Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor report card results and no contact from teacher!

Default Poor report card results and no contact from teacher!

I am looking for thoughts and opinions on this
    My daughters report card has just come in and she has received D for achievement in maths and English but B and C for effort. She received similar results last report card. I am concerned as to why she is not getting average or above average results when she is putting in the effort?? And more concerning is that we have not been contacted regarding this, there has been no request for parent teacher interview or suggestion of further help for her! Comments are she grasps basic English and basic maths, she probably should be receiving more help if she is just grasping the basics in grade 3!!!! I really dislike her school and feel class sizes are way too large, children receiving below average results seems to be looked upon as normal and require no further attention. If I had my way she would be going to a private school where she would probably get the help she needs.
    Am I expecting too much or is my concern well warranted??
    Thank you

If she's getting a C for effort then a D seems to be a logical outcome for achievement.

Requests for parent/teacher interviews needn't be instigated by the school, in fact if a parent/teacher interview isn't a standard part of the school's reporting process I would assume that the onus is on you. If you have concerns then contact the school and set up an interview. Are you in regular contact with the teachers throughout the term? I try to touch base at least once a fortnight just to ask if everything is going ok and if there is anything I need to know about.

What about opportunities to volunteer in your children's classrooms? It gives you a chance to observe the classroom dynamic for yourself and also helps you to get to know your children's teachers and classmates.

ETA - if you dislike the school it is very possible that your daughter has picked up the vibe from you even if you haven't been explicit about it to her. That could have an impact on her attitude towards school. FWIW I don't think that a private school would necessarily be any better. There are awful and amazing schools in both systems and most of them are neither. Academic outcomes are often related more to parental influence than schools so it is entirely possible that poor results are the norm at your school and that this is not due to the class or the school.
    Last edited by Phteven; June 20th, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

Maybe I am working on an old school grading where a D achievement is not a good one?? I have contacted teachers in the past and asked how she is going I am always told she's going fine so I assumed she was doing fine. I requested that she repeat prep because I felt she was struggling back then but was told she looks like she is doing fine and repeating is not school policy . I will be asking for an interview this time round. I help her with homework and she does fine, I do need to help her out on occasions which I think is normal. Unfortunately I work full time and cannot volunteer at the school her behaviour and interactions with other classmates is fine there's no issue there. I just can't understand why a D level achievement is not brought to your attention until reporting time.

Knowing the school that you are talking about - I would switch her. As discussed on facebook, when DS went to that school he was doing great - until we switched him to another school and they picked up that even though he could read lots of words at a high level - his comprehension was quite low. His teacher at that school NEVER told me that, kept on telling me how wonderful he was doing, he was the best reader in the class etc etc.

It took his new teacher at his new school to realise his comprehension was at a level 8, and not level 20 like the old school said.

I say switch her. They are only after results at that school and totally gloss over the fact that other kids are struggling. They push the ones that can easily achieve above average levels so they can get more money.

Not sure if Qld is different but in Vic a C means at expected level a
    a D is slightly below , might be worth checking what they mean first.

I'm in NSW, but we also use A-E descriptors. I found the descriptors below for Qld.
    The QCAR Standards guide reporting of student achievement and progress in Years 1–3. They are as follows:
    A Evidence in a student’s work typically demonstrates a very high level of knowledge and understanding of concepts, facts and procedures, and application of processes.
    B Evidence in a student’s work typically demonstrates a high level of knowledge and understanding of concepts, facts and procedures, and application of processes.
    C Evidence in a student’s work typically demonstrates a sound level of knowledge and understanding of concepts, facts ad procedures, and application of processes.
    D Evidence in a student’s work typically demonstrates a limited level of knowledge and understanding of concepts, facts and procedures, and application of processes.
    E Evidence in a student’s work typically demonstrates a very limited knowledge and understanding of concepts, facts and procedures, and application of processes.
    Based on the above descriptors, your DD is probably performing below the standard for her age/grade/stage level, however the outcomes/standards she is being assessed against may be for the end of year three or even the end of year four (if assessment is across stages- not sure in Qld) so it may not be as bad as it looks. However, she may need extra assistance with literacy and numeracy. She may well be receiving some already? What programs are running within the school?

