Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Parent Teacher Interview

Default Re: Disappointing Parent Teacher Interview

Quote Originally Posted by nothing2lose View Post

After all, why should my child be interested in her education if I can't even go and introduce myself to her teacher?? What message does that send about how much I value the importance of her time spent at school? How otherwise does she know I care about what she is doing with the bulk of her time?

I don't think that you can base a parents level of caring about their child's education on how often they check in with the school.

As far as my child is concerned, he knows that mum and dad go to work, and his job is to go to kindy, listen, be respectful and try his hardest.

He is well aware of how much we value his learning based on many of the play/reading/drawing activities we do together and the pride we show in any of the artworks he brings home.

However, I am very careful to try as much as possible, to leave his relationships with his peers and teachers, between him and them.
    His time at school (anytime away from us for that matter) is time out from us for him and his own chance to explore his world, it's boundarys and it's expectations.
    If I was to turn up at school on weekly/monthly basis for no reason other that to "check" on him, what message am I sending him? That he had better to well, because I am watching?

No.

I expect to be made aware af any major hiccups, but I also expect that his teachers are capable enough to sort and rectify out any minor issues ie being silly for one day or not doing a set task without resorting to having to "dob" him in to me.

I think that, in some circumstances,too much parental involvement in school is a little like sharing a house with your boss.
    And who wants to do that?

We have three way interview twice a year, a few weeks into the school year then again at mid year

Doing my best - that is what I imagine too for a communication book (but the OP could clarify) something similar to that is what I remember from school too, and the parent would sign it to show had read.

Astrid - I think that is a great idea - everyone knows where they stand then. That is the sort of thing I am getting at about the nature of the relationship being defined - if schools want parents to meet them and check in etc tell them.

I verbally communicate face to face with ds2's teacher at the end of the day. Just a quick 'how did he go today?' She will let me know of any issues or things that he's doing well. We also meet up twice a term for a 40min chat. Ds1's teacher I at least make eye contact, smile and say hello to every morning. Once again, she says that she is available every afternoon for a chat if I want to. They are also both on their email, even at night or on weekends if I need to communicate. Maybe this makes me a part of the playground glitterati? Not sure, but I love being heavily involved in their education and knowing exactly what is going on.

Astrid, my understanding is that all state schools in Victoria (at least) have these types of info sessions at the beginning of the school term.

Quote Originally Posted by nothing2lose View Post
    Astrid, my understanding is that all state schools in Victoria (at least) have these types of info sessions at the beginning of the school term.
    Yes we do.
    Week 2 of term 1 is meet the parent and teacher. Spread over the last 3 weeks of term 2 is parent teacher interviews as reports come home. Mid term 4 we have another parent teacher interview prior to reports coming home again.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    We have three way interview twice a year, a few weeks into the school year then again at mid year
    See, this sounds perfectly reasonable.

I can't imagine not introducing myself to the teacher early in in the piece, letting them know I am available by ph or email 24/7.

But in all likely hood my child will start catching the bus to school in second year ( his choice, he desperately wants to go with the other kids in the st) so I won't be doing the pick up at the class door thing from school.

It shouldn't have to be spelt out to you that it is the best interests of your child to keep in regular communication with their teacher. Don't you want to know what's going on in your child's life?

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
    It shouldn't have to be spelt out to you that it is the best interests of your child to keep in regular communication with their teacher. Don't you want to know what's going on in your child's life?
    Yes, but the arguement here is what is an appropriate level of involvement?
    I mean, you see the teacher everyday, are you implying that anything less is not enough?
    Nobody is suggesting that you put your kid on a bus day one in prep and wipe your hands of the whole deal. But rather, what level of communication is reasonable and expected.

This is ridiculous, I know what is going on in my child's life by talking to my child, as do many many parents. Those people who want to check in about their child every day, every week whatever - go for it, but not doing it is not failing in your duty as a parent, unless the school has explicitly stated that you should be doing this. Beginning and mid term sounds ideal to me, but even if you haven't met them then doesn't absolve them of their responsibility to keep you informed.

As I said I don't check in with kinder all the time, I ask DD, they send home 'learning stories', I am very interested in what she is doing, but her view is what is important and unless there is an issue I don't need to speak to the various teachers there, some of who I have never met.

No I'm not implying that at all. That is the level of involvement that I feel comfortable with at this point in time in my son's education. Obviously this is not going to be the appropriate level for everyone. I find it disappointing though that the op thinks it's appropriate to complain about a parent teacher interview when it has been her first time meeting with the teacher, six months into the school year.

I think that it is ridiculous to suggest that you know everything that is going on, just by getting your child's perspective.

I have met with my DD's teacher four or five times this year for 30mins or so. I have also written notes or phoned for specific issues. She is in grade 6. I'm not suggesting you need to be there every day, or even every week but to not have introduced yourself by the end of term 2 is not optimal in my opinion and I know the school would think it less than desirable too.

So by not having 'met' the teacher you forfeit any right to feel like you should be informed by the school when you need to be?

If the OP hadn't mentioned this was the first time had met the teacher would peoples reactions be different? How many times do you need to meet the teacher or 'check in' so you can complain about the lack of communication from the school?

Many of you are implying that the school must inform parents of going ons at school, that they're obligated, but yet it's still ok that parents haven't bothered to meet the teacher

Quote Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
    So by not having 'met' the teacher you forfeit any right to feel like you should be informed by the school when you need to be?

If the OP hadn't mentioned this was the first time had met the teacher would peoples reactions be different? How many times do you need to meet the teacher or 'check in' so you can complain about the lack of communication from the school?
    I think at least once is a good start.

If the OP had said, 'I have spoken to the child's teacher previously and this has not come up', that would be different. I think the school should have contacted the OP when issues arose, yes. But you can't complain about a lack of communication when you aren't communicating yourself. And, ultimately, if a parent isn't going to be proactive about the welfare of a child, who is?

I find it staggering that people wouldn't want to be involved in their children's education, even at such a basic level as meeting the teacher. I mean, how onerous is it?? Why wouldn't you?????

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    Many of you are implying that the school must inform parents of going ons at school, that they're obligated, but yet it's still ok that parents haven't bothered to meet the teacher
    I strongly suspect that a school has written guidelines or a charter about when they will contact parents. Do schools have a similar charter for parents saying they need to arrange to meet the teacher? Or info will only be provided to those who do?

The Victorian education website, does not anywhere suggest that you need to be checking in with teacher or meeting unless you have a specific issue to address.

I think that it is ridiculous to suggest that you know everything that is going on, just by getting your child's perspective.
    Exactly this... I love to hear my child's perspective more than anything, but I also, and just as importantly, like to know how my child is progressing from the perspective of the teacher and to make sure they are up to the standard they should be. I rely on their judgement and guidance to give my child extra help where they need it, and praise where they excel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast