Thread: Grade 5 and "hates school"

Default Grade 5 and "hates school"

I know it is partly tiredness and partly hormones (hers not mine lol) but the number of days I have to battle with dd to get her to school is increasing. One of my aims as a parent is to instill a good work ethic into my child so the constant battle to get her to do homework and recently to explain to her why going to school is important is doing my head in?
    Is it a phase? Any advice would be helpful? Lives her teacher and her friends and is happy when she actually gets there.

It could just be a phase, but it could also be that something is happening at school that she isn't telling you about. You know what kids can be like, maybe there is something happening that she doesn't like, new groups forming, or *****y stuff. I went through the same sort of thing with my middle DD, and it took me ages to get it out of her, because she knew that I would go up to the school and sort it, I don't stand for any crap.

I'm not saying this is the case but that it may be an idea, or it could just be hormones, and tiredness.

My DD is the same age. Tiredness is definitely an issue.

My son has hated school from year 2. This year is the first year I haven't had to battle so hard to get him to school. He is in Year 4 now.

Anything going on at home? I dealt with a child with school refusal...turns out she didn't want to leave Mum at home as Mum was depressed and she was worried about her....

And yep, kids that age hide stuff as they're old enough to know their parents worry...

It's very hard to pinpoint what it could be. Is it normal? I don't think all kids go through it. Is that bad? Not necessarily.

My DD loved year 5 she had an awesome teacher and found the year really exciting. She also had public speaking that year which she loves and excels at.

But I remember asking her why she thinks kids hate school. She said there's usually 3 reasons. Education, friends, or stuff at home. Work is too hard, too easy or the child feels the teacher doesn't allow them to be themselves (that was one I didn't expect), friends is pretty self explanatory, and home can be anything...At our school we've had deaths (this was us in 2011), separation, financial struggles, cancer etc. and it all effects a child. Especially as the older they get the more they take on.

And then there is what others have said... Tiredness. This time of year it really starts to show more too.

Thanks ladies. All good this morning after a good night's sleep. I think tiredness is a big factor but yes they do worry about thing more. Prior to this year she hardly told me anything about school but this year needs to debrief on what has happened during the day quite often.
    I think I will sit her down tonight and see if I can find out if there are any underlying issues, as I hadn't really thought about that.

Quote Originally Posted by anney View Post
    Thanks ladies. All good this morning after a good night's sleep. I think tiredness is a big factor but yes they do worry about thing more. Prior to this year she hardly told me anything about school but this year needs to debrief on what has happened during the day quite often.
    I think I will sit her down tonight and see if I can find out if there are any underlying issues, as I hadn't really thought about that.
    That's good to hear anney. Fingers crossed it was just a bout of tiredness. But talking is always a good thing