As for effort equalling achievement, unfortunately that is often not the case with regards to grasping literacy and numeracy concepts. Practising at home would be of huge benefit though.

My concern is what contact did you make with the school after the last report card? Have you attended parent/teacher interviews, class orientation at the start of the year? You need to develop a relationship with your child's school (whichever school that may be). Schools have finite resources (financial and otherwise ie time) and if the demographics mean that many students have additional learning or behavioral needs, then students who are at least gasping the basics are probably not the first priority. That said, I'm sure your child's teacher would be only to happy to give you guidance on what you can be doing to help her improve.

Yep, these days 'c' means working at year level and 'd' being below. If you're concerned request a meeting with the teacher

This is a very sensitive subject to me, it's very disheartening to see your child is struggling with school work and not achieving results they should be at this stage of their schooling life. It's kind of a slap in the face and I feel that I have failed her a little as a parent because I am not more involved in her schooling. However, I feel that the school has failed us by saying "your daughter is doing fine" but then slap her with a D for achievement. I think the school has a duty of care to advise when a student is struggling instead of saying here's a D she's not where she should be. After the last report card her father attended a parent teacher meeting and was told she can put a little more effort in but doing fine. I am looking into tutoring for her to give her a boost.

On a good note she is doing fantastic at art and PE
    Last edited by 2girlz; June 20th, 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Don't think ofit as a "D" though, the new system isn't like the old one we are used, very few students achieve an A now because its basically over 1 year ahead. A D means she is probably a out 3-6 myths behind where they would expect her to be for this time of year but a pt interview will iron out where her knowledge might be lacking and what you could do at home.

Report cards in my opinion are waste of time, both the parents & the teachers. They are not individualised reflections of your childs achievements. Meetings with your teacher are the best way to go about it, even then in my experience so far you still need to really dig to get the full picture.

Thank you that was very helpful and makes a lot of sense because she is one of the youngest in her class

I understand you are concerned and have been for a while. However it's not the teacher's job to instigate the interaction with parents. They have provided you with feedback by way of reports & every school we've ever been provides regular teacher interview opportunities. As a parent you can request a meeting with the teacher at any time, and if you have concerns then don't ever let an interview opportunity pass you by.

It's your child, you drive the bus.

I used to come onto this website to get help and guidance, I thought I would get that tonight however I seem to be getting a lot of criticism for not contacting the school more often. I am a full time worker and up until recently I was a single mum dealing with a lot and on my own. I am not perfect but neither is anyone else on this planet. I am not the only one in the situation of bad report cards and not knowing your child is struggling until it's too late. My daughter is very proud and obviously too proud to say something and let me know she is struggling (she may not even know she is struggling). I am not with my daughter while she is at school I WORK FULL TIME... Why can't the teacher send a letter home saying hey your daughter is struggling just letting you know or write a side note in her homework book next to her hand written marking. The school never seems to have a drama sending letters home when they need money. And If I knew the bus was crashing I would have swerved.
    Last edited by 2girlz; June 20th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.

I don't think the bus is crashing.
    A c is working at expected level for the year. A d is slightly behind but it's not a disaster.

OK so maybe I got a little cranky there, we're not crashing just stalling

Im sorry you are feeling attacked. The education process goes both ways. I don't think you should be solely responsible for contacting the school to find out how your child is progressing. But the school should contact you if they think your child is having difficulty at school. I understand your worry when it comes to the report card, and yes I would be contacting the school to make a time for a meeting with the teacher. But I also wonder whether your dd's results were not picked up until report time, or that they are not in the lowest performing group in the class. Perhaps being the mid year report your dd's teacher is noting where she requires assistance but has faith that with work she will improve in the second half of the year.
    My advice is call the school in the morning, make a time for an appointment and talk tot eh teacher about your dd's report card and progress. You are not at fault but also I don't think the school is either, especially if she is not in the bottom group of achievers in the class.

Another idea would be to get her teachers school email addy and keep in contact that way from now on.

Huge hugs huni...I find even in the UK reports arent a true view of how you are doing. Much love and hugs xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast