yet. So I'm guessing it just never came down. Nothing was said when she was little though.
    I'm wishing now I had paid more attention.

They won't want to wait til she looses her baby teeth will they?

This is why they say regular check ups people. Take note

My guess is they will start as soon as possible, either at your expense or when they can see her through public, definetly get the ball rolling asap

So how do I find out where to get this OPG done? I just called the dentist that visits weekly, but they can't do it here. They can do it in their office, over 3 hours away. She couldn't help with where else I could get it done. I'll go into the van again today & see if he has any new info. I think the closest I'll get is 3/4 hours away...

Can braces be checked by a dentist? Or will she have to return to the ortho every 6 weeks?

DD had hers done at our local radiology place.

We have to go back to the ortho every 6-8 weeks, they change the wires and check everything is ok. DD broke hers once while eating Mentos so we had to make and extra trip there to get it fixed. It's a bit of a commitment but worth it in the long run. Ours is just over an hour away from my house.

Because you're in a remote area, they may have other options available for you.

This sucks. I'm hoping for other options right now, but I don't know. Having 6 weekly check ups is going to break me if I have to go to Perth for every one.

Got some serious thinking to do about the future I think. Back home there were 4 orthodontists just in coffs harbour... 40 minutes away from where I was living.

Ok. Will see if this dentist has gotten anywhere with a referral, or any info. If not there's a dentist 2 hours away available to give the referral for the xray (at the hospital, closest full hospital to us!) AND a referral to the orthodontist that visits there after a consultation.

So since the one where DD is going to school is booked out, at least there is another option that isn't Perth. Hopefully they'll be taking new patients! Might look them up & check....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast