Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS's High School was in lock-down on Monday

Default DS's High School was in lock-down on Monday

and I only just found out. DS has just told me that a yr8 boy had knives at school and the police were called, that's all he knows. I thought it would have been normal practice for the school to let parents know via a letter at least, I'm just a bit shocked I suppose.

Regards,
    Dianne

Our school goes into lockdown a couple of times a year at least. Not cause of anyone inside the school, but usually ex students trying to cause trouble. The school gets a tip off so they go into lockdown.

We never get a letter. We only find out cause of being on the committee's.

I feel for you - I know how horrible lockdown is. DH has to go through at least once every 2 weeks due to gang fights, fires, truant kids gone bad, weapon attacks (both on students and teachers) and verbal threats which could turn into physical threats.

Wow, just didn't think it was that common. This is the first time it's happened as far as I know but at least the school takes the appropriate action required to keep the children safe.

Regards,
    Dianne

Diane, my DH works in a really rough area, so it's not uncommon there. But if it's a really nice area, then it's not really a common thing.
    I hope your not stressing too much

Wow, they never had lock down when I was at school. We had someone come in & threaten someone with a knife once. I still to this day don't know if mum knew, coz I don't think I mentioned it.
    Scary to know my kids could be there one day.

My kids primary school went into lockdown a couple of years ago (I can't go into details), police surrounded the place and everything. I was petrified, they didn't go back to school for a few days.

we had a mad gunman go through our school when i was in final year. the school didnt tell us what was going on (they probably didnt know actually!), only when the police in black riot gear and helicopters started landing did we realise something was up. we went into lockdown and the 'safety' measure they had for us was to lock the classroom doors and hide under the desks lol.

in the end the lockdown failed because the police had been shot at and two officers were critically injured, so the principal put through a message that they had pulled back and we were to make our own decisions on how to get home

the teacher was horrified and offered to take some kids home in her car. my bestie and i had to fend for ourselves as our parents were at work (and this was before mobile phones lol). so we walked home and it was the scariest thing ever. later that night our suburb was full of police etc and we were advised to not go outdoors. lasted a good four days.

Dianne how scary and I'd be pretty cranky at not having been notified. I guess though it may have been a pretty low level event (I guess a kid taking a knife to school without specific malicious intent is very different to someone coming armed with a purpose in mind), one of the teachers may have triggered the lock down as a precaution rather than because there was any degree of risk, kwim? Still, as a parent I would still want to know, so it's worth speaking or writing to the school about it.

we went into lockdown and the 'safety' measure they had for us was to lock the classroom doors and hide under the desks lol.
    That's pretty much what a lockdown is, still, except they train the kids up to get to the nearest safe lockable area (if they're outside the classroom), lights go off and curtains drawn, and they have different sirens depending on the nature of the emergency. At our last school there were two tiers of emergency, one was called a lock in and one was called a lock out (couldn't tell you the difference) but they practiced it regularly and the kids all knew what to do. Cass what a horrible thing to be caught up in and clearly demonstrates why schools need to have good lockdown practices.

how scary, does lockdown mean they close all the doors, so the students are inside?

how scary, does lockdown mean they close all the doors, so the students are inside
    Yep

I am a youth worker in work in a number of different schools. Each school had different things that happens.
    All of them designed to keep students safe. Some get kids to sit along the wall under the windows (with windows closed and locked) lights out and doors locked, some sit under desks with lights off, doors locked. Some schools have alarms/sirens and some have a message that goes over the loud speaker. Something like " if xyz is in the school can you please attend at the office " when the lockdown is over the message will be "xyz has been located"
    Some schools I work in also closes and lock gates also.

Cass, sounds like what happened at my primary school once. I was year 7 and they had a gunman holding people hostage at the house at the back of the school. Guy thought it'd be smart to outfox the police by running through the school. Idiot

oh yeah! now i remember that after our *incident* we had all these new measures brought in, including the secret squirrel loudspeaker message! we had to practice it for a bit that year.

it was a pity though that we werent offered counselling. i know that quite a few students were affected by the shock of it all and it did disrupt our final year in many ways: mostly because the person in question was known to students and lived in the same street/suburb etc. he was later found dead in our local reserve and i remember that until that happened (maybe 10 days) people in the area were all really on edge.

ah well, i do think that from it though the school did learn some important management techniques and no doubt have more effective policy in place for care of students post situation.

Quote Originally Posted by **Sunshine** View Post
    Yep

I am a youth worker in work in a number of different schools. Each school had different things that happens.
    All of them designed to keep students safe. Some get kids to sit along the wall under the windows (with windows closed and locked) lights out and doors locked, some sit under desks with lights off, doors locked. Some schools have alarms/sirens and some have a message that goes over the loud speaker. Something like " if xyz is in the school can you please attend at the office " when the lockdown is over the message will be "xyz has been located"
    Some schools I work in also closes and lock gates also.
    thanks for explaining

Our school went into lockdown again today. A student this time walking around with either a pole or a crowbar. Doors got locked and kids had to go under desks.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrolady View Post
    Our school went into lockdown again today. A student this time walking around with either a pole or a crowbar. Doors got locked and kids had to go under desks.
    Wow, must have been scary for the children.

Regards,
    Dianne

How scary, I never realised such a thing was commonplace. It's a good thing that children are aware though, I still remember the Dunblane shooting tragedy in Scotland where a man went through the school shooting prep and grade 1 kids. Everyone was so terrified but perhaps if there had been a safety system in place some of the kids could have been saved.

Well it turns out it was a huge fight between the x kids and the y kids. I don't want to say their specific titles. The x kids called their mates outside of school to say this fight was going to go down so students who didn't belong to the school rocked up with knives etc.

Lachlan my 6yr old was in Indonesian at the time near where it was all happening. All he has done since being home is talk about how he is going to join the police force when he is bigger so he can tell the bad people off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast